• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Historically , no one cared to see anything. You would just check to box on the 77R , if you were lying the MSP would disaprove you , if not also frown upon you in some way.

In 2013 , a lot of FFL wanted to see , and usually copy the physical letter , as one factor in conducting 8-14day releases.

Parttime

Sep 29, 2012
    Eastern Shore
    I mailed my application for the Designated Regulated Firearms Collector in early November and have not received it, as of yesterday.

So...I emailed the MSP about the application and received this back today.

"I have your application. The only problem, right now, is that you do not meet the elements to be designated a collector, yet.
    Once you obtain at least one registered regulated firearm OR supply me with a copy of your Curio & Relics, I will approve your status.
    Thank you"

Can anyone tell me if this is/was the procedure before 10/01/2013 or has it now changed?

Billy Bones

Flagoneer
    Mar 27, 2012
    Grasonville, Md
    I mailed my application for the Designated Regulated Firearms Collector in early November and have not received it, as of yesterday.

"I have your application. The only problem, right now, is that you do not meet the elements to be designated a collector, yet.
    Once you obtain at least one registered regulated firearm OR supply me with a copy of your Curio & Relics, I will approve your status.
    Thank you"

Can anyone tell me if this is/was the procedure before 10/01/2013 or has it now changed?

Got me on that also, until my July 20 purchase went through.

Parttime

Sep 29, 2012
    Eastern Shore

Thank you"

Can someone point me to to the MD regulation or MD law that states I must first purchased a regulated firearm to be able to get the designated collector status?

beretta_maven

Free Thinking Member
    Jan 2, 2014
    SoMD
    Can someone point me to to the MD regulation or MD law that states I must first purchased a regulated firearm to be able to get the designated collector status?

I can't, but I have two friends who both had previously registered regulated firearms and both were recently disapproved for DC status. Neither one received any notification from MSP, and both put their paperwork in last April.

DD55

Sep 22, 2013
    Anne Arundel

They got me with that also, I could not find anything that said that was a requirement. Honestly, it is pretty irritating.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    It used to be that it was not required.

If you read the whole thread (yeah, I know, a LONG thread), you will posts about a difference in time between having a regulated purchase and not.

It was that if you had previously purchased regulated firearms, it was approved once they got to it. But if not, they did many of the same database checks that they do for a purchase.

So maybe to streamline, they just put it in the not approved stack without a previous purchase.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Its annoying and a burden, but about the lightest burden that could possibly be added.

Imagine people complaining about not being able to register as a car collector, before they have purchased their first car.

Let's see ... couldn't you purchase 2 in 60, and before the 60 was completed, have your DC status and carry on?

Last edited:

jonb219

Oct 17, 2013
    Falling Waters, WV

I had the same problem. Although, Trooper Thompson was very helpful and responsive once my August purchase was finally approved. The approved DC letter arrived in a few days.

The application itself contains the language the Trooper Thompson referred to:

Code of Maryland Regulation
    Type Code of Maryland Regulations defines a collector as being an individual who:
    (a) Devotes time and attention to acquiring certain types of regulated firearms for the enhancement of the collector's personal collection and does not act as a firearms dealer; or
    (b) Possesses a Federal Collector's License (Curio and Relics)

jonathanglock

Oct 8, 2011
    Smithsburg, MD

Thank you"

Why do you want to be a designated collector and you don't have any guns, or have you not made any purchases in Maryland? Do you want to buy 5 or 10 at a time?

WeiShen

Oct 7, 2013
    Ward 7
    Interesting, she was nothing like that when I went through the DC process at the height of the beat the 10/1 deadline rush last year.

Got stuck for the exact same reason. Incredibly rude, condescending, and unprofessional when I called. I understand people have bad days, but I made it clear that a public servant doesn't treat the public like that.

Really got under my skin during our conversation. She tried slowly reading the requirements, and I was on the edge of telling her to go pound sand, but knew diplomacy was a much more fruitful route. Maybe she was having a bad day.

My firearms were not purchased in MD. It blew her mind that people who moved to the state with firearms years ago didn't have to register them, and the process was voluntary.

Puts a bad taste in my mouth just thinking about it.

Safetech

I open big metal boxes
    May 28, 2011
    Dundock
    Do you want to buy 5 or 10 at a time?

As for myself, I really don't see that ever happening. But once, I bought a handgun, then a week later, a great deal on another one came along, but I couldn't buy it because of the 30 day rule.

I ended up buying it for my son. (It stays at his house, so it's not a "straw purchase") I was going to just wait a while and transfer it to me. But now I think I'll just let him keep it.

Never the less, I never want to be caught it that position again. Hence the DC status now.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    As for myself, I really don't see that ever happening. But once, I bought a handgun, then a week later, a great deal on another one came along, but I couldn't buy it because of the 30 day rule.

I ended up giving my son cash to purchase it for himself (It stays at his house, so it's not a "straw purchase") I was going to just wait a while and ask him to transfer it to me. But now I think I'll just let him keep it.

Never the less, I never want to be caught it that position again. Hence the DC status now.

FIFY

Exactly the reason I applied.

I didn't want to miss out on a deal just because I had recently purchased something.

Suppose a close friend or family member you are not a heir to wanted to give you all or part of their collection. Under the gun of the month club rules, it could take years to complete the transfers.

Any good deal on more than 2 handguns is prohibited if you don't have DC status. (You can do 2 in 60 under MD law.)

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    Why do you want to be a designated collector and you don't have any guns, or have you not made any purchases in Maryland? Do you want to buy 5 or 10 at a time?

Agreed. The issue has been addressed many, many times in this forum.

How can someone declare themselves to be a ''collector'' and 'Devotes time and attention to acquiring certain types of regulated firearms for the enhancement of the collector's personal collection' when that person doesn't even own ONE qualifying gun?? THAT'S the rationale for rejections of those who own no guns.

Can someone call themselves a stamp collector without having any stamps?

It's really pretty simply....... and it pays to know the laws and how they work, esp in Md.

Safetech

I open big metal boxes
    May 28, 2011
    Dundock

:)

That's actually the exact way it went down. I was even out of town when he picked it up. (No. Seriously!) :)

I went with him to do the paperwork, and gave him the cash to pay for it. Then, he went back and picked it up while was... Idono... someplace.

I am glad it worked out this way this time, because now, if he wants to get another one, he won't have to do the training for the HQL, because he now has a handgun in his name.

Sitiin' here thinking, I've only shot it a coupe of time. It's never here for me to think of it when I'm going to the range.

Note to self: Borrow your (son's) Beretta next time!
    :sad20:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom