• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Merlin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 31, 2009
    Carroll County, Maryland
    It's not the rank and file in the MSP that are the problem. I believe the upper, more political ranks in that organization should have anticipated and expressed their concerns to the Governor about what has become the current wait time and future post October 1 issues.

They are the very ones that are in MOM pocket hoping MOM can help their carers. They could not care less how long you have to wait to get your gun. Even if they were not in MOM pocket, I'm sure the leaders of the MSP have more going on and to be concerned over then how long people have to wait for guns. I'm just saying this wait is very good for them to. It shows they need more money. They are not going to do anything that end this back log because if they did it would show they have more then enough resources to handle it.

DCutdSE

Rebel Scum
    Jan 2, 2009
    I think gun shops will not have the luxury to just decide not to sell any gun that can except a 10+ mag. There are way to many main stream popular guns they rely on going across the counter to keep them in business to stop selling them. If I had to guess, the manufactures will come out with some part inside of the mags that will restrict them to 10 rounds.

Could gun shops just sell guns with 10+ mags that have a magazine block installed? (http://www.magazineblocks.com/magento/) Yes, this would be easy to remove and avoid the law, but so is buying magazines out of state.

OldMike-47

Sep 23, 2013
    Baltimore County
    So basically the democratic powers that seek to destroy all the constitutional rights they disagree with, I'm talking to you to Jim Brochin, are wasting tax payers time and money in tough economic times. They pushed through legislation they can't effectively enforce, and deserve for us to crush it flat in the courts. Too bad we can't sue the Governor and his buddies for abuse of power, and misconduct.

River Mud

Mar 19, 2013
    And a pointless waist of time. This is not the fault of the MSP. They do not have the man power to handle this inrush of apps they are seeing. It's foolish to think they have the ability to hire 30 people just because everyone and their brother woke up one day and decided to buy 3 guns and don't want to wait for the paperwork.

As far as this license requirement after October 1st I'm sure the MSP are wondering more than anyone on how they are going to pull that one off.

If you want to give anyone a hard time give MOM office a call as well as all of the pile of crap politicians that voted for SB-281.

The MSP rank and file were the last to want this mess.

Lt me agree with your last statement and recommend you withhold your first.

"This is not the fault of the MSP," and "I'm sure the MSP are wondering," are exhibits of pizz poor leadership of any organization. Yes, obviously they serve at the pleasure and direction of the Governor and AG. But "rank and file" does not include the individuals who in fact are tasked (and sworn) to lead the agency and its hundreds of sworn officers toward the best possible interpretation of Constitutional law. That effort - that real leadership - is not only to benefit the citizenry and "public good" but also to make sure that all of the agency's sworn officers are in fact upholding constitutional laws. To state otherwise is to state that the entire body of the MSP has 0% discretion to exercise in the enforcement of any regulation.

I know many of you are LEO and I respect the position you are in (truly), but I refuse to believe that a command structure of the MSP's type is "in a tough spot, awww shucks." They are a willing party to this at the leadership level and there is absolutely zero evidence to indicate otherwise. To hint that their willing and intentional leadership of their own sworn officers down an unconstitutional path dangerous to the careers and reputations of those officers is somehow a "head scratcher" is not really a legitimate standpoint IMHO. You know how that "I was just following orders" thing has worked out in the past. I hate to think of all the very good, honest, true LEOs placed in this position by their agencies' leadership structures.

tc617

USN Sub Vet
    Jan 12, 2012
    Yuma, Arizona
    So you called to just harass a Trooper who has nothing to do with the setting up process of the Oct 1 licensing.
    The last time I checked the MSP Firearms Licensing Division is the primary law enforcement agency in charge of implimenting the HQL process.
    Congrats on being the only and probably first person to call and do this.
    Thank you for the compliment, I take pride in being proactive. It's a shame that the MSP do not share this same approach.
    What made you think the process has already begun before the proposed date?
    The HQL will cost $50.

1. The MSP will perform the same $10 background that they currently perform for 77r regulated purchases.
    2. They will make a profit on livescan fingerprinting.
    3. The HQL ID card should cost $5 to produce.

The HQL is a cash cow for Maryland. When they stand to make $35 profit for each and every HQL they issue, why wouldn't they have this up and running ahead of time?
    apparently you have no regulated purchases currently.
    I average around 1 regulated purchase per month, but since this initial thread I purchased 11 more. The HQL or SB281 will not stop me from making more purchases.

KingGeorge

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 30, 2013
    It's amazing how people jumped all over the OP for no reason. Called him every name in the book and for what? For a simple conversation about the HQL. Looking at the convo he didn't bash the trooper or be a smart ass.

Kilroy

Ultimate Member
    Jul 27, 2011
    It makes me sad how many people here are willing to roll over and accept the new gun purchasing hurdles. Remember, you can only be bullied with your consent.

damosan

Feb 21, 2009
    So, basically the MSP just said that handgun purchases in Maryland will be questionable after October 1 until the MSP figure out how to apply the law and issue Handgun Qualification Licenses - A right delayed is a right denied.

Maybe the MSP are on our side after all (he said ... only half kidding)? I mean ... if they can't comply they are effectively denying rights and thus I'd think we'd have a case.

Maybe?

D.

tc617

USN Sub Vet
    Jan 12, 2012
    Yuma, Arizona
    It makes me sad how many people here are willing to roll over and accept the new gun purchasing hurdles. Remember, you can only be bullied with your consent.

Roll over... So the best idea that you can come up with is to to stop buying handguns? I wonder how long gun shops are going to stay open selling 870s and 10/22 rifles? Not long would be my guess.

I have said all along that while the concept of a HQL sucks but I will be getting one as soon as it is available. If the HQL gets overturned in court, that will be great, but in the mean time if Frosh, O'Malley or the MSP brass think that a HQL is going to stop or slow my purchases down they are mistaken. The HQL is nothing but a speed bump to me.

Hell, when the demand for handguns drops to zero after October 1, I may stand to get some awesome deals.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ObsidianCC

Latest threads

Top Bottom