• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Phoenix_1295

Creature of Life and Fire
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 6, 2010
    MD
    I can't get uniformed police officers to wear vests without threatening them. Body armor that's worth a damn is expensive and uncomfortable.

Some are resistant to wearing their traffic safety vests when working at the scene of MVC's and other incidents on the highway, as well.

When you see how many officers are struck on the highway and shot, it is a shame that there are some who are resistant to taking actions that are within their own control to preserve their life and save their loved ones from unnecessary heartache. :sad20:

Kudos to those who recognize and use these items of protective equipment. :thumbsup:

ezliving

Besieger
    Oct 9, 2008
    Undisclosed Secure Location
    Today's Update...

(Let me know if I forgot any bills)

see PDF attached.

I also have an ASPX file available for upload (but MDS does not allow ASPX attachments) The ASPX file opens in a browser and has live links to the Bill's summary pages.

Attachments

• PROFILE - 13feb2011- 2011 Regular Session.pdf
      108.3 KB · Views: 93

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    http://www.stardem.com/article_72b44da9-1909-5811-9705-81d8f7c3f22a.html

Del Tiffany Alston (D) from PG County, is keeping her word, and following up with Del Mike Smigiel to pursue a definition of 'good and substantial'. It seems a lot more people are realizing what a ridiculous state we are in, since the hearing on HB-9 (Reciprocity), thanks again to all that participated, especially those that gave testimony (10+ to MSI)!

Like the article says, it is too loosey-goosey and we are all rightly frustrated.

Although many acknowledge it will be extremely difficult getting 'shall issue' past this governor (shame on Omalley), having so many Democrats stand up for the first time and join the out-cry is very encouraging. We simply want a chance at reasonable self-defense, just like the vast majority of the nation (40+ States) has now.

God I hope I am wrong, but I just do not trust her intentions to be true. I have a very bad feeling about this. Let's look at this not in the light of desperation.

A PG County Gun Grabber wants to define G&S. I doubt her definition is one we could stomach.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    God I hope I am wrong, but I just do not trust her intentions to be true...

A PG County Gun Grabber wants to define G&S....stomach.

Certainly, and I'm not without doubt too. But for what its worth, during the hearing they sounded sincere, and did co-propose the bill. If it passed (not holding my breath), it would appear to simply remove the G&S language all together.

I'm really glad we 'strongly supported' and I'm optimistic this could be an indication of either simple respect for our dedication, or perhaps even better, a little more understanding.

aray

Ultimate Member
    Jun 6, 2010
    MD -> KY
    God I hope I am wrong, but I just do not trust her intentions to be true. I have a very bad feeling about this. Let's look at this not in the light of desperation.

A PG County Gun Grabber wants to define G&S. I doubt her definition is one we could stomach.

Could any definition get any worse than it is right now? For 99.99% of the population we're already at "no issue".

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    The proposed bill simply removed the words good & substantial (etc), they didn't write a new definition. Sorry, had to clarify.

Unless I read it wrong, it would be a huge victory for us. (not withstanding the possibility of other implications)

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    Could any definition get any worse than it is right now? For 99.99% of the population we're already at "no issue".

As I understand it, a lot of the Wollard case is based on the ambiguity in the G&S clause that opens for door for unfairness. For some the bar is low, for some it's unreachable, for two people with the same reason, one might get a permit one might not, people who got permits under Ed Norris aren't getting them under Sheridan.

If G&S was defined, and the bar set, it would make Maryland a Shall issue, but they could easily set the bar very high which would produce the same result only without the fertile legal ground we have now. The court might be less inclined to strike down a fair but strict law.

Patrick or any of the lawyers here, feel free to correct me if I am not understanding right.

Oreo

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 23, 2008
    Could any definition get any worse than it is right now?
    Absolutely. I think so. The best case scenario for us now would be a win in the woolard law suit. If they removed the good & substantial language or altered it that might negatively affect Woolard. A little gain in the legislature might feel good now but they could go back and change it again in a year or so and then what have we got? Maybe nothing. Better to take the permanent win in the courts even if it is the long way around.

navycraig

Ultimate Member
    Aug 3, 2009
    St. Mary's
    Absolutely. I think so. The best case scenario for us now would be a win in the woolard law suit. If they removed the good & substantial language or altered it that might negatively affect Woolard. A little gain in the legislature might feel good now but they could go back and change it again in a year or so and then what have we got? Maybe nothing. Better to take the permanent win in the courts even if it is the long way around.

Makes me wonder if there is not some back room politics going on between the State's Attorney and the Judiciary Committee. The SA gets the JC to help him out by defining good and substancial, but making it so strict that it's still hard to qualify. Gives him better standing in the Woolard case.

Jim Sr

R.I.P.
    Jun 18, 2005
    Annapolis MD
    Feb, 15 - 2011

HB 1008 Status as of February 11, 2011: Bill is in the House - First Reading Judiciary
    Firearms - Detachable Magazines - Maximum Capacity for Ammunition
    House: Judiciary (Hearing: March 8, 2011, 1:00 p.m.)

HB 1043 Status as of February 11, 2011: Bill is in the House - First Reading Judiciary
    Regulated Firearms - Applications for Dealer's License - Record Keeping and Reporting Requirements

HB 1086 Status as of February 11, 2011: Bill is in the House - First Reading Judiciary
    Prince George's County - Police Departments - Use of Force - Reports PG 308-11
    House: Judiciary (Hearing: March 10, 2011, 1:00 p.m.)

:sad20:

Douglas

Dec 26, 2005
    Arlington, VA
    Ray your right they did move and I was so happy to be one of them. I had one friend that moved 2 years before I did because of the MD bull$hit and I now have another friend that is moving this spring because of the MD bull$hit. That is three families earning in the top 5% that said F.U. to the liberals and took their tax money with them. I was also amazed at the number of people I met while living in MD that magically spent the exact number of days as a Florida resident every year.

I moved to VA in 2000 due in large part to MD's horrible treatment of gun owners.

When it came time to move again in 2009, we had the option of MD (where my wife works), VA (where I work) or, to be fair: D.C. - which would be geographically half-way between BOTH of our work locations.

I chose VA & could not be more happy. My decision to stay out of MD had much to do with their infringing gun laws.

Better still, we live in one of the most wealthy counties in the entire USA, with some of the very top performing high schools too (McLean, VA).

Point is: these issues have consequences & I am living proof of that fact. Facts seem lost on many in control of MD's laws.

Nanook

F-notso-NG-anymore
    http://www.stardem.com/article_72b44da9-1909-5811-9705-81d8f7c3f22a.html

Del Tiffany Alston (D) from PG County, is keeping her word, and following up with Del Mike Smigiel to pursue a definition of 'good and substantial'. It seems a lot more people are realizing what a ridiculous state we are in, since the hearing on HB-9 (Reciprocity), thanks again to all that participated, especially those that gave testimony (10+ to MSI)!

Like the article says, it is too loosey-goosey and we are all rightly frustrated.

Although many acknowledge it will be extremely difficult getting 'shall issue' past this governor (shame on Omalley), having so many Democrats stand up for the first time and join the out-cry is very encouraging. We simply want a chance at reasonable self-defense, just like the vast majority of the nation (40+ States) has now.

I'm not going to say much of anything. See the last line of my signature. :cool:

ChannelCat

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb, 15 - 2011

HB 1008 Status as of February 11, 2011: Bill is in the House - First Reading Judiciary
    Firearms - Detachable Magazines - Maximum Capacity for Ammunition

HB 1043 Status as of February 11, 2011: Bill is in the House - First Reading Judiciary
    Regulated Firearms - Applications for Dealer's License - Record Keeping and Reporting Requirements

HB 1086 Status as of February 11, 2011: Bill is in the House - First Reading Judiciary
    Prince George's County - Police Departments - Use of Force - Reports PG 308-11
    House: Judiciary (Hearing: March 10, 2011, 1:00 p.m.)

:sad20:

...Ohhh F*cking great. The pinheads in the cesspool on the Severn are going for the brass ring. Time for more letters and emails!!

:mad54:

:banghead:

mayor_quimby

4+4= Jello
    Nov 19, 2008
    ...Ohhh F*cking great. The pinheads in the cesspool on the Severn are going for the brass ring. Time for more letters and emails!!

:mad54:

:banghead:

Speaking for myself in the past I never wrote letters to any government officials. To be honest I never thought I would but in the last year or so I have seen way to much tomfoolery going on. So I figure if I kept doing nothing ill be left with nothing. I know people always say what can one person do , but you put a lot of those "one person" together and maybe our elected officials will understand.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    New Update will be out by tomorrow probably. Lots of these new bills need examination and explanation.

Waterdoor

Proud Infidel Team U.S.A.
    Dec 13, 2008
    KY.
    HB1008 and yet again that fake tea party Demorat Anderson is on the list. How in the hell did they even let that moron try to join in the first place? That man is a cancer to the citizens of MD.

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    What bugs me the most is that all these bills are so futile. Can't these people read a map? There is NO place in Maryland that is more than an hour's drive from a state where you can buy magazines of any capacity. All you are doing is annoying people - and forfeiting sales tax revenues.

As strapped as this state is, willingly giving up sales taxes is a mistake.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom