• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • edhallor

Feb 23, 2010
    Aberdeen
    DUPLICATE

Perhaps I am mistaken but I see a red flag on the M44 Russian Carbines Widener's just put up for sale at $169.95. Reading the Ad it appears Widener's is saying the Carbines may not have matching serial numbers, they could be rusted, no slings and the Barrel is counter bored for better accuracy?
    For our younger members counter boring is over-drilling the size of Bore several inches into the Muzzle. I have heard several reasons for doing this, the Bore is shot out, rusted or the Weapon was cleaned so much with the metal beaded cleaning chain that was provided to the troops, that the Crown of the Bore was worn to an oval.
    I have never had anyone convince me that changing the Ballistics of a weapon by using a shot out counter-bored weapon improved accuracy. I can however guarantee it will drop the price and make the Weapon harder to re-sell.
    Nice M44 Carbines are getting harder to find, but for a similar price a fair to good Carbine can occasionally still be found.
    Who knows? maybe we have reached the end of the excellent M44's and this is a last ditch to obtain one of these historic weapons, but I don't think so.
    Don't get me wrong I applaud Widener's for their honesty, but think with a bit of searching and maybe a few Bucks more our members can do better.
    Later,
    Eddie O

Attachments

• M44  Carbine Wideners 170.jpg
      M44 Carbine Wideners 170.jpg
      9.8 KB · Views: 137

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    Ed, that's good input! $170 M44's in today's market kinda means they would not be the same quality as some we got for that price 10 years ago. I'm not suggesting they're not good. But they won't be top shelf.

tomandjerry00

Ultimate Member
    Apr 12, 2013
    The one I ordered from Wideners for $170 a couple weeks ago really looks great. All matching numbers, no rust, good bore, etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom