• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • relco86

Aug 6, 2011
    Moco
    Im looking to become a member at a range somewhere between Woodlawn and Columbia since I work in Bmore area and heard that marriotssville was a pretty good range.

Anyone have any suggestions or opinions about the range in Marriottssville or any of the other the outdoor ranges in the area? Im looking for something with a 150+yard rifle range with either a separate pistol range or something similar to that.

Thanks Guys.

Ganegrei

Comblock Convert
    Jun 23, 2011
    Somewhere in BoCo
    The AGC has a 200 yard range, a 100 yard range, a 50 yard pistol range, an archery range, trap range, shotgun patterning board, and an air rifle range.

In order to use the range facilities you have to join one of the clubs that is a member of the AGC. You cannot just join the range as an individual.

Arlington RPC, Monumental, and Stemmer's Run are three good clubs.

spr1

Aug 2, 2010
    Not a bad facility, but at least a few years ago the range nazi's/restrictive rules made it useless for any sort of realistic practice. Maybe it has changed.

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    spr1 said:
    Not a bad facility, but at least a few years ago the range nazi's/restrictive rules made it useless for any sort of realistic practice. Maybe it has changed.

All depends on definition of realistic practice. I shoot real bullets at real targets so it works for me. If you expect the exploding targets seen on the Discovery and History channel then I suppose it's a letdown.

bbrown

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 10, 2009
    MD

Rapid fire is now allowed, if that's what you mean. But no drawing pistols from holsters, for example, it's too easy to sweep the line.

What sort of "realistic practice" did you mean?

Bryan

todbiker

Ultimate Member
    Feb 11, 2012
    Laurel, Maryland
    Rapid fire is now allowed, if that's what you mean. But no drawing pistols from holsters, for example, it's too easy to sweep the line.

What sort of "realistic practice" did you mean?

Bryan

Allowing rapid fire is good news, I don't need to dump a mag, but it's nice to be able to practice double-taps. How often do they have ceasefires/target changes?

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    Allowing rapid fire is good news, I don't need to dump a mag, but it's nice to be able to practice double-taps. How often do they have ceasefires/target changes?

Every 30 minutes on the 100 yard range. The pistol and 200 yard ranges are self-regulated (no set times, it's up to the shooters on the line)

spr1

Aug 2, 2010
    Drawing from the holster and shooting at anything more than a glacial pace was not allowed the last time I went there.
    Sweeping the line? Don't allow shoulder holsters or cross draw, if someone can't draw from from a belt holster or appendix without sweeping someone, they don't belong there.

spr1

Aug 2, 2010
    All depends on definition of realistic practice. I shoot real bullets at real targets so it works for me. If you expect the exploding targets seen on the Discovery and History channel then I suppose it's a letdown.

Funny.... Reminds me of the black powder shooter at a local range who had fired about three shots in the hour he had been there. I asked him at one point if I could replace a target and he said "sure, I am letting my barrel cool".

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    spr1 said:
    Funny.... Reminds me of the black powder shooter at a local range who had fired about three shots in the hour he had been there. I asked him at one point if I could replace a target and he said "sure, I am letting my barrel cool".

I've been that guy but with center fire. AGC is a nice getaway spot for any of us who are cramped and cooped up in the more urban parts. Enjoying the outdoors is ok there too.

spr1

Aug 2, 2010
    I've been that guy but with center fire. AGC is a nice getaway spot for any of us who are cramped and cooped up in the more urban parts. Enjoying the outdoors is ok there too.
    Oh, I agree. It is a nice facility. I had some great experiences there shooting Chevy Truck Team Challenges. It is 15 minutes from my house, so that made me doubly mad to be challenged for shooting too fast.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    Oh, I agree. It is a nice facility. I had some great experiences there shooting Chevy Truck Team Challenges. It is 15 minutes from my house, so that made me doubly mad to be challenged for shooting too fast.

As long as all your shots hit the berm I don't think anyone will say anything about how fast you are shooting.

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    about half of my experiences there were good. there are alot of nice people there. there alot of complete idiots there. (any range is like that) there were range nazis who were so strict you swear they are anti gun. when the .22 guys show up and bitch at you for shooting big bore, dont be suprised. happened probably 30% of the time. we were yelled at for shooting 30 06 and .50 bmg by the guys with the overbuilt .22 contraptions. they had the RSOs move us down a few benches. since then i havent been back. there are alot of people there who dont belong on a range for the very reason ive mentioned. elitists, unrealistic safety nazis who think guns are radioactive killing machines. i heard there has been a change in the staff since then which i sure hope is true. ive met some VERY nice people there. many people from this site actually, and they are the redeeming factor that makes me consider going back.

Brychan

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2009
    Baltimore
    I've been a member of Stemmers run for about 3 years and don't spend a lot of time at the 100yd range, but when I do I have never had a bad experience. Love to get to the pistol range on a spring or fall morning when the temp is in the low to med. 70s on a weekday morning and have the range to myself for an hour or so.

bbrown

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 10, 2009
    MD
    The Thompson Collectors Association holds machine gun shoots there 3 times a month (2 on the pistol range, 1 on the 100 yard range), so you know that some things have changed. :thumbsup:

Bryan

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    There are 29 clubs that you can join. My advice is visit with those you plan to join and see what their meetings are like. That may be problematic with some clubs as they only meet once a year.

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    Indiana Jones said:
    about half of my experiences there were good. there are alot of nice people there. there alot of complete idiots there. (any range is like that) there were range nazis who were so strict you swear they are anti gun. when the .22 guys show up and bitch at you for shooting big bore, dont be suprised. happened probably 30% of the time. we were yelled at for shooting 30 06 and .50 bmg by the guys with the overbuilt .22 contraptions. they had the RSOs move us down a few benches. since then i havent been back. there are alot of people there who dont belong on a range for the very reason ive mentioned. elitists, unrealistic safety nazis who think guns are radioactive killing machines. i heard there has been a change in the staff since then which i sure hope is true. ive met some VERY nice people there. many people from this site actually, and they are the redeeming factor that makes me consider going back.

Saw the same thing too last year when the guys with a 10/22 couldn't handle being next to a K98.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom