• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    What calibers of rifles are we talking here? I don't think it will be easy period to get RR ties in ( no road to the backstop, though could clear the space between the big trees to allow a pickup in 4WD to back in), and the 2-3 dump truck loads of dirt or sand would be even harder. They have to dump on the existing narrow ( fit a Tundra backed up) "driveway" which is just a wide ATV trail, then somehow a Bobcat has to be gotten behind it to lift and haul over and over 80-90 yards, and go back and forth. I 'd LOVE to do this method, but need a Bobcat or backhoe operator to get in there, and what would it cost, provided I find an operator for the machine? 3 dump loads of free fill-how much. 3 dump loads of sand- how much? RR ties, how much each, what # can a Tundra truck carry in the bed at a time? Bobcat delivery and rental? Or rental with trailer that hitches to Tundra? As an option, if I hired someone to move my dirt, what is normal charges? How many hours would they need to move that dirt to where the RR ties have been set up?

ill run the skid steer for free.
    rental and delivery on a machine runs about $300 for 24 hours.
    20 tons of sand (one full dump) can run $3-500.

let me come out and take a look at the property, there may be better options. the dirt on site might be ok.

are there any old lumber trails on the property?

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    ill run the skid steer for free.
    rental and delivery on a machine runs about $300 for 24 hours.
    20 tons of sand (one full dump) can run $3-500.

let me come out and take a look at the property, there may be better options. the dirt on site might be ok.

are there any old lumber trails on the property?

Can you rent a machine a half day instead? Looks like I need 3 dump loads to really make this good, but 2 may suffice. The only old logging trails are on the neighboring property ( developer) and are overgrown, and nowhere near all of this. There is a 4 wheeler trail but does not lead to spot I have chosen. I chose a spot right off the county road ( actually owned by RR but gives right-of-way access), then you go back 100 yards from that staging area. I could make it further back, but want to buffer enough in case the land behind there gets developed ( it will some day- lot's of houses- but who knows when-5-10 years?). Some trees need cut first, but there is enough room between them ( see the pic I posted) to probably get a smaller loader down it. It is level ground pretty much. Dirt on site appears to be very clay laden with a water table that is not too far under it. Any large area you dig out can turn into a pond, and I know you need permits for that. I'm not against the idea of a pond LOL, but the whole permit and enviro impact stuff you need for one makes it a PIA.

Anyway, sending you a PM.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    First some numbers about the grading permits.
    5,000 square feet
    100 cubic yards

A shooting lane 100 yds. long would need to be just over 16 feet wide to equal 5,000 sq ft. You probably would not excavate the entire length in any case.

If you did excavate a shooting lane 16 feet wide and 100 yards long you could dig the whole thing to a depth of 6+ inches before you reached the 100 cu yd limit for a permit. A lane 10 ft wide 100 yd long could go down 1 foot. That should give you some mental picture of the scope the project could be.

Next you said there are farms near by, so do any of the farmers have a tractor with a front end loader and maybe a teen aged son who wants to earn some spending money by moving dirt? The cost of a bobcat rental would probably get a kid with a tractor for more than you need.

Last as far as a simple design. Make a horizontal log wall as wide and high as you need stacked one log thick between metal posts with wood facing. Make a second similar wall parallel to the first and fill the space in between with dirt. The dirt does the stopping and the logs hold the dirt, just to be sure I would line the back wall with a layer of bricks or concrete pavers to prevent total penetration. The question of how far apart the log walls should be i.e. the dirt thickness will take some research but a quick Google search turned up the following, I would look for additional data and plan for at least .30-06 since that is a common caliber that someone might use. This would probably mean about 6 feet between walls I would want enough room for a front end loader just for potential maintenance.

A whole lot of variables are involved; type of sand, moisture content, size of granules, type of bullet, caliber, etc, etc.

To answer your question, At one time I was curious enough to build a frame of 2"x2" lumber and partitioned it with 1/8" masonite partitions set at 12" intervals.

Using this setup, and common dirt with lots of "sandbox" sand from the open desert, we got the following results:

Softpoint magnum pistol bullets: much less than one foot.

Full-jacketed .30 caliber M1 Carbine, 9mm and .45 ACP stops in about one foot, maximum.

FMJ 5.56 M193 stopped in less than one foot.

FMJ 5.56 NATO stopped between one and two feet.

FMJ medium rifle calibers (220 g .30-40, .30-06, 7.62 NATO) gave several feet of penetration.

The 220 g .30 calibers gave the most penetration; upwards of 5 or 6 feet. (Shades of Karamojo Bell!)

Now, you know why the military universally considers two thicknesses of sandbags to be adequate protection against bullets and shell fragjments!

This design should be fairly easy to maintain when the logs rot pull the old ones and replace then shovel the dirt back in. You may someday want to mine the dirt for lead reclamation, when you start casting your own. The other advantage is out of pocket cost should be minimal with logs available on site and dirt either on site or local.

If you arrange a raised platform to shoot from you would generally be shooting down toward the ground thus reducing the chance for a bullet leaving your property.

In case you want to shoot 155 MM or other heavy ordnance at your range. Grin.
    http://www.envirostor.dtsc.ca.gov/r..._documents/3987287223/Estimating Ordnance.pdf

Last edited:

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    I had Jaybeeze stop by today and we walked all over and looked at the location area, and he has a good plan, so it just goes to see what a dump load of sand and a 1 day rental of a skid loader would cost. He will do some minor grading for a 2 car parking spot, and the backstop. Other hitch is seeing what the yardage is from my staging point to the one neighbor's house, and if it's under 150 yds I'll need to get permission. BTW I'll need to put up signs in different spots that say "danger, shooting range" for all the people who seem to think it's a public parkland and cut through the property. Today there was a couple with a young child just wandering around, and then another couple with 2 kids on the paved road who were staring at my mother and glaring at her. There are horse people. Teens who like to hike. And of course the 4 wheeler pack who will no doubt go around barriers and disregard posted signs and blue painted tree trunks.

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    The 4 wheeler punks will learn after you shoot a couple of them ;-)

The way they get the hell outa dodge when they see us, they must think we are all George Zimmerman. Same goes for the neighbor who has the goofy shooting range, they saw him and his buddies and left in a hurry. In fact they have no tracks across their property. I told them it must be the shooting range, it scares them so they don't go on there. Ha ha ha ha.

carbonDRED

Dec 14, 2008
    Baltimore
    This is me subscribing to the thread, and offering my lifting power. I know we spoke a little while ago. Would you still want to meet up and show me around? I know I'd have a few guys that I could bring along once there's a solid plan in place.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    Same goes for the neighbor who has the goofy shooting range, they saw him and his buddies and left in a hurry. In fact they have no tracks across their property. I told them it must be the shooting range, it scares them so they don't go on there. Ha ha ha ha.

If you have some tracks across your property, put up some 'private shooting range, no trespassing' signs.

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    If you have some tracks across your property, put up some 'private shooting range, no trespassing' signs.

I plan to make some signs that say " CAUTION- Shooting Range". I also plan to open carry every time I go up there from now on, since it is finally warm enough to. Scumbags want to trespass and I see them and they see me? A lil open carry might make them decide to never come back. I just wish my mother would get into that, she ends up all alone pruning and then some new wanderer shows up. But she refuses to learn anything about guns and shooting.

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    CarbonDRED, Jaybeeze has still not gotten back to me yet. Nor has the guy I gave fox hunting permission to. Can't do much without Jaybeeze!

sorry, im here, just let me know what you need. the last message I got from you just seemed like an update.

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    I can tell you from yesterday that regular old 55 grain .223 will go through 1/4 plate steel like butter. my buddy made a metal target and we set it at 160-170 yards. the 1/2 inch thick piece took the beating and had dents on the backside. the 1/4 was Swiss cheese.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom