• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • krucam

Ultimate Member
    If in CA, he should be a member/reader of Calguns.net. If following some idealogical rationale for his actions, he is probably a frequent visitor to Calguns' 2A forum: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=71

Wow...there's a Sticky there put out by the legal eagles at Calguns entitled "Sticky: California UOCers: please avoid black rifle drama... "
    http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=338401

This individual would have been well advised to read the advice in that Sticky.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    Not really harmful, although he may get compensation for a civil rights violation from the PD for the picture attached to the article.

No it is.

The average non gun owner who see's this is likely to side on "he needs to carry around a shotgun" and label him as "crazy" impeding the arguement of "why shouldnt normal people carry".

It's a public image issue more so then a legal issue.

HardHatMan

FBHO
    Jul 14, 2009
    Virginia
    If in CA, he should be a member/reader of Calguns.net. If following some idealogical rationale for his actions, he is probably a frequent visitor to Calguns' 2A forum: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=71

Wow...there's a Sticky there put out by the legal eagles at Calguns entitled "Sticky: California UOCers: please avoid black rifle drama... "
    http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=338401

This individual would have been well advised to read the advice in that Sticky.

I'm a member over there and read a lot of the 2A threads.

The thing that gets me is, after the ban on UOC of handguns, he tries the next best thing and is still treated like a criminal. If MD passed OC tomorrow, I'd be carrying tomorrow. CA allowed UOC of handguns to get around passing concealed carry. Now, it's biting them in the ass.

Recoil45

Jul 29, 2011
    NY
    People start an open carry handgun movement in California and with record speed, laws in California are revised to make it illegal. So the logical thing to do is go out and open carry a shotgun at a shopping mall? Really?

This is like walking up to a lion with a steak tied around your neck and being mauled within an inch of your life. Then after healing for a few months, you tie another steak around your neck and seek out a pride(pack) of lions.

HardHatMan

FBHO
    Jul 14, 2009
    Virginia
    People start an open carry handgun movement in California and with record speed, laws in California are revised to make it illegal. So the logical thing to do is go out and open carry a shotgun at a shopping mall? Really?

This is like walking up to a lion with a steak tied around your neck and being mauled within an inch of your life. Then after healing for a few months, you tie another steak around your neck and seek out a pride(pack) of lions.

So should he not use the laws to his advantage and go unarmed? I agree OC'ing an unloaded shotgun is not the best choice when it comes to self defense, but what was he suppose to do? I bet he could load a round into that shotgun and use it if need be, faster than dialing 911 and waiting for the cops to arrive. ;)

HardHatMan

FBHO
    Jul 14, 2009
    Virginia
    Also, lets consider the county in CA where this happened. San Mateo county, where CCW is "will issue for reasonable cause". Anyone know what a "reasonable cause" would be in that county? Is it easy like some areas in CA or is it a "reasonable cause" like here in MD?

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    I wonder if the police went and detained whoever it was that reported the LEGAL activity. Isn't lying to the police a crime any more?:sad20:

Really?

I've never read a law that states if you call 911 and happen to be wrong about criminal activity you go to jail or get fined.

Let's be realistic here folks...how many of you if walking through your local mall saw a guy with a scattergun or AR lunged over his shoulder wouldnt call the police? Whose's wife or kids wouldnt call the police?

There are "norms" in society.

I guess the person who calls in a suspcious vehicle on their block should be detained if that car just happened to be legally visiting right?

Ab_Normal

Ab_member
    Feb 2, 2010
    Carroll County
    Really?

I've never read a law that states if you call 911 and happen to be wrong about criminal activity you go to jail or get fined.

Let's be realistic here folks...how many of you if walking through your local mall saw a guy with a scattergun or AR lunged over his shoulder wouldnt call the police? Whose's wife or kids wouldnt call the police?

There are "norms" in society.

I guess the person who calls in a suspcious vehicle on their block should be detained if that car just happened to be legally visiting right?

That is my point. When you don't break the law you should not have to worry about being messed with by 'the law'.

The Israelis carry around full auto M16's all the time and nobody has a problem with it.

The norms in our society are all fudged up. The norm for that needs to be like it used to be and how it is becoming in most free states. That is you should be able to go about your business knowing you, or at least others around you, have the means to defend yourself from criminals. The police won't always be there to protect you nor are they required to as some judges have ruled.

Recoil45

Jul 29, 2011
    NY
    So should he not use the laws to his advantage and go unarmed? I agree OC'ing an unloaded shotgun is not the best choice when it comes to self defense, but what was he suppose to do? I bet he could load a round into that shotgun and use it if need be, faster than dialing 911 and waiting for the cops to arrive. ;)

I think he should wait for the current court cases to make their way through the system. If many people start doing this, the laws in California will probably be changed again within 6 months.

Sportstud4891

Resident SMIB
    Jun 7, 2011
    Chuck County
    I'm not sure I understand some of the mentality at Calguns. Some people are saying, well we have a right to UOC but let's refrain from UOC so that it doesn't get taken away from us? Doesn't that defeat the purpose of having a right? Why have a right but don't exercise it? That's like saying I have a right to drive but I'm not going to because I don't want them to make me ride the bus, so I'm going to take the bus anyways. I'm not talking about the OP but to a few of the commenters on there. Seems like battered gun owner syndrome.

HardHatMan

FBHO
    Jul 14, 2009
    Virginia
    I'm not sure I understand some of the mentality at Calguns. Some people are saying, well we have a right to UOC but let's refrain from UOC so that it doesn't get taken away from us? Doesn't that defeat the purpose of having a right? Why have a right but don't exercise it? That's like saying I have a right to drive but I'm not going to because I don't want them to make me ride the bus, so I'm going to take the bus anyways. I'm not talking about the OP but to a few of the commenters on there. Seems like battered gun owner syndrome.

That's exactly what it is. CA has it a little worse than us because of the draconian gun laws. No NFA at all, "assault weapon" laws (reading about this will make your head spin), mag capacity limit of 10, no .50BMG, etc. They do offer CCW, but only in certain counties. In some counties, it's as easy as getting a permit in VA. Some are as bad/worse than MD. Check out this map, it shows how different all the counties are. My main gripe with this article is that they banned UOC of handguns, which was the only method of carry for people in certain counties, then when a citizen decides to use the next best legal thing that hasn't been banned, he is treated like a criminal. More people need to become aware that UOC of long guns is LEGAL. The people who call and complain about "a man with a scary shotgun" are the same people who vote against CCW where they wouldn't have to see it at all. Makes sense, huh? :sad20:

Boxcab

MSI EM
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 22, 2007
    AA County
    I think he should wait for the current court cases to make their way through the system. If many people start doing this, the laws in California will probably be changed again within 6 months.

And the detainment of this individual just short circuited one of the Anti's legal claims... that there is no CCW required because you have no restrictions on a long gun (Maryland's SA used this one).

I'm not sure that any harm was done. The fact is that in CA the General Assembly is actively working to eliminate all guns and ammo from the state (They are in session for something like 11 months of the year!). A quick look at the bills sponsored last year will confirm that. Ignoring these efforts does not make them go away.

If the guy pushes it any further, I might retract my statement.

Jack Gordon

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 27, 2011
    Places Unknown
    I hope I'm reading this wrong. A guy walks into a mall with a shotgun, people freak out, call police, and that's suprising? If you think doing that is a good idea, legal or not, you are what doctors would call mentally retarded

HardHatMan

FBHO
    Jul 14, 2009
    Virginia
    I hope I'm reading this wrong. A guy walks into a mall with a shotgun, people freak out, call police, and that's suprising? If you think doing that is a good idea, legal or not, you are what doctors would call mentally retarded

Nahhhh, that's just your MDBGOS (Maryland battered gun owners syndrome) kicking in. He was legally within his rights to do what he did. I'm sure he wasn't walking around the mall pointing it at people, because I'm sure the article would of have stated that. He had no other choices when it came to arming himself thanks to the state of CA. The state could easily avoid instances like this by allowing CCW. As I stated before, the people who will call and report this man for staying 100% within his rights are the same people who vote no to CCW where they wouldn't have to see it. I don't agree that OC'ing a shotgun is the best method of self defense, but you gotta roll with what you have available to you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom