• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    I have a friend with a lead foot, who noticed different lines of questioning (while being pulled over for a traffic violation) from before he got his MD permit, and after. The incidents occurred in different states also.

Combining his experiences with the latest publicized tidbit, makes one say hmmm.

The Police are publicizing permit holders as criminals (in the criminal database), as a way of information sharing.

Or...they aren't...but whatever keeps you up at night have at it.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Is a fingerprint database the same as a criminal database? day care providers get printed too.

Not that I am that concerned

Hjaalmarch

Jan 7, 2014
    So the cop saw the permit when the dude opened his wallet, according to the article.

Is that enough probable cause to search the vehicle in order to find a possible gun there? Couldn't the guy not have consented to a search of his vehicle?

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    Is a fingerprint database the same as a criminal database? day care providers get printed too.

Not that I am that concerned

It's all CJIS.

If you have been fingerprinted by the government you are likely in CJIS regardless of the reason why.

Teachers, police, handgun permit applicants, criminals, etc are all in CJIS and to a lesser extent MD's database.

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    Plan D? Not worth the hassle.
    I have a friend with a lead foot, who noticed different lines of questioning (while being pulled over for a traffic violation) from before he got his MD permit, and after. The incidents occurred in different states also.

Combining his experiences with the latest publicized tidbit, makes one say hmmm.

The Police are publicizing permit holders as criminals (in the criminal database), as a way of information sharing.

I think its mostly post FSA2013.. so far I have not been stopped.

Could be my mind control ray ...could be total avoidance of I 95.

Could be my disinformation campaign. I wonder if I should get a PETA bumber sticker and see it it has any effect.. .;)

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    It's all CJIS.

If you have been fingerprinted by the government you are likely in CJIS regardless of the reason why.

Teachers, police, handgun permit applicants, criminals, etc are all in CJIS and to a lesser extent MD's database.

So is CJIS the same as AFIS? Just trying to understand the nomenclature here.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    I understand that. When CJIS was used, I wanted to ascertain it was MD CJIS. I think the FBI calls their AFIS. I was just trying to get clarification from Name Taken.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    So is CJIS the same as AFIS? Just trying to understand the nomenclature here.

On second thought I'm not sure if you are are automatically put into CJIS just because MD has your fingerprints.

I believe it just stays in MD database not sent over to CJIS which is the FBI's database.

But regardless if you have been fingerprinted by a government agency you are at least in that states database and they all kind of talk and share information if that makes sense.

If you are fingerprinted in MD you get assigned a State ID # to your set of fingerprints. If it's in CJIS you get a FBI # assigned to your set. On second thought I do not think teachers, MD handgun applications, permit, etc are in the FBI's database.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    On second thought I'm not sure if you are are automatically put into CJIS just because MD has your fingerprints.

I believe it just stays in MD database not sent over to CJIS which is the FBI's database.

But regardless if you have been fingerprinted by a government agency you are at least in that states database and they all kind of talk and share information if that makes sense.

If you are fingerprinted in MD you get assigned a State ID # to your set of fingerprints. If it's in CJIS you get a FBI # assigned to your set. On second thought I do not think teachers, MD handgun applications, permit, etc are in the FBI's database.

IIIRC, fingerprints checked by the FBI in non criminal checks are not retained. They are in MD CJIS as I understand all this stuff.

But I could be wrong yet again.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    So as I understand the CJIS refers to MD and AFIS is FBI. I know FBI has a CJIS but I think in the terms we're discussing it's state CJIS.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    IIIRC, fingerprints checked by the FBI in non criminal checks are not retained. They are in MD CJIS as I understand all this stuff.

But I could be wrong yet again.

I believe this to be right.

I've seen folks in MD system not have an assigned FBI # meaning the prints haven't been classified in the FBI's system.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    I believe this to be right.

I've seen folks in MD system not have an assigned FBI # meaning the prints haven't been classified in the FBI's system.

In other words

When someone is pulled over for a traffic violation: A LEO can see anything in the MD CJIS when running a background check?

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    In other words

When someone is pulled over for a traffic violation: A LEO can see anything in the MD CJIS when running a background check?

An LEO can see it anytime they have access to the database and a justifiable reason for the search.

99% of traffic stops consist of a registration check, a license check, and a warrant check. On a rare occasion an officer might access MD Case Search (the same one open to the public) and that's about it.

But that won't stop people from thinking that every stop officers are checking to see if someone has a handgun permit. Tin foil has no limits. It's amazing some here even leave their mothers basement.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    does the CJIS indicate the reason for the record, ie. CCW, HQL etc.? I'm not paranoid and my mom kicked me out 45 years ago

:tinfoil:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom