• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ETH092

Aug 29, 2010
    Harford County
    Hey guys. now im looking into buying an AR and I'm already quite knowledgeable on all of the legal issues, etc of the whole thing. such as mags with 20+ rnd capacity are not legal for purchase in the state of MD. now I know I can ride to a PA gun show and buy USGI 30rnd mags all day. getting to the point, is it legal for me to buy those same mags from a PA-resident friend from his home ? im leaning towards yes, just would like to be positive, thanks. :cool:

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    Hey guys. now im looking into buying an AR and I'm already quite knowledgeable on all of the legal issues, etc of the whole thing. such as mags with 20+ rnd capacity are not legal for purchase in the state of MD. now I know I can ride to a PA gun show and buy USGI 30rnd mags all day. getting to the point, is it legal for me to buy those same mags from a PA-resident friend from his home ? im leaning towards yes, just would like to be positive, thanks. :cool:

so long as the purchase takes place in PA....it cant be transferred, received, such as mailed to you in the state.

eric_2902

Retired Army
    Jan 13, 2010
    Conowingo
    Can someone walk the dog for me on this one? Im a bit confused...

Are you saying that a MD guy of course cant buy them in MD or have them mailed here but if I went to another state and brought them back its ok? That sounds nuts. I'm not gripping, just sounds like something I would get in trouble for.

So, if I understand correctly what you are saying...I can go to PA, buy 30 round magazines, bring them home, then go to a MD range and make little holes in paper and its all ok because I did not technically "buy" or "receive" the magazines in MD?

Interesting and confusing to this displaced Texan...

BeltBuckle

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2008
    MoCo, MD
    So for a guy who does this (lives in MD, goes to PA and buys 30 round magazines, then comes back to MD). Should a document history be kept (receipts) showing it was purchased in another state? This is nutty

that would, in fact, provide documentation... but on the principle of "innocent until proven guilty" I would think it might be superfluous.

But it is not wrong to be paranoid, because they are indeed out to get us...

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    So for a guy who does this (lives in MD, goes to PA and buys 30 round magazines, then comes back to MD). Should a document history be kept (receipts) showing it was purchased in another state? This is nutty

if you wanted to be absolutely sure yes document...many ridiculous laws in md compared to TX...thats why Im headed back to tx in another year...

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    Documentation might help, but there's nothing in the law about possession. From Maryland code 29.03.01.30:

The manufacture, sale, offer for sale, purchase, receipt, or transfer of a detachable magazine with a capacity of more than 20 rounds of ammunition is prohibited, with the following exceptions:

A. The magazine is for a .22 caliber rifle with a tubular magazine;

B. The magazine is for an individual identified in Regulation .02C(2)(a), (c), and (d) of this chapter;

C. The magazine has been rendered permanently inoperative;

D. There has been a transfer of the magazine by inheritance or to a personal representative under the same circumstances specified under Regulation .02C(2)(e) and (f) of this chapter.

Given that Maryland law doesn't extend beyond Maryland's borders, you can receive the mags in another state and possess them legally in the "Free State."

Fester60

Feb 1, 2010
    PA
    I went to the Fawn Grove, PA show on Sunday and bought several mags. Then drove all of a quarter mile back to MD and it's completely legal. I pay cash and rarely even get receipts, but remember they would have to prove you got them illegally. You are not reseponsible to prove your innocence.

ETH092

Aug 29, 2010
    Harford County

you're absolutely, driving you insane about how un-free we are in the 'free state' are these politicians aim. you'll find they have quite the one-track mind. :tdown:

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    I've long believed that the fireworks stands on the PA border should stock hi-cap mags as well. They'd make a fortune.

LostSoul

Nugget Popper
    Oct 29, 2008
    Ho Co
    I've long believed that the fireworks stands on the PA border should stock hi-cap mags as well. They'd make a fortune.

LOL! Combine it with a discount liquor store and I'd make weekly trips!

But yeah, as has been stated and referenced, it's fine and dandy to bring 20+ round magazines into the state, as long as you take possession of them outside of Maryland. Don't buy/trade them here, don't have them mailed here. Don't have your buddy buy them out of state and give them to you here.

Schwabe

Ultimate Member
    Nov 20, 2010
    Sho'a
    Since simple possession is legal I do not see where you need prove where you bought it. They would have to prove that you DID buy/receive it in MD to charge you with anything.

As to being nuts ... at least we can get and use mags of any size unlike say NY and Cali where you cannot ... hey in Joysey you cannot even pump your own gas ....

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom