• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • takoma

Roving Bandito
    Apr 30, 2011
    Washington, DC
    Any thoughts about how to decide on a magnification range for a .22 riflescope? What I want to do with this rifle:

- plink & target shoot <150 yds
    - kill squirrels
    - introduce my wife & other non-shooters to shooting

I'm not going to compete with this setup, or shoot long range.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

haoleboy

1/2 Banned
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 17, 2005
    Dentsville
    I grew up shooting my fathers 10/22 with only a Bushnell 4x power scope.
    I have my own 10/22 and have a Nikon 3x9 on it. The 9x is More than enough to see as far as I can accurately shoot a .22 LR.
    You can see your hits on paper at 100 yards easily with the 3x9 and that is as far as I can accurately shoot .22's anyway.

Spur

May 1, 2011
    Harford County
    We shot .22 in competition (normally) at 100 yards from the prone. That was with Anshutz rifles that would shoot sub-minute, and often we used high magnification, sometimes 24X,on high quality scopes. I believe the sugession about a 3X9 Nikon is a good one for what you indicated you wanted. Shooting high magnifcation takes practice and concentration. The .22 at a hundred yards behaves like .30 cal at 600 yrds. in the wind. The highest I would recommend is 16X, but you need a low variable for hunting. 16X for hunting would be very, very difficult.

balttigger

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2008
    Middle River, MD
    I have a 4-16x on mine. The 4 is wide enough of a view for target shooting and the 16x gets in on the squirrels real nice from 50 yards and beyond.

Mrhyde

Capitalist-Pig
    May 22, 2010
    Bel Air MD
    I've got a 4-12 bushnell on my 10/22 and I love it.

I normally leave it set around 9x-ish for the majority of my shooting. But the 12 works well to 100 yards.

60 bucks at walmart.

It's more accurate than I am. I have to learn to steady my rest.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    Go to a big store like bass pro, cabelas, gander or the like and look thru their scopes, near and far and see what works for you at close and longer distances.

I don't have the best eyes in the world and always go with the largest diameter Objective Lens I can get. Lets in more light so i can see the targets better. A 3-9x40 will be a lot brighter than a 3-9x20. Just because one has a relatively inexpensive .22 doesn't mean one has to put a cheap scope on it.

krashmania

Still dont know anything
    Feb 6, 2011
    churchville
    I think it really depends.on how good your vision is. Mine is absolutely awful, to the point where I cant even use irons past 20 or so yards with any real consistancy. I have a 6-20x50 on my mossberg 802, and I love it, I'll even use that as a spotting scope for other guns.

It only cost me like 40 bucks, too.

Please try and borrow someone elses before you make a decision, it will make a big difference.

rj1974

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    Edgemere , md.
    I would honestly be more concerned with parallax under 50 yds . . Mueller makes some nice 22 scopes for a good price that have no parallax down to 10 yrds .

hammer

Feb 9, 2009
    x2 mueller

I have this on my savage .17 and love it. you can't go wrong. Got mine at natchez for a good price. ebay is good too.in fact if you don't like it Ill buy it from you.thats how much I believe in them.

Mueller APV 4.5-14×40AO (Black)

Designed for the Shooter by the Shooter! The New Mueller APV (All-Purpose Variable) fills the gap left by other brands for the need of an inexpensive all-purpose scope. The new Mueller APV has an extremely wide angle field of view, combined with edge-to-edge clarity that out performs anything in its class and at a price that is second to none!(Sunshades are not included)

Features
    Fully multi-coated camera-quality crystal lenses for superior edge-to-edge clarity
    Wide-angle field of view
    Water-proof, fog-proof and shock-proof
    Minimum Parallax settting 10yds
    Traditional style eye-piece focus with Locking ring for added bolt clearance
    All weather power change ring
    Capped finger adjustable turrets
    Limited Lifetime Warranty
    $149.95

Specifications
    Part # MAPV451440
    Eye Relief 3.5-3.25″
    Length 13.75″
    Weight 17.5 oz.
    Tube Size 1.0″
    Color Black
    Lenses Fully Multi-Coated
    Magnification 4.5 – 14 × power
    Objective 40 mm
    F.O.V. 27 – 9 feet @ 100 yards
    Parallax 10 yds min
    Click Value 1/4 M.O.A.

Screwtop.243

Ouch...that thing kicks
    Jul 7, 2011
    People's republic of MD
    I thought it might be overkill, but I mounted a Burris Fullfield II 3 X 9 on my Model 60. I took it to the range and was actually quite pleased with the results. The scope has a duplex retical and oddly enough, came in handy, as I can use the point where the vertical cross-hair makes the "heavy to fine" transition as a hold over to compensate for the approximate 4" drop at 100 yards. I don't think it makes the rifle unacceptably heavy, either. YMMV.

Best,

ST243

Kingjamez

Gun Builder
    Oct 22, 2009
    Fairfax, VA
    At 100 yards you'd need to keep a consistent cheek weld so that you are looking through the scope the same way every time. On a .22 it's not a big deal. Most non parallax adjustable scopes are set to be parallax free at 100 yards.

-Jim

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Got a Leupold 1x4 on a Kimber of Oregon rifle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom