• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    I find it quite racist for the state to offer a lottery open to only black bears.

joppaj

Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Is the lottery a chance to win a black bear or is it only to be played by black bears?

Sorry Jim...

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    Black Bear season in Garrett County usally ends up lasting only a day or two - the quota gets met or close to it, and the DNR closes it. You have to call in a number daily to make sure the season is still on!

People hunt for Black Bears in my nieghborhood - never seen anyone with one - and there is still a bruin loaming around that is over 400 lbs.- I seen it again a few weeks ago.

I watched a Black Bear last week at the hillside clearing near Bear Creek - It wasnt too big - but they are strong! The bear was flipping boulders & rocks, and foraging on the grubs & whatever was under them. The Bear would lay its upper torso on top and flip a boulder over with its front arms/paws. It was pretty cool to see it.

Screwtop.243

Ouch...that thing kicks
    Jul 7, 2011
    People's republic of MD
    I shot a 180 lb. Bruin in PA back in 1997. One of 2,300 shot state-wide that year. For some reason, I'm not sure I want to shoot another one. I donated the meat and I still have the rug, but something about shooting a black bear is different. I'm not sayin' it's bad or anything like that, it's just on a different level that shooting a white-tail.

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    I have been told that they don't do anything with the meat in Canada. The guides/outfitters will get the bears skinned for the client, and toss the meat to the eagles and whatnot. I guess the black bears up there taste real bad.

The key to bear meat being good is a smaller bear and getting it gutted, skinned and chilled ASAP. You also need to trim the fat off. I haven't tried the meat, but this is what some hunters have told me. Pretty much like if you want to eat raccoon meat- skin and cool them asap, and be sure to remove the bulk of the fat and some glands, and that smaller raccoons taste better than the big mature ones.

If you feel bad not eating bear meat, get a fatty one and bring the skin to me to mount. I've got a guy interested in the fat (scraped off the hides) to make soap, and people who will take the foot bones. At least some parts normally wasted won't be. I've got spare parts of various animals all over the place ( if anyone wants fox and raccoon claws, I have hundreds in a bag somewhere). I also never toss good skulls, a lady in Sykesville takes them off my hands.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I've had (someone else's) bear meat in a stew.

In the '90s in Va had a close encounter with a bear at spitting distance. But it was the part of deer season that didn't overlap w/ bear in that area, and he turned around about a step and half before the SD threashold.

Have seen several since while fourwheeling ( Jeep type, not ying-ying) in VA/WV borderlands. But always fleeting and unpredictable. Without dogs or defacto bait, most bears are taken by people hunting in an overlapping season , and the bear stumbles onto them. In the areas of PA with highest succuess rates , it aproaches 01% .

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom