• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KSFrostie

Ultimate Member
    Mar 29, 2013
    Carroll County
    So I ended up coming into ownership of another old SxS 10Ga shotgun. I have decided to cut down the barrels to 18.5in and make a coach gun. I was looking for a gunsmith to do it for me. I thought it would be a matter of seeing a gunsmith with cash in hand and it could be done while I wait. But it seems that I severely under estimated the amount of time that it would take for a gunsmith to do the work. But I digress, It looks like I am most likely going to have to do it myself. Does anyone have any tips? Well that or does anyone know any gunsmiths that do this kind of service on a while you wait basis? :innocent0

KevinK

Ultimate Member
    Jun 24, 2008
    Carroll County, Md
    Don't know about while you wait, but Bollinger's (I P) is top notch.

If you do it yourself, add 1/2" just in case to avoid any possibility of ATF misery.

KSFrostie

Ultimate Member
    Mar 29, 2013
    Carroll County
    Don't know about while you wait, but Bollinger's (I P) is top notch.

If you do it yourself, add 1/2" just in case to avoid any possibility of ATF misery.

Thats why I said 18.5 not 18in :) If I wasn't in a time crunch I would definitely just drop it off at Duffy's or Bollinger's. But to be honest, I don't have the gun in my hands yet, It is coming in the mail(C&R) and I want to have it cut and ready to shoot for a range day on the 29th so I would need it in my hand by the 28th So that would be less then one week. All the Smiths I spoke too said 45-90 days minimum.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    The cutting part is easy, you only need a hack saw.

Drilling and tapping a new bead, may require a little finesse.

The real problem may lie in the barrel soldering, if either comes loose from the shortening process. Strange things can happen with older guns.

KSFrostie

Ultimate Member
    Mar 29, 2013
    Carroll County
    The cutting part is easy, you only need a hack saw.

Drilling and tapping a new bead, may require a little finesse.

The real problem may lie in the barrel soldering, if either comes loose from the shortening process. Strange things can happen with older guns.

This is true. Crowning and Squaring the barrels could be a challege as well. The barrel Solder issue is one that I was been thinking about as well. Good times. Well I guess I will get to see what happens LOL

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Engage made me one out of my Stoeger and with chopping, re beading, and barrel fill it was like 80 bucks and a week. I went lower then 18.5 and would highly suggest you see them (although I see distance might be a factor).

The important thing is that between the barrels is going to be the small hollow gap (it's not solid) and personally I think it would look bad not filled.

Never mind I see in post #3 the real issue is your time constraints.

KSFrostie

Ultimate Member
    Mar 29, 2013
    Carroll County
    Engage made me one out of my Stoeger and with chopping, re beading, and barrel fill it was like 80 bucks and a week. I went lower then 18.5 and would highly suggest you see them (although I see distance might be a factor).

The important thing is that between the barrels is going to be the small hollow gap (it's not solid) and personally I think it would look bad not filled.

Never mind I see in post #3 the real issue is your time constraints.

Oh yeah, I know gunsmiths that would do it for me. They are just book until the end of the year. :) I would much prefer to have a professional do it. Really, I wouldn't even care if it was a whiile you wait sorta thing. I would just need to before that monday. Since I don't have it in my hand yet. It shipped either last night or this morning. I should have it Tuesday-Wednesday of next week. That doesn't give a smith much time to work on it.

KSFrostie

Ultimate Member
    Mar 29, 2013
    Carroll County
    So I just got the tracking number it looks like it will be in my hand by COB Wednesday. Before I go and buiy all the stuff I need to chop the barrels, I will ask. Does anyone know any gunsmiths that could/would be able to get there hands on it wednesday afternoon/evening and be done and have it in my hands by sunday COB. I know its a HUGE long shot. But you don't know until you ask.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    I think you made a mistake on the title of this thread. I believe you would be better off calling it a "10 ga flame thrower". There's a lot more powder in a 10 ga shell, than a 12 ga shell. Then have that come out of an 18" barrel, wow. Please have someone video the first time you shoot that thing.

Good Luck!

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Not quite what you think you're looking for , but....

Take your 10ga to your CAS match as is. Trust me , you will recieve much favorable attention simply for using a vintage 10ga SxS. Then go ahead and have the bob job done correctly before the next match.

Consult the SASS publication, and the CAS focused forums for 'smiths who specialive in CAS. Once you satisfy yourself that your new toy functions as a complete shotgun, you can just ship off the bbl assy, and not have to worry about all the "firearm" procedures.

I'd have to google them back up, but there is a Montana based Class III/ SOT that specializes in form 4 and Form 1 SxS SBS / AOW conversions/ mfg . I'm sure they could do just as fast and professional bob job shortening to 18.5in as if for 12in . ( hint - shipping time is fastter rthan wait list times.)

KSFrostie

Ultimate Member
    Mar 29, 2013
    Carroll County
    Not quite what you think you're looking for , but....

Take your 10ga to your CAS match as is. Trust me , you will recieve much favorable attention simply for using a vintage 10ga SxS. Then go ahead and have the bob job done correctly before the next match.

Consult the SASS publication, and the CAS focused forums for 'smiths who specialive in CAS. Once you satisfy yourself that your new toy functions as a complete shotgun, you can just ship off the bbl assy, and not have to worry about all the "firearm" procedures.

I'd have to google them back up, but there is a Montana based Class III/ SOT that specializes in form 4 and Form 1 SxS SBS / AOW conversions/ mfg . I'm sure they could do just as fast and professional bob job shortening to 18.5in as if for 12in . ( hint - shipping time is fastter rthan wait list times.)

Oh this isn't my only vintage 10Ga shotgun. :) and I have a separate barrel for sport shooting for the one I am do a bob job on. I would never ruin the a firearm, well not totally at least. :)

KSFrostie

Ultimate Member
    Mar 29, 2013
    Carroll County
    I'm not sure I'd hire any gunsmith that was that readily available.

I really do think that I might be under estimaing the amount of work it would be for a gunsmith to do this for me. I am estimaing about 30ish minutes of their time. So, in my head I am thinking who wouldn't want to put in the extra 30 minutes and make so extra money. :) Yes I realize how selfish that is. On both ends, That the gunsmith has nothing better to do than just make money and to everyone in front of me that that would not get the benefit of that 30ish mins. I guess I see it from the prospective of I am also looking for ways to make more money and if there are two jobs one is going to take 30min and one is going to take 30 hours. I am going to get the 30 min job first so i can get paided.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom