• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    All actions have consequences. In a SHTF scenario, as a civilian without logistical support you train to retain your gear unless safety dictates otherwise.

Unless you are in a rush to reload your firearm, then practicing retention is important in your training.

Some people wear too much gear and that slows them down more than a retention reload will. Some people cant get in and out of a vehicle, or get up off the ground because their gear is setup wrong, too bulky, or heavy. Some try to carry a million mags and have expended all of their energy humping gear that is not necessary and probably had to remove food, water, and other essentials to make up for the massive ammo loadout. On the other side of the coin you dont want to have too little ammo either.

IMHO, having a boutique Rifle or proprietary weapon like a Gas Piston AR is a massive handicap. Machines break and you better have a "common machine" (AK/AR) when the internet is not available, currency crashes, gunsmiths are in short supply, and gun stores are not an option.

Last edited:
    Feb 28, 2013
    Seems to me, you'd take 'em back with you. After all, in a shootout you'd be behind cover. Pull a loaded one, stow the empty.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    The M-16 USGI mag was intended as a use once and dump issue originally.

Uuh, no.

You carried X mags, and then additional ammunition in bandoleers. If you dumped your mags after one use, you would have ammo, but no way to load it to shoot it. Talk to those who were there. One friend, who was Special Forces in VN in the 60s, carried 5x 30 round mags (one in rifle, 2x 2 mags in belt pouches), , and 2 or 3 or even 4 or more 140 round bandoleers when he went walking about.

The only use once and dump system are stripper clips and M1 Garand clips. Everything else, expected you to hang on to the mags and reload them.

Flametamer

MDS Supporter
    Mar 6, 2014
    Frederick County
    Uuh, no.

You carried X mags, and then additional ammunition in bandoleers. If you dumped your mags after one use, you would have ammo, but no way to load it to shoot it. Talk to those who were there. One friend, who was Special Forces in VN in the 60s, carried 5x 30 round mags (one in rifle, 2x 2 mags in belt pouches), , and 2 or 3 or even 4 or more 140 round bandoleers when he went walking about.

The only use once and dump system are stripper clips and M1 Garand clips. Everything else, expected you to hang on to the mags and reload them.

Not the best solution for an extended fight, but it was what we had to work with. Reloading mags under fire was a very special experience. Couple of times we had a guy reloading while the rest of us fought (like they had the women do in the old western movies) but but things were generally pretty hairy when we started to run low....

OrbitalEllipses

Ultimate Member
    Jul 18, 2013
    DPR of MoCo
    That's true, and this illustrates why it's prudent to stock up while the supply is plentiful and prices are low. I'm not advocating being frivolous and wasteful with regard to disposing of mags, but if you've got a 25 y/o USGI mag with bent feed lips that doesn't feed reliably, might be time to toss it.

:thumbsup: Now's the time to buy a box of Pmags to split between yourself and a friend.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Uuh, no.

Those words were from Stoner's lips. I did say "intended use".

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Uuh, no.

I'm pretty sure Outrider is correct, I recall reading that Eugene Stoner said that about 20 round magazines. Now, that may have been taken out of context in regards to the problematic waffle 20's, but I recall the statement.

Personally I think all non polymer AR mags are obsolete when compared to modern polymer magazines.

EDIT, I saw Outrider beat me to it.

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    Seems to me, you'd take 'em back with you. After all, in a shootout you'd be behind cover. Pull a loaded one, stow the empty.

Yea, I would think so. The simulations are OK, but in reality, I don't plan on being in a war of any kind. Even in a SHTF situation, I'm unlikely to be attacking or being attacked by a heavily armed force to the point of not being able to retrieve valuable equipment/supplies. Maybe that's dreaming, but even the best plans cannot be all-inclusive for the average Joe.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Personally I think all non polymer AR mags are obsolete when compared to modern polymer magazines.

I'm going to respectfully disagree with this. I've found with plastic mags, that COAL max has to be 2.260". With some metal mags, I can load out cartridges to 2.300". Each type has their uses. I prefer plastic for basic .223/5.56 ammunition, and steel for when I experiment with handloads.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I'm going to respectfully disagree with this. I've found with plastic mags, that COAL max has to be 2.260". With some metal mags, I can load out cartridges to 2.300". Each type has their uses. I prefer plastic for basic .223/5.56 ammunition, and steel for when I experiment with handloads.

Understood and a good point.

I have no use for reloads, thus my perspective.

Erick

Sep 13, 2013
    Good discussion.

Even though I can tell some didnt watch the vid and just answered the title. ;)

The statement "are expendables" does not of course apply to any situation other than an emergency.
    Hence the Vid...

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Good discussion.

Even though I can tell some didnt watch the vid and just answered the title. ;)

The statement "are expendables" does not of course apply to any situation other than an emergency.
    Hence the Vid...

The vid I saw was an aftermath vid. I saw no action on that video. For the record.

Feb 28, 2013
    The "use 'em once and pitch 'em" guys can do whatever they want. I'll be reloadin' mine, and if I find 'em I'll be reloadin' theirs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Shive62

Latest threads

Top Bottom