• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    Nobody is "tossing out potshots from the sidelines".

Because of the Curran opinion, a warrant was secured based on the hypothetical charge the Maryland State Police "scored" my 180 day misdemeanor - a "scoring" they have never even informed me of. My home was searched by the Montgomery County Police and my firearms, rifles, pistols, shotguns, seized. I am not on the "sidelines", I'm right in the center of the field, and by the way, "potshots" are difficult to take when your firearms have been seized.

I have an attorney and I take this matter to the Administrative Law Judge in June. If I lose we are going to Circuit Court and if I lose there to the Appeals Court - and it will be money well spent.

I WISH I was on the sidelines. "People like me" however, have real "skin in the game." We just recognize how badly the deck is stacked against us.

And if you are looking for help from the Supremes, all you need do is look at how DC has evaded Heller.

It would seem that you have a hand in the fight, so I’m curious as to why are you approaching my post as if it were intended for you.

tcb100

Apr 18, 2010
    I assumed you were talking to me because I suggested Maryland was a lost cause & moving was the only answer? If not, I apologize. I'm a tad testy over this crap. Believe me, I wish it were otherwise. I have lived in Maryland for 60 years and heading over to West Virginia was not something I was planning on until the events of last month.

But after talking to a very good gun-rights attorney, I am rolling a very big stone uphill. I'm not willing to let them get away with it without testing what my rights really are. I cannot believe for example, that search & seizure are allowed by the courts based on the State Police hypothetical charge (there is still a 4th Amendment right?), or that the Maryland hypothetical puts me in violation of Federal law, allowing them to sieze my rifiles?

But judging from what has happened, I suspect I am a candidate for the Don Quixote award.

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    Don't give up hope.

I was recently told about a gentleman who testified up at the hearings in Annapolis who was arrested (and prosecuted) for CCW (even though he had a permit) and numerous other related charges all stemming from his defending (legally) himself during a car jacking attempt.

When it got before a judge, the judge dismissed all the charges and threw the case out.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Don't give up hope.

I was recently told about a gentleman who testified up at the hearings in Annapolis who was arrested (and prosecuted) for CCW (even though he had a permit) and numerous other related charges all stemming from his defending (legally) himself during a car jacking attempt.

When it got before a judge, the judge dismissed all the charges and threw the case out.

....and admonished the prosecutor.

MDMOUNTAINEER

Glock, AR, Savage Junkie
    Mar 4, 2009
    West Virginia
    I think we share sleeplessness based on what my clock says...I'm just saying we can't want the outcome of having to defend our life at fatal costs, not that we aren't willing to follow though. I simply think that in our day to day lives if we choose intelligently where we go we will not find the day to day need for the line of self defense. As for my father it is what it is. He has never owned a weapon since his Vietnam service, and believe me I wouldn't ever make even an unarmed move on the man as I learned when I was 16 and chose to be stupid. I don't want to have to kill anyone, I simply want to live and enjoy my family and rights in peace.

I don't think anyone WANTS to have to use lethal force. I know I surely don't. I hope to never have to draw my weapon in defense of myself or my family. But if I were in a situation with no other option, that's the last time I want to think "wow this never happened before, wish I had my gun".

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Admonishing an elected Attny General or States Atty won't disuade them. A large section 1983 awards against them PERSONALLY will.

Squaredout

The Widows Son
    Mar 25, 2010
    Don't give up hope.

Wow! I did not hear about this, nor was in made public. He had a permit and was still arrested and charged?

Squaredout

The Widows Son
    Mar 25, 2010
    I don't think anyone WANTS to have to use lethal force. I know I surely don't. I hope to never have to draw my weapon in defense of myself or my family. But if I were in a situation with no other option, that's the last time I want to think "wow this never happened before, wish I had my gun".

True words if I ever heard them.

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Wow! I did not hear about this, nor was in made public. He had a permit and was still arrested and charged?

yes, and he had clearly identified himself on the phone as not only the homeowner but also the victim. It was a messy thing.

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    what County was that?

Montgomery - not sure if it was the county police or if some of the incorporated cities/towns have their own forces and, if so, if it was one of those forces.

Squaredout

The Widows Son
    Mar 25, 2010
    Montgomery - not sure if it was the county police or if some of the incorporated cities/towns have their own forces and, if so, if it was one of those forces.

Norton, would you mind giving us details? It sounds interesting.

Bigfoot21075

Ultimate Member
    Nov 3, 2008
    Elkridge, MD
    Uh, are you kidding me? As one of those "civil servants," I can say that me and many of the other federal employees I know are gun owners and 2A advocates. And we're Maryland residents, just the same as you are.

Scapegoating this on federal employees is, IMHO, ridiculous. Talk to the masses in Baltimore City and the rest of the state where simply having a "D" after your name makes you supremely qualified for office. End the revolving door of Maryland politics, lack of Shall Issue only being a symptom of a deeper problem. Get some decent leadership in place, and only then will we see real change happen.

Until then, I'm sticking around and fighting the good fight. Coming just a few signatures short of getting HB52 voted-on, getting legislated civil immunity passed, and having McDonald on the horizon are all pluses in my book. Heck, I'm happy to see Ehrlich giving O'Malley a run for his money.

I'm not ready to throw-in the towel just yet.

You know, you have some great points. HB52 got voted on, that alone was a victory. There are more and more new gun owners popping up in MD all the time, that trend will not end any time soon either. Maybe we are not a lost cause....

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom