• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • backnblack

Ultimate Member
    Nov 6, 2009
    Illegal to buy or sell in MD....Correct?

Can you Buy in PA/VA and bring into MD?

TIA

Fester60

Feb 1, 2010
    PA
    Illegal to buy or sell in MD....Correct?

Can you Buy in PA/VA and bring into MD?

TIA

You can drive right across the line buy them and drive right back and it's completely legal. It makes no sense and just causes law abiding citizens to go out of their way to exercise their 2nd amendment rights. Don't think about MD gun laws too much or you might get a headache/aneurysm.

Chris L

Bite me
    Oct 31, 2007
    Catonsville
    Also, you cannot transfer them in Maryland. Meaning you can't have a friend or relative in a better state pick them then bring them to you hear. You have to take possession across state lines.

backnblack

Ultimate Member
    Nov 6, 2009
    You can drive right across the line buy them and drive right back and it's completely legal. It makes no sense and just causes law abiding citizens to go out of their way to exercise their 2nd amendment rights. Don't think about MD gun laws too much or you might get a headache/aneurysm.

Thanks....Wife was worried that if we bring them back they would be illegal.

baltimorelaw

Mar 27, 2009
    I tried searching the forums and couldn't come up with anything so..... Does anyone have a reference to a LEGAL authority that confirms that the purchase of a 30 round magazine out of state is completely legal?

I have had this discussion numerous times with some people and would love to have a definitive source to present to them to put the issue to bed.

Lex Armarum

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2009
    4-305. Detachable magazines -- Prohibited

(a) Scope of section. -- This section does not apply to a .22 caliber rifle with a tubular magazine.

(b) Prohibited. -- A person may not manufacture, sell, offer for sale, purchase, receive, or transfer a detachable magazine that has a capacity of more than 20 rounds of ammunition for a firearm.

This is merely a pasting of the code and not a legal opinion. If there is no law against it, is the conduct illegal?

chris12138

Kitchen Table Machinist
    Jul 12, 2011
    St Marys
    What's odd is though high cap mag part kits are legal in MD, I can't get anyone to sell them to me. Not even Keep Shooting. And as far as crossing the border, maybe you guys closer to the PA line might have luck, but for those of us on the southern end there really aren't any gun shops near the MD/VA line to my knowledge. Gun shows seem to be the only real option, or mail them to a relative in a neighboring state.

JoeBobOutfitters.com

Industry Partner
    Oct 20, 2010
    Hays, KS
    What's odd is though high cap mag part kits are legal in MD, I can't get anyone to sell them to me. Not even Keep Shooting. And as far as crossing the border, maybe you guys closer to the PA line might have luck, but for those of us on the southern end there really aren't any gun shops near the MD/VA line to my knowledge. Gun shows seem to be the only real option, or mail them to a relative in a neighboring state.

Well....if you assemble the parts kits in MD you are against the law....based on what I see. A parts kit could only be used if you are upgrading old magazines, and not putting them back together, theoretically, from what I read.

Lex Armarum

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2009

Key word is "manufacture"

ColonelHurtz

A pile of little arms.
    Nov 13, 2008
    It is a stupid ****ing law and it should be abolished along with every other stupid ****ing gun law Paris Glendenning foisted upon us in 2000.

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    Does anyone have a reference to a LEGAL authority that confirms that the purchase of a 30 round magazine out of state is completely legal?

Law is not written to define what is legal. Its to tell you what is illegal. So there will be no law saying its legal to have a 30 rd mag or a 31 rd mag or ...

As far as an "Authority" saying something, as has been shown many times by the ATF and IRS, just because they say something does not mean its correct and they will still come after you for it. So it does not really matter. I called the state police about how to send an Assault weapon to a dealer. She said I had to take it to an FFL to ship it. I told her she was wrong and she agreed! She also told me there is no way to unregister these guns from your name if you send it out of state...

Bottom line is this. Maryland is a liberal state. The law is unconstitutional but it has the force of being sent to jail behind it. Being a liberal state we are going to have a Magazine ban of some kind. Given that we have the best one in the country. We can still own them but its a bit of a pain to get them. So just go out of state, get them and bring them back in. End of story. As far as the guys reading to much into it... if you are willing to give up your freedom before its stolen from you, then they don't even need to pass a law to steal it!

EL1227

R.I.P.
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 14, 2010
    Thread Jack ... again

That's NOT the only thing that we can thank him for ...

It is a stupid ****ing law and it should be abolished along with every other stupid ****ing gun law Paris Glendenning foisted upon us in 2000.

• Higher electric bills for the deal he cut with BG&E/Constellation.
    • Gay rights (for his brother)
    • $2B state deficit
    • EO halting executions in MD
    • and two words - Smart Growth (e.g. BIG government programs and gerrymandering the vote in favor of Democrats)

Owe-Malley is just carrying on time-honored MD Democrat Governor traditions.:mad54:

QuebecoisWolf

Ultimate Member
    May 14, 2008
    Anne Arundel
    To get back on track, we have beaten this topic to death. It seems like every possible question related to the magazine ban has been mentioned here at one point or another.

As far as "magazine parts kits" go, I'm not the least bit surprised that companies won't sell them here. That's a serious gray area. Sure the kit may be legal, but you're on your honor to go outside of Maryland to put it together and there's no way to know if you really did.

If the Legislature gets pissed off enough about the issue, they're bound to make new gun laws unless Republicans and Democrats from conservative areas get in the way. There's discussion about redistricting to make everything "more fair." Be afraid.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom