• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • prpete

Nov 10, 2008
    Aberdeen
    Which rifles are still legal here, and do they require paperwork?I know AR's, CETME's, and Polytech m1a's are, and SKS's, too.

Last edited:

Wendigo

Hungry
    Mar 31, 2013
    Reisterstown
    2001.jpg

Still Legal :D

Reptile

Ultimate Member
    Sep 29, 2014
    Columbia MD
    Which rifles are still legal here, and do they require paperwork?I know AR's are, and SKS's, too.

Just about any bolt action or semi-automatic rifle used by US forces up through the Korean conflict are legal and unregulated. They all fall under the category of curio and relic and can be bought interstate with a copy of your C&R license and shipped to your door. In state transactions are considered unregulated and can be done face to face with nothing more than proof you are a state resident and due diligence on the part of the seller to ascertain that you are not prohibited from buying a firearm.

I'll defer to others regarding foreign made battle rifles. The vast majority of bolt action and semi-automatics are legal, but the exceptions are numerous enough to consider on a case-by-case basis.

There is no simple logic. You can't buy an AK, but you can buy a 7.62 by 39 caliber rifle that uses AK magazines, or a Czech rifle of the same caliber that looks like an AK, has a folding stock and a hand grip, but doesn't use AK magazines.

fred333

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 20, 2013
    Just about any bolt action or semi-automatic rifle used by US forces up through the Korean conflict are legal and unregulated. They all fall under the category of curio and relic and can be bought interstate with a copy of your C&R license and shipped to your door. In state transactions are considered unregulated and can be done face to face with nothing more than proof you are a state resident and due diligence on the part of the seller to ascertain that you are not prohibited from buying a firearm.

Most semis are, but not all. I wanted to get an M1A (much nicer rifle than the M1), but it's prohibited. I believe the Chinese-made M1As are C&R and permitted in MD, but not the domestic version:

Attachments

• m1a.jpg
      m1a.jpg
      44.2 KB · Views: 735

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Most semis are, but not all. I wanted to get an M1A (much nicer rifle than the M1), but it's prohibited. I believe the Chinese-made M1As are C&R and permitted in MD, but not the domestic version:

Nobody but Springfield Armory makes M1As. M1A is a trademark owned by SA. Semi-auto M-14s were made by the Chinese, using non-standard parts, so they're exempt from the spiffy new Maryland law.

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    "In my opinion, the M1 Rifle is the greatest battle implement ever devised." Letter from Lt. Gen. George S. Patton, Jr. to Chief of Ordnance Lt. Gen. Levin H. Campbell, Jr., (January 26, 1945)

M 1 Garands are currently available from the CMP shipped direct to your home if you qualify.

http://thecmp.org/cmp_sales/rifle_sales/m1-garand/

Real happy with my CMP Garand - and what a great value.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Only one Garand? I am hoping to get a couple more before the CMP runs out so I can pass them along to my grandchildren when they are old enough. They are a great value, you could immediately sell it for more than it cost, and they are not making any more of them. Own a piece of history!

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    A Garand is a long action, M1A is short. That means there are significant differences in key components like bolts, firing pins, receivers. And of course, the Garand gas system is significantly different from an M1A, too, even on a .308, mag-fed modified Garand. Rear sight assembles are interchangeable, and maybe trigger groups, depending on how the Garand is modified to accept magazines.
    I'd be more worried about similarities with the BM59, which is another by-name AW in the MD list. But even a BM59 has differences from most modified Garands, and a true BM59 has proprietary magazines (and therefore trigger groups) that are not interchangeable with M-14-styles.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom