• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    From the Sun article:

That’s why requiring local firearms dealers to distribute and display a pamphlet developed by the local health department warning of this risk, along with information on mental health and conflict resolution, would seem like a modest but important public health measure. Is anyone pro-suicide? In favor of settling scores by gun? Opposed to gun safety measures? Of course not; or at least they shouldn’t be. And so, an ordinance requiring just that was unanimously approved by the Anne Arundel County Council and signed into law by County Executive Steuart Pittman in early January.

Note the bolded part above and vote accordingly this November.

KJackson

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 3, 2017
    Carroll County
    I found this comment from the Sun commentary interesting: "That’s why requiring local firearms dealers to distribute and display a pamphlet developed by the local health department warning of this risk, along with information on mental health and conflict resolution, would seem like a modest but important public health measure."

What do you think the response would be to an attempt to require abortion providers to provide a pamphlet describing alternatives to everyone seeking an abortion from them?

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    I found this comment from the Sun commentary interesting: "That’s why requiring local firearms dealers to distribute and display a pamphlet developed by the local health department warning of this risk, along with information on mental health and conflict resolution, would seem like a modest but important public health measure."

What do you think the response would be to an attempt to require abortion providers to provide a pamphlet describing alternatives to everyone seeking an abortion from them?
    Let me guess. Hysterical outrage ?

Matlack

Scribe
    Dec 15, 2008

Wasn't that attempted and blocked for the same reason as this suit?

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville

In some cities the pamphlet comes with a free environmentally responsible crack pipe …

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍

Not an abortion provider, but a religious-based family planning center that did not provide abortion services. Baltimore City had an ordinance that was ultimately struck down as unconstitutional by the 4th Circuit that required centers like theirs to provide information on where abortions could be obtained.

KJackson

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 3, 2017
    Carroll County
    I seem to remember it being tried somewhere, but without any citations, I didn't want to make the claim. Either way, I am sure it was met with the typical shrieking and wailing about how ANYTHING at all except for immediate treatment is a burden on their right to kill unborn children, um. I mean their right to proper health care.

Matlack

Scribe
    Dec 15, 2008
    Not an abortion provider, but a religious-based family planning center that did not provide abortion services. Baltimore City had an ordinance that was ultimately struck down as unconstitutional by the 4th Circuit that required centers like theirs to provide information on where abortions could be obtained.
    I believe that is what I was thinking of.

Edit: Actually, I think it's older than that case. I remember something about it from when RvW was decided. I thought states tried doing something similar where they tried to provide information about development and it was shot down. I could be wrong and thinking specifically about the above.

ICW2019

Mar 8, 2012
    Eastern Shore

Public health measures sounds like Covid all over again.

Tower43

USMC - 0311
    Jul 6, 2010
    Lusby, MD
    I mean if the county supplies it AND it stays limited to suicide prevention and non violent conflict resolution....is this the right hill to be dying on?

Sure Im not fond of any gun laws... however as our esteemed Esqappellate has said in regards to SB1, we have to pick and choose which battles to fight.

This seems to be a waste of finances. IMO.

TheBert

The Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2013
    Gaithersburg, Maryland
    I mean if the county supplies it AND it stays limited to suicide prevention and non violent conflict resolution....is this the right hill to be dying on?

Sure Im not fond of any gun laws... however as our esteemed Esqappellate has said in regards to SB1, we have to pick and choose which battles to fight.

This seems to be a waste of finances. IMO.

The need to fight things like this is to ensure that there isn't any incremental interference between the county and businesses in the future. Its the old just the tip, if you did that then why can't you do this, If it saves just one life. Where does it stop.

Why fight SB1 when it is being fought in other states. Get a split in two circuits outside of the 4th and let them take it to the SCOTUS.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom