Maryland SB1 - any one caught violating?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Twist

Feb 17, 2023
    Annapolis
    It's been a couple of months now since the new round of legislative idiocy (otherwise known as SB1) has gone in to effect. I'm not hyper focused on local news but I haven't heard of anyone being caught violating the law by carrying concealed somewhere you're not supposed to under the new law. I like to think we're all just being really good at carrying concealed but I'm wondering if a lot of people that were CC are now not to be in compliance.

I keep waiting to hear of someone that had to defend themselves from a deadly assault in an exclusion zone to see how it'll be handled.

Afrikeber

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2013
    Urbana, Md.
    Yea, same. If it did happen it was not caught in the news. There was that one incident where someone defended themselves from a carjacker in Takoma Park which resulted in discharge of his firearm but never heard more on that.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Yea, same. If it did happen it was not caught in the newd. There was that one incident where someone defended themselves from a carjacker in Takoma Park which resulted in discharge of his firearm but never heard more on that.
    And that was before SB1 went into effect.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    It's been a couple of months now since the new round of legislative idiocy (otherwise known as SB1) has gone in to effect. I'm not hyper focused on local news but I haven't heard of anyone being caught violating the law by carrying concealed somewhere you're not supposed to under the new law. I like to think we're all just being really good at carrying concealed but I'm wondering if a lot of people that were CC are now not to be in compliance.

I keep waiting to hear of someone that had to defend themselves from a deadly assault in an exclusion zone to see how it'll be handled.
    That's probably the only way you will ever hear of someone "caught" carrying in a no-no zone.

Magerko

Nov 24, 2022
    Baltimore County
    My primary concern with SB1 was being able to carry in public, like going to a store with the wife, and also being able to carry where alcohol is served, as every restaurant we go to serves alcohol. So those 2 being struck down covered the vast majority of the places I carry. I prefer to carry everywhere I go, so if carrying is specifically prohibited at a specific location, I just won't go there, but I do have a vehicle lockbox just in case.

Haven't heard anything about anyone being caught carrying where they're not supposed to carry, but remember, we're in the Fall/Winter colder season, so people are starting to wear flannel shirts, hoodies, jackets, coats, etc., making it easier to conceal.

Let's see what happens in the Spring/Summer when people revert back to wearing T-Shirts and shorts. Harder to conceal with less clothing, so I would think chances would be higher that someone might get caught.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    There have been plenty of people caught carrying without a permit, and/or carrying where they weren't suppose to be, and some have made the news, but all have been released on bail pending trial (some numerous times).
    None of them have been lawfully carrying, but none of them have been charged with the new law. It's reserved for those carrying on a permit that slip up.

Growler215

Ultimate Member
    Dec 30, 2020
    SOMD
    I remember a discussion awhile back about MoCo intentionally not enforcing 21-22E. I think the rationale put forth was to try to deny anyone standing to sue (looks like that didn't work too well. . .).
    I could see the state AG thinking along the same lines. It's not like he and his ilk really give a rat's ass what the law says, as long as they get credit from Mad Mommies and the like for trying. Certainly they've displayed little interest is putting real criminals behind bars.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    I remember a discussion awhile back about MoCo intentionally not enforcing 21-22E. I think the rationale put forth was to try to deny anyone standing to sue (looks like that didn't work too well. . .).
    I could see the state AG thinking along the same lines. It's not like he and his ilk really give a rat's ass what the law says, as long as they get credit from Mad Mommies and the like for trying. Certainly they've displayed little interest is putting real criminals behind bars.
    It wouldn't be the MDAG that makes that decision it would be up to each State's Attorney in each County on wether or not they charge and enforce the law with regards to SB-1.

jokie

May 27, 2020
    A in AA
    Well…open carry is illegal and signs carry no force of law. ;)
    So that’s also a reason why we are not hearing cases of people getting caught violating sb1. I’m just reacting to some posts above. There might be some people not aware about the injunction order.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    So that’s also a reason why we are not hearing cases of people getting caught violating sb1. I’m just reacting to some posts above. There might be some people not aware about the injunction order.

I’m sure there’s plenty of gun owners who aren’t even aware of SB1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom