• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kimerazor

Ultimate Member
    Aug 14, 2011
    "FEE state"
    ALLCON:

I know some of you have expressed joy and frustration at the availability of hunter safety courses. Here are some statistics from 2012. See the hours given by volunteers. The program is ALWAYS looking for more volunteers.

TRADITIONAL CLASSES

1030 volunteer instructors

FY12 = 25,819 Hours (FY08 = 13,800)
    FY12 = $966,146 of in-kind matching dollars (FY08 = $393,852)
    The dollars are based on a salary that would be paid to a full-time position teaching those number of hours.

200 +/- classes per year at 92 course locations

There were OVER 6000 students certified last year.

The INTERNET course available to those 16 years and older has exploded. It grew by over 100% last year and nearly 100% from 2010 (966 students) to 2011 (1746 students). In 2012 there were 3,333 students certified. A lot more students took the online course, but did not become certified for whatever reason.

Our hunter community is growing. Let's not alienate them, but pull them into the SHOOTER fold.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Where is the internet course availble at? A friend of mine has been looking for just such a thing.

The internet coursre is available on the DNR website.

on the practical day: they must demonstrate gun safety, and take the written test.

jr88

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 7, 2011
    Free?? State
    I fully support the training. I have been thru the class 3 times due to attending with my daughter, nephews and nieces. While I think the internet course is OK for Adults, kids do better with tactile learning. The one fault with the system is taking the course online, then trying to find the practical shooting session being offered.
    As for volunteers, I have offered to volunteer and become an instructor twice in the last 5 years.both times I was told by the state they had enough instructors. So I support the program, and believe it is one of the few state programs that is working to introduce people young and old alike, to the outdoors!

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    I fully support the training. I have been thru the class 3 times due to attending with my daughter, nephews and nieces. While I think the internet course is OK for Adults, kids do better with tactile learning. The one fault with the system is taking the course online, then trying to find the practical shooting session being offered.
    As for volunteers, I have offered to volunteer and become an instructor twice in the last 5 years.both times I was told by the state they had enough instructors. So I support the program, and believe it is one of the few state programs that is working to introduce people young and old alike, to the outdoors!

i assume it depends which area you are at. soMD is in need of instructors.. myself and couple other are in the process of becoming one. final class is this saturday in fact. :)

jr88

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 7, 2011
    Free?? State
    i assume it depends which area you are at. soMD is in need of instructors.. myself and couple other are in the process of becoming one. final class is this saturday in fact. :)

I contacted the DNR website a few years ago, then last year I took my nephew to the 12th precinct class. Both times I inquired and was told don't need them now.
    I guess the just don't like big ugly white guys, oh wait that can't be it.:D

scrovak

Back in the "Free" State
    May 2, 2011
    A lot more students took the online course, but did not become certified for whatever reason.

There was only one course available in my area, and was booked up over a month in advance.

Kimerazor

Ultimate Member
    Aug 14, 2011
    "FEE state"

Contact Mr. Robert Ford who runs the program at RFord@dnr.state.md.us.

Thank you for volunteering.

boss66tcode

a bit of an Eddie Haskle
    Sep 8, 2008
    in 'da hills
    Every child ought to know what to do if they find a gun unattended.

Its a great program. I taught range at a BSA day camp once, but never hunter safety. I'd be interested in hearing more about volunteering.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    Every child ought to know what to do if they find a gun unattended.

Its a great program. I taught range at a BSA day camp once, but never hunter safety. I'd be interested in hearing more about volunteering.

what do you need to know about it?

im one of the new team that just got DNR HS certified for our club in Sanners Lake Sportsmans Club.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    If you want to get into hunter education join a team.

In Saint Marys there are Pax River, coon hunters in loveville, and us at Sanners

Saint Charles has a team also IIRC

Calvert Fairgrounds also has a team.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    If you want to get into hunter education join a team.

In Saint Marys there are Pax River, coon hunters in loveville, and us at Sanners

Saint Charles has a team also IIRC

Calvert Fairgrounds also has a team.

Calvert has 2 from my recollection.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom