• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dave91

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2009
    Anne Arundel
    Hey all,

I'm looking into getting my HQL (I know the wear and carry course would cover it). I'm seeing that a hunters safety course is listed as a training exemption. Some of the latest threads I have found say there is no date cut-off for this exemption, but on the MSP portal I'm seeing it must have been within the last three years. I have the yellow hunter safety card from 2004-ish. Am I good to go with that? Has anyone recently been approved for the exemption using a hunters safety course older than three years?

Thanks

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Looks like Texas added a field day to their online source provider to the requirements.
    Same outfit in that link is providing online courses for other states as well.
    Maybe, the online portion is good enough to get the HQL only?
    I dont know for sure, theirs a hunters ed class coming up in Federalsburg real soon.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Have you bought a handgun in MD before? If so you’re exempt from the training. You just need to enter the make, model, and serial number

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ellis Gordon

gordoninmontgomerycounty
    Jan 25, 2016
    Bethesda, MD
    Texas Hunter Education Course:
    I used the Texas course for the Maryland HQL training requirement. Do the training through the NRA.

This Online Hunter Education Course is provided FREE to everyone by the NRA.

There are two ways to gain Texas Hunter Education Certification using the NRA course:

• A student age 9 through 16 years who successfully completes this course receives a “Field Course Voucher” and must attend an instructor-led Field Course to complete the training. For information, procedures and locations of Field Courses, go to: https://tpwd.elementlms.com/course-category/hunter-education-field-course/
    • A student age 17 and over does not need to attend a Field Course, but, upon successful completion, is required to pay the State of Texas $5 to receive a permanent Hunter Education Certificate. The NRA collects the $5 fee on behalf of the State of Texas, plus an added Service fee, and returns all fees to Texas. A student is provided a temporary certification following successful completion.
    • All Hunter Education certificates are available for print at https://tpwd.elementlms.com/am-i-certified/
    • TPWD does not mail certificates.

Slackdaddy

My pronouns: Iva/Bigun
    Jan 1, 2019
    Hey all,

I'm looking into getting my HQL (I know the wear and carry course would cover it). I'm seeing that a hunters safety course is listed as a training exemption. Some of the latest threads I have found say there is no date cut-off for this exemption, but on the MSP portal I'm seeing it must have been within the last three years. I have the yellow hunter safety card from 2004-ish. Am I good to go with that? Has anyone recently been approved for the exemption using a hunters safety course older than three years?

Thanks
    I got my HQL in 2020 ,,
    My Hunter safety card from the early 90s was accepted as "training",, the HQL was all done on line, no human interaction.
    Things may have changed in the last 2-3 years?

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Hey all,

I'm looking into getting my HQL (I know the wear and carry course would cover it). I'm seeing that a hunters safety course is listed as a training exemption. Some of the latest threads I have found say there is no date cut-off for this exemption, but on the MSP portal I'm seeing it must have been within the last three years.
    The MSP portal is BS, as there is absolutely no date listed in State Statute for when Hunter Safety needed to be completed. More administrative over reach by MSP.

I have the yellow hunter safety card from 2004-ish. Am I good to go with that?
    Perfectly fine.

Has anyone recently been approved for the exemption using a hunters safety course older than three years?

Thanks

Ellis Gordon

gordoninmontgomerycounty
    Jan 25, 2016
    Bethesda, MD
    I took the Texas online Hunter Safety course through the NRA in 2021. It cost $5.90. The certificate of completion I received through e-mail was submitted with my HQL application. I received my HQL in around two weeks.

SummitCnty

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2013
    Frederick County
    My hunter safety was from the early 2000’s and no issue. NC has hunter safety with no field day if your interested in that route. At least they used to.

Growler215

Ultimate Member
    Dec 30, 2020
    SOMD
    I'm exempt. But last year when my daughter wanted to take a MD hunter safety course, it was almost impossible to get a field day.

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    Hey all,

Thanks
    I submitted my HSC from 1980 back when I did my HQL in 2017. I also had several handguns prior to this, so I qualified under that as well, so no way of telling if the HSC age was acceptable or not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom