• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    When you go back to Greenridge State Forest try to camp at Bonds Landing. There are a few sites right on the river and it is back there. Most of the time I go back there, nobody else ventures that far. It about 35 minutes of ORV "roads" to get there. Took my wife before she was my wife there for our first camping trip and we loved it.

Go there within a month of deer season and it's more packet then a wal-mart parking lot. The trail to the right has a nice fishing hole about 1/4 mile up and the trail to the left isn't bad either but new germany area with savage river and MD Trophy trout area is WAY WAY WAY Better fishing and hiking!

Plus it's closer to stores if necessary.......downside.....it's an hour past green-ridge

ejholt

Feb 6, 2013
    +1 for Bolar Mountain. We had the camping experience of a lifetime a couple years ago there. We were deep in the woods tent camping when that Dericho decided to come through............what a nightmare!!! We lost quite a bit of camping gear, but were all safe, all kids and all!

We liked it so much we went back last year, great experience.

llkoolkeg

Hairy Flaccid Member
    Chincoteage/Assateague are nice but laden with horseflies and horse $hit. I'm no princess but found it detracted from my overall enjoyment factor. The George Washington & Jefferson National Forests along I-81 in VA, about 3 hours from here, offer everything you appear to be looking for.

rgramjet

Ultimate Member
    Jan 25, 2009
    Howard County
    +1 for Bolar Mountain. We had the camping experience of a lifetime a couple years ago there. We were deep in the woods tent camping when that Dericho decided to come through............what a nightmare!!! We lost quite a bit of camping gear, but were all safe, all kids and all!

We liked it so much we went back last year, great experience.

Holy Crap! My hunt camp is about 40 miles north and it took countless hours to clear the trees from the access roads. Unbelievable amount of damage. Can't imagine camping in that!

tomandjerry00

Ultimate Member
    Apr 12, 2013
    Chincoteage/Assateague are nice but laden with horseflies and horse $hit. I'm no princess but found it detracted from my overall enjoyment factor. The George Washington & Jefferson National Forests along I-81 in VA, about 3 hours from here, offer everything you appear to be looking for.

Have you done the back-country canoeing trips? The sites are only accessible by non-motorized boat and very relaxing with minimal horse crap. Mosquitoes yes, but not much crap and no other people.

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    I love Assateague...but not sure about dealing with mosquitoes. Someone mentioned Savage River State Forest....I used to camp off Poplar Lick Road during hunting season. Hardly saw anyone back there that time of year (but that was 30 or so years ago). At one time that was an ORV Trail...but I think it's closed to off road vehicles for the last 6 or 8 years. They had nice camping pads with fire rings in a couple areas. Since it's been so long, I don't know what is exactly there anymore, but you can call New Germany State Park and find out. http://www.dnr.state.md.us/forests/savageguide.asp
    or try this info:

Savage River State Forest
    127 Headquarters Lane
    Grantsville, MD 21536
    301-895-5759

Be aware that Black Bears can sometimes be pest in this area. Heck they can't even keep 'em out of the parks that have more amenities and park personnel (like Deep Creek Lake State park)

Mack C-85

R.I.P.
    Jan 22, 2014
    Littlestown, PA
    Took a week long white water canoeing class in PA. Instructor's first words to us were " if you don't get wet today, you didn't learn anything"

I learned a lot that week!!!!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Erno86

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 27, 2012
    Marriottsville, Maryland
    It's not back country camping...but you can rent boats, kayaks & canoes for some true wilderness canoeing at Shad Landing campground, in Pocomoke State Forest.

Early spring is best...before the mosquitoes come out.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Just to clarify the semantics. *Backcountry Camping* in the true sense means camping in a random spot in the woods. In Md State Forrests it has been camping only in marked camp sites for a buncha years now. At lot of them are indeed nice spots , and reasonably isolated, but not true back country camping.

In most National Forests , backcountry camping is default ok , except where prohibited or specifically regulated.

Erno86

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 27, 2012
    Marriottsville, Maryland
    You can pick any trail in Green Ridge State Forest, and go back country camping; given the proper safety measures for a campfire. Any non-numbered campsite, is usually designated as an overflow campsite.

corelokt

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 13, 2010
    parkville
    Just to clarify the semantics. *Backcountry Camping* in the true sense means camping in a random spot in the woods. In Md State Forrests it has been camping only in marked camp sites for a buncha years now. At lot of them are indeed nice spots , and reasonably isolated, but not true back country camping.

In most National Forests , backcountry camping is default ok , except where prohibited or specifically regulated.
    If you get a back country permit you can camp anywhere you please. It's better to stay at a previous campsite if you can. State parks are another ballgame.

corelokt

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 13, 2010
    parkville
    You can pick any trail in Green Ridge State Forest, and go back country camping; given the proper safety measures for a campfire. Any non-numbered campsite, is usually designated as an overflow campsite.

Green Ridge does have some nice numbered sites. And you can have alcohol( so the lady told me)...Not in state park campgrounds:tdown:

redhawk_hj

May 29, 2013
    montgomery county
    garret county has some nice places and you have deep creek lake there... we did some long day hiking there but i have no specific info on overnight or 2 day hikes..

Panzer Radeo

National Wanderer
    Apr 21, 2014
    Got a quick question. I know black bear populations are on the rise and encounters are increasing as such. Is it legal to shoot a black bear in self defense should it pose a REAL threat? I'm well aware that you should try to scare it off first with noise or yada yada. I do not harm any animal that I do not intend to eat or out of self defense. I also have no need to harvest a bear for any reason. So again, strictly self defense. Also, is it legal to open carry a firearm in some places like Green Ridge? Would most likely be carrying a Marlin 1895SBL 45-70.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Yes , if you are really , truely in danger , you may defend yourself from Yogi.

But the real issue is How. Firearms are prohibited from State Forests, except for the exceptions. Now if you were a duely licensed hunter , on the prowl for coyote or groundhog , and just accidentally had all your backpacking gear along ....

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom