• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jaygibson

Aug 17, 2010
    Great Mills, MD
    I recently picked up one of these for a decent price. It is a 1950 model and has a really good bore and the metal is decent. The stock has been refinished (poorly) and had a recoil pad installed.

I would like to bring this thing back to it's original luster. I am thinking of just replacing the stock and getting it re-blued. Does anyone know of anyone not too far from So. MD. that does good work. Thanks.

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    Factory Original Marlin 336A 30A 30AS Budget Hardwood Stock

This is a plain hardwood Factory Original Marlin 336A 30A 30AS Budget stock with buttplate. It has dings, dents, blemishes and chips in the tang area. But overall in fair to good condition.

Fits models 336A, 30A, 30AS, 39A & 39AS. But it will not fit a Marlin 39A Early Model. Sold As-Is.

Price is $35.85 on Ebay and it's Numrich selling it. Why not do it yourself?

Rickhead

XXXXXXXXXX
    Sep 12, 2010
    Probably cost more to restore than it's worth. If the stock hasn't been shortened you could replace the recoil pad with a buttplate. I'd probably strip the wood and refinish it. I see Marlin stocks on ebay occasionally.

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    I could handle the stock (re-finish or replace). I would need to find someone to do the blueing.

Buy yourself a cold blue kit it if it's that bad, won't look anywhere near factory but I have had good results. I mean you have nothing in it so look at it as a fun project, just strip it outside, it stinks!

Rickhead

XXXXXXXXXX
    Sep 12, 2010
    I've had occasional luck with cold blue. I tried the "heat the metal before application" aproach and that seems to work the best. I like 44-40 cold blue. You have to make sure the metal is clean, I've used break cleaner and/or carb cleaner. Make sure you wear gloves. Cold blue will not look as good as a professional job. Plus most of it is selenic acid and it has a lingering...stink due to fact that it contains sulfur.
    You may want to refinish the wood so it matches the metal, kind of like the antique finish offered on reproduction Winchesters and Colts. Good luck whichever you choose.

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    I would check with the gunsmith at Engage Armament. He has done some bluing, at least while training. You could talk to the folks at Corsica Coatings and see if they blue or have a shop they could recommend. Corsica could do a nice spray on finish. Both shops are in the Industry Partner section of the forum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lloyd_Hansen

Latest threads

Top Bottom