• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • frdfandc

Fish It
    Aug 27, 2011
    Elkton, MD
    Wondering if anyone is using/has used an M1A for long range shooting.

I don't have the funds to purchase a dedicated L/R bolt gun, but thinking I can do a quality scope and mount on my M1A to shoot out to 600-800 yards.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Jerry M

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2007
    Glen Burnie MD
    Yes, it can be done, but you will be better off in the long run with a bolt rifle. Mounting the scope on a M1-A is a PIA unless you have an LRB with internal scope bases. The screw type mount looks cool on the table at the gunshow, but rarely hold zero in the field. Also, they rarely align with the bore to give you necessary come-up for anything past 500-600 yards.

Good luck

Jerry

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    It can be done but a really decent set-up will be costly. Not to mention the accuracy modifications needed to insure the best performance accuracy wise from the M1A. When you price it all out, I think you will find that a bolt gun really isn't all that expensive and will give you better results.

Yoshi

Invictus
    Jun 9, 2010
    Someplace in Maryland
    Ive been talking to a few fellas about my Loaded M1A... With a good bed job and some other mods, I can expect increased accuracy. Cost won't be equal to a new bolt gun, but close. I do have several bolt guns, but there's something about taking that M1 long thats appealing.

frdfandc

Fish It
    Aug 27, 2011
    Elkton, MD
    Here is the scope mount I'm looking at. One of the best on the market for M1A.

http://www.sadlak.com/si_rifle_parts_sm.html

I figure for the time being with the mount and scope it will get me started, then I can start to save up for a quality bolt gun. Then transfer over the scope.

If SB281 didn't force my hand to purchase the M1A, I'd already have a nice long range bolt gun.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind

I don't have the funds to purchase a dedicated L/R bolt gun, but thinking I can do a quality scope and mount on my M1A to shoot out to 600-800 yards.
    I have shot my "Loaded" M1A out to 1k several times, both with iron sights and with a NightForce 3.5-15x50 scope, and have shot it a lot out to about 600-700 with irons.

As Jerry points out above, the screw-on mounts are FAR less than ideal, and even if they did hold zero, they put the scope so high, any hope of a decent cheekweld is gone and the outstanding ergonomics of the M14/M1A are defeated.

Absolute accuracy, while not in the same league as a precision bolt gun or AR-10, is really NOT the problem. The real problem is "shootability" when configured for a scope, and even a chassis style stock leaves a lot to be desired, due to how high your head has to be. Even with the stupid padded cheek riser that allows you to touch something as you crane your neck to get behind the scope, shooting the gun has lost its charm.

Yes, you can perform the acrobatics and "shoot it" as far as you want to, but it will not provide 50% of the performance of a bolt gun or even an AR-10.

coopermania

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 20, 2011
    Indiana
    Yes, it can be done, but you will be better off in the long run with a bolt rifle. Mounting the scope on a M1-A is a PIA unless you have an LRB with internal scope bases. The screw type mount looks cool on the table at the gunshow, but rarely hold zero in the field. Also, they rarely align with the bore to give you necessary come-up for anything past 500-600 yards.

Good luck

Jerry

I tend to agree a bolt gun would be better, But since you have a M1A I would roll with that. I don't agree at all about the single screw side mounts being a pos. I bought my M1A in 82 and a side screw mount from S&K the year later,
    I have had that mount on and off that rifle and 2 other M14s at least 75 times and it has never been off more that 3/4" moa. I have fired. these rifles at 1000 yds many times with 168 grainers with no elevation issues. Might have issues with 175 or heavier bullets.

Ed, I will agree with you on the hight issue. When Ibought.mine that's all there was availble. :lol2:

Shoobedoo

US Army Veteran
    Jun 1, 2013
    Keyser WV
    Yes, it can be done, but you will be better off in the long run with a bolt rifle.

Agree.

A good rifle like the Savage 10FP in .308 won't set you back as much as you might think, and the money you save can be spent on a better stock (if desired) and optics.

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    I tend to agree a bolt gun would be better, But since you have a M1A I would roll with that. I don't agree at all about the single screw side mounts being a pos. I bought my M1A in 82 and a side screw mount from S&K the year later,
    I have had that mount on and off that rifle and 2 other M14s at least 75 times and it has never been off more that 3/4" moa. I have fired. these rifles at 1000 yds many times with 168 grainers with no elevation issues. Might have issues with 175 or heavier bullets.

Ed, I will agree with you on the hight issue. When Ibought.mine that's all there was availble. :lol2:

I had one of those early S&K mounts and it would return to zero, at least out to 200yds, which is the farthest range I tested it on. I did modify the ring spacing for greater eye relief and windage adjustable rings. It was much better than what they currently offer.

4095fanatic

Paramagic
    Dec 3, 2010
    Not my experience, but when I asked my brother something similar (he was a US Army Combat Infantryman and his squad's Designated Marksman), he essentially told me "The M14 is a 2 MOA gun, if you want to do accurate long range shooting outside of combat you can do a lot better." Granted the platform saw some changes (I believe the Army eventually got some versions M14 EBR to be sub-moa guns), but he suggested start with a solid bolt action platform designed for long range if I was trying to build a rifle that wasn't necessarily going to be humped through the mountains of Afghanistan.

coopermania

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 20, 2011
    Indiana
    The M25 your brother shot was capable of grouping under 1 MOA (under 10 ") at 1000 yards using M118LR ammunition Otherwise to the best of my knowledge it never would have left the armory.. And with handloads for that rifle it will do better than that. It is a designated Sniper Rifle, 2 moa is not a Sniper rifle.

Jerry M

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2007
    Glen Burnie MD
    The M25 your brother shot was capable of grouping under 1 MOA (under 10 ") at 1000 yards using M118LR ammunition Otherwise to the best of my knowledge it never would have left the armory.. And with handloads for that rifle it will do better than that. It is a designated Sniper Rifle, 2 moa is not a Sniper rifle.

X ring on a 1000 yard F-class target is 5 inches. 10 ring for F-class is 10 inches. The 1 MOA capability above was when the rifle was test by being shot in a cradle, not from a bench by a shooter.

Good luck

Jerry

coopermania

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 20, 2011
    Indiana
    X ring on a 1000 yard F-class target is 5 inches. 10 ring for F-class is 10 inches. The 1 MOA capability above was when the rifle was test by being shot in a cradle, not from a bench by a shooter.

Good luck

Jerry

Well Jerry, I am so glad you know the size of the X ring and the 10 ring in 1000 yard F Class.
    It has nothing to do with the accuracy of any firearm shot at it. Relying on a human or humans to determine if a firearm is accurate is silly and a waste of time and money. You will have different end results with every human that is holding that firearm. So accuracy tests tend to have the firearm held in place when testing.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

I really enjoy shooting my M1A at 200 yards and beyond.

This rifle started 'life' as a 'standard' and has been accurized to the point of being equal to a SuperMatch.

A Sadlak Ind. steel mount with Leupold MKIV rings hold the scope very securely. At the moment I have a Nikon Buckmasters 4.5-18x scope in place, and a Coyote M1A cheekpiece.

http://www.sadlak.com/si_rifle_parts_sm.html

https://www.coyotem1a.com/

The ONLY thing that I don't like about my M1A is the weight. It's only a couple of ounces shy of 15 lbs.

As I get older, to lug this thing around, I need a weapons bearer. :innocent0

Last edited:

corelokt

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 13, 2010
    parkville
    I bought the A.R.M.S. mount and never got it to hold. The side screw(small bolt) want catch when the mount is on, it's like it needs to be a little longer. I gave up and just shoot it with iron sights.

Dec 6, 2011
    I used both the M21 and M25 in the Army. I love the look of the old M14, but these fellows are right, a good bolt gun will almost always be a better bet. The best set up that I could muster was the M25 bedded in a McMillan M2A stock (the straight stock was better for recoil and cheekweld). The two point scope mounts like the Brookfield are your best bet.

The MidwayUSA Weaver Grand Slam Tactical 3-10 Mil/Mil is on sale until midnight for $269. It would keep the weight down and fill the role nicely.

Jerry M

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2007
    Glen Burnie MD
    Well Jerry, I am so glad you know the size of the X ring and the 10 ring in 1000 yard F Class.
    It has nothing to do with the accuracy of any firearm shot at it. Relying on a human or humans to determine if a firearm is accurate is silly and a waste of time and money. You will have different end results with every human that is holding that firearm. So accuracy tests tend to have the firearm held in place when testing.[/QUOTE

Accuracy of a rifle has limited usefulness if you need a 200 pound rack to shoot it from when bolt rifle shooters are shooting great scores with bolt rifles off of bi-pods. Please by all means shoot your M1-A. I have one, just don't consider it a replacement for my F-class rifle.

Good luck

Jerry

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lsmitty67

Latest threads

Top Bottom