• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • freddie

Mar 20, 2013
    Today I purchased a handgun and FFL wanted to see copy of my designated collector approval letter.

Very strange, since my previous 5 handgun purchases did not require seeing it-just check the box and sign.

Fortunately, they let me email pdf scan after I returned home.

Just a heads up - I will now always carry a copy with me.

TACAV

Aug 6, 2008
    Today I purchased a handgun and FFL wanted to see copy of my designated collector approval letter.

Very strange, since my previous 5 handgun purchases did not require seeing it-just check the box and sign.

Yea, I have had my collector status since about 2008 or so and have bought guns from a variety of different FFLs. I have noticed that it depends on where you go. Some FFLs demand to see it before they check the box and some just take you at your word.

hi3cho

Ultimate Member
    Nov 16, 2012
    Edgemere
    So I sent my collector's app in via priority mail on Tuesday. My receipt says delivery expected yesterday. So I go in today to make sure it got there and it says its in Rochester NY????? My receipt with tracking number shows the zipcode I shipped to which is 21208 Pikesville, Md. I will call today and see what the deal is, but of course nothing is ever easy.

Gbh

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2012

Did the FFL ask for "proof" that you are not prohibited as well? :sad20:

This is the kind of BS some FFL's pull that is pointless and confuses the customer.

Last edited:

SomeGuy

Jan 19, 2013
    Severna Park
    This seems to be a no lose situation. If we are polite to the MSP, and do not expect rapid return of the paperwork. It seems to me that everyone should submit the paperwork for MD Collector.

I think that a few thousand citizens trying to work within the law, would be noticed, and that might not be a bad thing.

Any issues in unreasonable delay, or the like, could be discussed with your Representative in Annapolis, who is responsible for seeing that the MSP has the resources they need to do their job. :D

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    So I sent my collector's app in via priority mail on Tuesday. My receipt says delivery expected yesterday. So I go in today to make sure it got there and it says its in Rochester NY????? My receipt with tracking number shows the zipcode I shipped to which is 21208 Pikesville, Md. I will call today and see what the deal is, but of course nothing is ever easy.

And the USPS is wondering why it is having financial troubles. Good old USPS. Sadly, I have no idea what the alternative will be. Wonder if UPS or FedEx could handle delivering the daily mail, or even compete against one another to do it.

Stevie Boy

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Naples, FL and Ocean Pines, MD
    Add me to the party. Finally got off my duff and sent in my app yesterday. Had an interesting conversation with the bank rep (notary) that I'll post about in another thread about ammo availability. Notary thought it was a CCW app at first and didn't seem familiar with the Collector designation. I explained a few of the pro's and she lamented how her husband couldn't find any 22 ammo these days.

hi3cho

Ultimate Member
    Nov 16, 2012
    Edgemere
    And the USPS is wondering why it is having financial troubles. Good old USPS. Sadly, I have no idea what the alternative will be. Wonder if UPS or FedEx could handle delivering the daily mail, or even compete against one another to do it.

It is basically impossible to get a hold of someone on the phone to ask a question but I was able to email them and they actually called me back within a few hours. The guy seemed very apologetic and said that sometimes the sorter messes up and he thinks it sent it to NY by mistake but is on its way back. Should only be a few days delay so its not a huge deal.

Tman68

Jul 25, 2012
    Harford Co
    Got my DC today, took exactly 25 days from MSP receiving the app and the approved letter landing in my mail box today!!!! MSP received it 2/26, I got it back 3/23 approved!!!

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

jaycee2004

Apr 17, 2009
    Cambridge
    I did. First trooper said I was not in the system and transferred me to Thompson's voicemail after I told her I applied on 1/19. :sad20:

I have to fill out another application. Apparently mine never made it there?! At this point I'm just fed up with that and the handgun wait's that I really don't care anymore

L0gic

Ultimate Member
    Mar 2, 2013
    I have to fill out another application. Apparently mine never made it there?! At this point I'm just fed up with that and the handgun wait's that I really don't care anymore

Giving up lets them win. I scanned in my original application application and saved it to my computer. I sent that to TFC Thompson and am waiting to hear from her if she will complete the app using that file or if I need to go through the entire notary process again. All this because my app from January never made it there.

I also helped out a co-worker in enlightening them about the whole collector's permit deal. They were planning to file for two lowers at the same time and wait 60+ days before they can purchase anything else. Being from PA they were quite dumbfounded about all these nuances to exercising a constitutional right in MD. By God if he gets is collector's paperwork back before me Ima hava aneurysm.

ShallNotInfringe

Lil Firecracker
    Feb 17, 2013
    Giving up lets them win. I scanned in my original application application and saved it to my computer. I sent that to TFC Thompson and am waiting to hear from her if she will complete the app using that file or if I need to go through the entire notary process again. All this because my app from January never made it there.

I also helped out a co-worker in enlightening them about the whole collector's permit deal. They were planning to file for two lowers at the same time and wait 60+ days before they can purchase anything else. Being from PA they were quite dumbfounded about all these nuances to exercising a constitutional right in MD. By God if he gets is collector's paperwork back before me Ima hava aneurysm.

I don't know you at all, LOgic, but after reading this thread, am ready to set up a picket line over at the MD Firearms office and hold a sign vigil.... "Get <insert your name> his DC form NOW!!! ". Heck if I get mine before you do, I just might do that anyway. Please keep us posted on your progress :)

ASTC

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Don't you give the State Police permission to come to your home and view your collection?

Not at the present time. However, we never know what laws the Maryland's liberal politicians will try to pass in the future. They could easily require collectors to submit inventories, permit officers to examine your collection, etc. I suspect that collectors will be targeted in the future. (Just my opinion. I could be wrong.)

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Not at the present time. However, we never know what laws the Maryland's liberal politicians will try to pass in the future. They could easily require collectors to submit inventories, permit officers to examine your collection, etc. I suspect that collectors will be targeted in the future. (Just my opinion. I could be wrong.)

Yeah, because Collectors seem to be the real problem behind all the handgun homicides. I'd like to think that our politicians are a little more sensible than that, or that we can at least talk some sense into them when it comes to these types of matters.

Silent Hunter

Feb 22, 2013
    I wrote in " for collection and investment purchases" and had no problems.

My response as well and had no problems getting designated as a collector. It's well worth doing just to get around the ridiculous time restrictions between firearms purchases.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom