• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    Yeah, the problem with Fulton is that you're spending an extra $1200 for a Krieger barrel and the labor to hand fit everything.

A Springfield M1A Loaded gets you 90% of the way there for half the cost.

Im a M1A newbie but from what I understand the fultons use more USGS or milspec parts whereas springfield makes their own. I did a quick calc for the parts that go into the fulton and it seems like a decent deal *IF* you want more original parts. Me: I'll never notice the difference. Agreed, those last 10% are always the expensive ones...

just ordered ... and two 20 round mags.
    http://www.44mag.com/ has CMI mags for $30ea shipped. Cheapest I could find and have 4 on the way.

I really doubt the better barrel would make much of a difference with me shooting it. I'm the weak link in the chain not the rifle.
    x10 w/ me! But Im a sucker for high precision toys. I never get to blame the equipment so I *KNOW* how bad a shot I really am;)

sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    If you plan on putting glass on it, you're going to want a cheek riser as the scope will sit way too high for any sort of cheek weld without one...

43AC5D74-D701-4734-B201-B8827A553556-12848-00001D8742A9FAE6_zps8ff2eda0.jpg

DE7E67CC-25CE-45D0-A6AC-9287DC601FEE-14516-0000218B33AF178D_zpsbc64d995.jpg

mcsurgeon

Jun 10, 2009
    catonsville,md
    thanks for the heads up

Im a M1A newbie but from what I understand the fultons use more USGS or milspec parts whereas springfield makes their own. I did a quick calc for the parts that go into the fulton and it seems like a decent deal *IF* you want more original parts. Me: I'll never notice the difference. Agreed, those last 10% are always the expensive ones...

http://www.44mag.com/ has CMI mags for $30ea shipped. Cheapest I could find and have 4 on the way.

x10 w/ me! But Im a sucker for high precision toys. I never get to blame the equipment so I *KNOW* how bad a shot I really am;)

without this thread i could not have gotten my "michelle," now i have to memorize the rifleman's creed,thanks and am glad to say that i beat the ban!:lol:

pez34a

Feb 17, 2013
    Columbia, MD
    Big white box truck dropped the new toy off at the FFL today, so I rushed over after work to do the paperwork. Time to hurry up and wait!

sailskidrive

Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    I believe the company is called Bradley Cheeks. The riser is really solid, I doubt it even wiggles an eighth of an inch.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    Thanks. How hard is it to put glass on one? I like peep sights but I have a bunch of scopes I could use to see how good it really shoots (vs my old eyes.) I briefly read both the SA receivers might be a little off and require fitting the mount, and the SA mounts aren't very sturdy. Any truth to those? Is there a recommended mount?

sailskidrive

Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    The Springfield Armory mount sucks, I went with an A.R.M.S. #18 (Swan). The SADLAK and Smith Enterprises mount are also very good. Springfield had a brief production period where they made out of spec receivers that have mount compatibility issues. Using some Google-fu you should be able to locate that range of serial numbers.

You're going to want a good quality scope as M1As have been known to chew up and spit out marginal quality optics.

blindnoodle

Livin' the dream!
    Apr 21, 2009
    Thanks. How hard is it to put glass on one? I like peep sights but I have a bunch of scopes I could use to see how good it really shoots (vs my old eyes.) I briefly read both the SA receivers might be a little off and require fitting the mount, and the SA mounts aren't very sturdy. Any truth to those? Is there a recommended mount?

All receivers are "off." Even the $2,000 hamer/cnc/plutonium/uranium/forged-by-the-hands-of-god receivers are "off".

My late SA receiver had no issues.

SA mounts are sturdy, but they don't make as much contact with the receiver as the others do, so they shift over time.

The Springfield Armory mount sucks, I went with an A.R.M.S. #18 (Swan). The SADLAK and Smith Enterprises mount are also very good. Springfield had a brief production period where they made out of spec receivers that have mount compatibility issues. Using some Google-fu you should be able to locate that range of serial numbers.

You're going to want a good quality scope as M1As have been known to chew up and spit out marginal quality optics.

I had an SWFA SS on a Sadlak mount for the longest time with no issues. Go ahead and get a Sadlak NM spring guide too if you get one of their mounts.

sailskidrive

Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    I had an SWFA SS on a Sadlak mount for the longest time with no issues. Go ahead and get a Sadlak NM spring guide too if you get one of their mounts.

Which SWFA SS did you put on your M1A?

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    And picked it up today (M1A loaded) from SureShot :D It and the Tavor are now sitting beside each other in the safe, each thinking about the other: "WTF are you?"

Attachments

• IMAG0653_M1A_resize800.jpg
      IMAG0653_M1A_resize800.jpg
      18.6 KB · Views: 201

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads