• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Silverlode

Ultimate Member
    Aug 16, 2010
    Frederick
    What is the prevailing opinion on how sharp a machete should be? Sharp as I can get it, or is there a reason that is a bad idea?

Thanks

tball

Ultimate Member
    May 20, 2010
    St. Augustine, Florida
    Be careful at what kind of edge you are putting on it. Keep in mind what you are using it for. If you are using it for branches, you don't want a knife edge on it.

rpker

Ultimate Member
    Jun 26, 2009
    Charles County
    What is the prevailing opinion on how sharp a machete should be? Sharp as I can get it, or is there a reason that is a bad idea?

Thanks

Generally sharpen them with a bastard file with a few passes on each side in the direction from the from the center of the blade towards the cutting edge. The other way around will cause you to lose fingers and look something like him -->:party29:

BeltBuckle

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2008
    MoCo, MD
    it all depends on what you plan to use it for, and how practiced you are. I like mine sharp, but I've been swinging one for years, under all sorts of conditions. but for most folks, too sharp creates more problems than it solves...

YMMV

On weeklong treks into the wilderness trip you can take along a household diamond rod for maintaining the edge, and a small mill file used for removing edge damage. I have 2 Brazilian Circa 1814 Machetes and a standard kitchen sharp edge has served well over the years.

Sharpness plays a role, but it’s not so much the blade sharpness as the function of the machete, that’s why they’re so cheap and come in a lot of different styles for various usage purposes. From chopping wood, bamboo, wood or veggie vines, cane, big jungle snakes, dressing out game or more warrior like activity.

In general terms, the harder the material you are cutting with the machete, the higher the edge angle you should try to attain. The higher the edge angle the stronger and duller the blade.

If you are using your machete to cut grass or non-woody vegetation, small sharpening angles of 20-25 degrees work best, as razor-sharpness is necessary, and there is little risk of chipping the fine edge.

If cutting Woody vegetation and branches, however, a larger sharpening angle of 25-35 degrees is recommended. The more durable edge will withstand the trauma of repeated chopping strokes. For a machete or camp knife used for heavy chopping, we recommend a utility edge of 25-30 degrees.

I love Guns, Bows and Sharp Edged Utility Products equally the same …

kohburn

Resident MacGyver
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2008
    PAX NAS / CP MCAS
    its not about not making it sharp - more about the angle of the grind. a steeper angle will hold its edge longer. you can still get it good and sharp.

joemac

Ultimate Member
    Mar 17, 2010
    West Point Va
    I like a steeper edge but pretty damn sharp. I could slice fruit with it but I don't like a super long machete. I have a bolo style el cheapo, but the steel is not bad. It is 14" I think. I take a file to it some and then finish up with a stone. I've never had any trouble cutting myself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom