• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • eddiek2000

Sweet Lemonade!!
    Feb 11, 2008
    Southern Maryland - Chuck Co.
    Just spoke with my Brother-In-Law and we are planning a MG trip the weekend after Easter. Where do you get a day pass? This late in the Season, I don't plan on spending the $20 for the season pass. My weekends end up being taken yard work, and the rest of the time is family and inside work. Plan on going early on the April 18th.

UrsaMajor

Mr. Know It All's Dad
    The ranger station is definitely a hit or miss deal.

When the rangers are on site they are policing the ranges and other areas. Out of the times that I have been there, I have only been asked twice for any proof that I have the pass/permit.

haoleboy

1/2 Banned
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 17, 2005
    Dentsville
    You can go to Lee's Market in Indian Head and get the pass. Don't worry about the day pass, get the year pass. The ones for Murtle grove are good for calendar year. Buy one today, and its good till 12/31/09. Its not like the hunting license, which is July to June.

eddiek2000

Sweet Lemonade!!
    Feb 11, 2008
    You can go to Lee's Market in Indian Head and get the pass. Don't worry about the day pass, get the year pass. The ones for Murtle grove are good for calendar year. Buy one today, and its good till 12/31/09. Its not like the hunting license, which is July to June.

Are you sure about that? I thought it ran just like hunting license.

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county

This is definitely wrong. The pass runs July through June.

but----since a chunk of the fee stays with Myrtle grove, support the Range and get the year pass.

MDcaptive

Dec 13, 2008
    I've gone twice with guests to get them day passes and someone has been on site each time. luck, perhaps?

AFAIK you can not get a day pass from any location other than on site. the other places will sell you the year pass, but it is my understanding no day passes. I know that is the case at Wal-mart anyway.

Also, I've been checked about 1/2 the times I've been there on weekdays. On weekends, not once. Seems to make sense, since the house is not staffed on weekends. But I still would not risk going w/o one.
    If you want to get a weekend day pass for a guest you have to show up during the week and ask them to make it for a later day. This is what they told me when I called to inquire for my guests.

ninja edit: oops, looks like last weekend is when you went. how did you make out?

eddiek2000

Sweet Lemonade!!
    Feb 11, 2008
    I've gone twice with guests to get them day passes and someone has been on site each time. luck, perhaps?

AFAIK you can not get a day pass from any location other than on site. the other places will sell you the year pass, but it is my understanding no day passes. I know that is the case at Wal-mart anyway.

Also, I've been checked about 1/2 the times I've been there on weekdays. On weekends, not once. Seems to make sense, since the house is not staffed on weekends. But I still would not risk going w/o one.
    If you want to get a weekend day pass for a guest you have to show up during the week and ask them to make it for a later day. This is what they told me when I called to inquire for my guests.

ninja edit: oops, looks like last weekend is when you went. how did you make out?

Had a blast. Brought too many guns, but that what happens when you keep buying and don't have a chance to shoot. My neighbor and I both ended up getting the year pass. I figure if we go a few times before Aug, it pays for itself.

Yea, I found out the only place to get the Day pass is at MG and they only staff the office between 8-12 M-F if you are lucky.

Now if we can do something about the Damn Shotguns:mad54::mad54:

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    hmmm...

The last time I was there the DNR officer told me we could get day passes at any place that sold hunting and fishing licenses (she recommended Fred's sporting goods, we didn't go there for obvious (ammo log) reasons). You can't buy the day pass online though....

Edward78

Apr 4, 2009
    Newburg, MD SoMd
    I went there today after work for A couple hours. I was all alone being it was A weekday and it rained all day but it was peaceful and not as muddy as I thought is might be.

I noticed how nice the target stands early in the week if they could only make it as far as Sunday like that :thumbsup:

nyu04

Mar 5, 2009
    Maryland
    I went there today after work for A couple hours. I was all alone being it was A weekday and it rained all day but it was peaceful and not as muddy as I thought is might be.

I noticed how nice the target stands early in the week if they could only make it as far as Sunday like that :thumbsup:

I thought about going today after work as well.. then I remembered that I only have 2 more boxes of ammo left for my pistol :sad20: I have had the worst luck finding ammo at decent prices in the last few weeks.

MDcaptive

Dec 13, 2008
    too many guns

this is a lie and you know it! ;)

hmmm...

The last time I was there the DNR officer told me we could get day passes at any place that sold hunting and fishing licenses (she recommended Fred's sporting goods, we didn't go there for obvious (ammo log) reasons). You can't buy the day pass online though....

yeah... pretty sure this person was misinformed, as eddiek found out I'm quite sure they can not. We explicitly asked at wal-mart once, willing and able to sell us any hunting and fishing licenses and full year range passes, but no-can-do on the day pass.

Old Salty Dog

Ultimate Member
    Nov 4, 2008
    Southern Maryland
    Not crowded this morning at all. By lunchtime, there were only two tables occupied! Plenty warm enough, though, with the sun out in a heat wave and being down in the range pit sheltered from any breeze, it was getting uncomfortable by the time we left.

Took the bride out for more familiarization today. She's got a better eye than she realizes. She shot the scoped 10/22 for the first time.....she put almost all 20 rounds on or within a half-inch of the bulls eye! :D

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    Not crowded this morning at all. By lunchtime, there were only two tables occupied! Plenty warm enough, though, with the sun out in a heat wave and being down in the range pit sheltered from any breeze, it was getting uncomfortable by the time we left.

Took the bride out for more familiarization today. She's got a better eye than she realizes. She shot the scoped 10/22 for the first time.....she put almost all 20 rounds on or within a half-inch of the bulls eye! :D

i should have gone but didnt feel like driving far after yesterday trip to chantilly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom