Mission Accomplished Capti-tan :mdpatriot

I just ripped the text from the OP and sent it to:

Delegates
    Guy Guzzone
    Shane E. Pendergrass
    Frank S. Turner

Senator
    James N. Robey

Ah, I see you're in Dist 13 too. Let me know how they respond. I plan on writing, but with all the different bills to oppose and support, it will take time.

I believe Robey is somewhat anti based on his response posted here regarding the Open Holster Rally. He is the former police chief of HoCo (read "politician in uniform") who launched a political career after retirement (county exec and then senator).

On the bright side, I have not seen anyone from 13 appear as a cosponsor of any of these bad bills. :thumbsup:

On the downside, I haven't seen them cosponsor any gun friendly bills either :sad20:

rambling_one

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    This to The Bowie-Blade

All....keep up the pressure on the General Assembly members, but remember that you can amplify your voice by writing letters to the editor and getting them published in the paper.

Two bills are before the General Assembly that would adversely affect every gun owner in the state.

Senate Bill 645 and House Bill 820 mandate a state-issued Firearm Owner ID card in order to purchase a handgun.

Residents purchasing a handgun, rifle or shotgun would have their driver’s licenses notated that they own a gun.

Residents will pay police authorities to verify identification, secure fingerprints, and conduct background checks.

This, folks, violates your civil rights.

The State has no authority to demand and we the people have no obligation to honor any legislation that would isolate and classify certain segments of the general population, be them gun owners or members of particular religions.

Demanding citizens undergo fingerprinting in the exercise of their rights is the mark of a despotic government.

Open-ended, non-refundable fees is tomfoolery.

These bills do nothing to reduce crime. But then, that’s not the sponsors' intent. Senator Frosh and Delegate Rosenberg dislike guns and won’t be happy until they’re totally removed from the hands of ordinary people.

Contact your elected officials and tell them “It isn’t going to happen!”

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie

From the first link this is innaccurate:
    The bill would also expand the definition of a “habitual drunkard” in current law, a classification of people who are ineligible for purchasing firearms. Currently, a person who has been found guilty of three alcohol-related crimes in the past year can't get a gun permit. Frosh's bill would change that to someone convicted of two alcohol-related crimes in the past five years.
    The reason I am pointing this out is because I have known people who have had a DWI conviction in the 1960s who got a DUI many decades later and were considered subsequent offenders.
    If anyone got a DUI in their entire life, then if they get a second one they will lose their entire collection of handguns or lose their home protection handgun and not be allowed to have one for five years.

Now this part I absolutely love:
    “States like New Jersey and Massachusetts have these licensing requirements, and have much lower rates of gun-related violence and death,” said Frosh, chair of the Judicial Proceedings Committee, which will hear the bill. “So we think we can significantly improve public safety.”
    MD has 12,000 handgun permit holders, but MA has 224,000 licensed to carry concealed handgun and abolut the same state population. Much safer state indeed, and it is probably because so many law abidign citizens are allowed to be armed. This is the perfect opportunity to use his own words against him! :thumbsup:

TheTruth

Sep 19, 2006
    Three comments:

1) We need to also point out that this effort will cause funding expenditures, even in light of the possibility of the (undefined) increases to regulated firearms dealer licenses. Given the budget shortfall, any bill that has the potential to cost money (as this one will - making handgun permits, etc) is not a wise idea given our current economic climate.
    2) I like the idea of the ACLU, but I investigated this before. The "public" stance is that they are "neutral" towards the 2A, but in reality, their track record is much different than that. Even if they get help to get the wiretap portion deleted, I doubt (in my opinion) they would scrap anything else.
    3) Thanks to everyone on this thread who has written in about this horrific bill. I am doing the same and letting everyone know about this thread and the information contained.

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    Remember that Hitler made Jews wear a star of David.

I don't see this as any different.

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    Sent to the Frederick News Post:

Gun owners beware: You are under attack by both the Maryland Senate and House of Delegates, and you need to voice your concern unless you are ok with massive changes to your hobby.

House Bill 820 and Senate Bill 645, proposed by Sandy Rosenberg and Brian Frosh respecively, seek to: 1) Brand your driver's license with a mark noting that you are a gun owner; 2) Force you to obtain a permit to own your firearms through several labor intensive actions which will have a cost that is yet to be determined; 3) Make the business of buying and selling firearms nearly impossible to maintain, due to legal red tape and added fees; 4) Create a list of firearms and their owners.

History has not been kind to individuals that have been singled out, branded, and placed on a list. Please read more on these Bills, and contact your local representatives to voice your opinion. You cannot afford to let these Bills pass.

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore
    Three comments:

1) We need to also point out that this effort will cause funding expenditures, even in light of the possibility of the (undefined) increases to regulated firearms dealer licenses. Given the budget shortfall, any bill that has the potential to cost money (as this one will - making handgun permits, etc) is not a wise idea given our current economic climate.

Would bringing this to their attention cause them to make the fee for this "service" higher? Careful what you wish for.

pcfixer

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2009
    Marylandstan
    I'm in Frederick, REAL Blizzard outside. So I've sent Senator and Delegates emails
    today. I sent for me, my wife, and one from each Daughter. Thinking I may send one
    for my grandsons too.. one is 13 and the other will soon be 11. Both love to shoot
    and hunt with both their pappy's..

jonnyl

Ultimate Member
    Sep 23, 2009
    Frederick
    two things:

1 - sending snail mail letters to both Judiciary committees today (emails sent previously). and I've received permission from Oleg Volk to use the image below if anyone else would like to use it also. Seems particularly appropriate for this bill.

2 - between bad google mojo and conference calls from work I haven't been able to find the thread that had the Baltimore Sun article (I think). that talked about the high percentage of murders being committed by repeat offenders. NOT the "bad guys with guns" article that focused on a particular bad guy and the Chief's rant. This one had statistics like "80% of all gun crime is committed by previously convicted felons" etc.. NOTE: I made that stat up, but it was something like that.. so any help finding it would be greatly appreciated.

Here's the image I'm putting in my letters:

Attachments

• s_1984.jpg
      s_1984.jpg
      45.4 KB · Views: 141

boothdoc

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 23, 2008
    Frederick county
    e-mails, voicemails and snail mails sent again. I also fowarded this to every group I belong to, synangogue, IWLA and everyone else I could think of.

I will do this again in a few days.

wreckdiver

Ultimate Member
    Nov 13, 2008
    I sent out the "carpet bomb" email to all the MD senators and delegates. Most sent the usual "out of of office" replay but a few said they would consider it. One was even positive.

Thank you for writing to me about House Bill 820. I will oppose both HB820 and Senate Bill 645. The NRA does endorse me because of my voting record concerning gun control issues. I appreciate hearing from you about House Bill 820.

Pamela G. Beidle
    Delegate, District 32
    (410)841-3370
    Environmental Matters Committee
    Subcommittees:
    Environment
    Housing and Real Property
    Local Government and Bi-County

wreckdiver

Ultimate Member
    Nov 13, 2008
    Snow day, perfect time to send the emails to the Maryland Senators and Delegates.

http://www.associatedgunclubs.org/legislative/temporary/ACTION ALERT.pdf

Civic Action Email system
    http://www.ksconline.net/

The Libs have contempt for their constituents. Putting the heat on their colleagues my help stop these people. Calls and Faxes work too.

We should make those links a sticky, it's so easy to type a few lines and hit send. What a great way to let all the senators and delegates know your opinion. These new bills along with the new "assault weapons ban" look pretty serious.

Wraith

Oct 19, 2009
    Denton
    They're just lucky everyone is up to their asses in snow or else it would be time to organize a public demonstration in Annapolis.

Reinhaard1

Feb 10, 2010
    Anne Arundel
    Hi folks. Long time lurker but finally joined up today! Posted a long wind Hello post in the Introduction Thread if you are interested. Basically, I have had enough of the antis proposed bills and realized it was time for me to get off of my ass and join the fight.

Anyway, I have been using the email tool to contact both of the judiciary committees as well as my district delegates and senator. I received a pleasant response from Del. Malone (I am a Howard county resident) that I wanted to share regarding this bill:

Dear (Reinhaard1),

Thank you for your e-mail. It is great to hear from you!

I am AGAINST this bill! Hope you and your family are

well and stay warm!

Sincerely,

Delegate Jimmy Malone

James E. Malone, Jr.
    Vice Chair
    Environmental Matters Committee
    Phone: 410.841.3378
    Fax: 410.841.3509

----------------------------------------------------------------------
    To: Malone, James Delegate
    Subject: Oppose HB 820

As a constituent of district 12A, I respectfully request that that you oppose HB 820.

This bill is an affront on the civil liberties of law abiding gun owners in Maryland. Requiring gun purchasers to obtain a special designation on their driver's license is akin to branding them as some sort of undesirable.

The process for law abiding citizens to purchase most firearms in this state is already draconian. HB 820 serves no good purpose.

Thank you,

(Reinhaard1)

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    We should make those links a sticky, it's so easy to type a few lines and hit send. What a great way to let all the senators and delegates know your opinion. These new bills along with the new "assault weapons ban" look pretty serious.

The email tool is in every MSI Update. It's at the top of this thread. ;)

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Folks,

A reminder for those still feeling out the legislative process.

It's great to be hitting all of the legislators, but the members of the respective committees, as noted in the Updates, are the ones that need our attention.

The bill has to be heard in committee, voted on, and given a favorable report before it ever appears before the respective body in the General Assembly for a vote.

The pressure needs to be exerted on the members of the committees.

The second group that should be given your undying attention are the sponsors. Make it hurt for them to sponsor nonsense like this. Make their offices cease to function because they can't answer the phone, check email or use a fax because we are monopolizing them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom