• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    I am totally fixated lately on M16A1s and A2s. I don't have the patience to find all the parts and wait on Nodak for the receiver so I want to go ahead with the A2. I know DPMS makes a straight up no thrills A2, but do you guys know of anyone else? Im not opposed to Colt, BCM etc. I want a really basic M16A2 clone.

Now my next question which 37mm flare launcher would you go for, if looking for the absolute closest substitute for a 203 attached to an A2. I want even the hardware to be close so I'll be using the old hand guards they used with 203 setup M16s. Ive been looking at Spikes launchers but am curious about the other options. Im not familiar with how the M203s mounted in those days so I have my research cut out for me.

Target shooting and fun for this thing, nothing crazy.

Thanks!

Chris

This is exactly what I want:

cf348ec482c69e7a1086bd336b622216.jpg

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    Spikes launchers are well built but they weigh a ton.

Here's what you need.

http://www.ftfindustries.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=SFNT&Affiliate=mobile

Here's the proper handguard for what yer lookin' for.

http://www.lmtstore.com/m203/m203-s...hardware-kit-w-leaf-sight-assy-for-rifle.html

Thanks sling! The one I pulled up on your link it perfect but im confused. Says works on 20" non HBAR ARs with "pencil" barrels. Did the A2s have pencil barrels or are they meaning just no HBARs and M4 profiles?

Feb 28, 2013
    Thanks sling! The one I pulled up on your link it perfect but im confused. Says works on 20" non HBAR ARs with "pencil" barrels. Did the A2s have pencil barrels or are they meaning just no HBARs and M4 profiles?

Well, out on your neck o' the woods y'all don't have the HBAR problem. ;)

If'n I ain't mistaken the ones the mount in the traditional M203 style need pencil barrels to mount on so the front hanger will fit around it, like the way they fit in the notch on an M4 profile barrel. For an HBAR barrel you'd have to slide yer launcher on a pic rail and near as I can see that AIN't what you're lookin' for.

Feb 28, 2013
    Isnt that just for M4s? I thought for the M16 they attach on the delta ring and the handguard?

On my Bushy M4gery my launcher hangs on the barrel nut and in the notch. Mounting hardware doesn't contact the handguard.

In any case, something still has to support the front end of it, which is of course the barrel.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Why not just shell out the coin and get an older Colt HBAR? They are out there, price isn't that bad.

I think Delton, RRA and possibly model 1 still offer A2 guns. My Delton has been great, a little warry of Model 1

https://www.model1sales.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=340

Frankly, I'm probably just going to buy a A2 upper from CDNN and put one together.

I wish this wasn't MD because there is a nice A1 that keeps getting posted on Armslist. Personally, I think its a trap because I don't see how it could be transferred, which is a shame. (pencil barrel).

Feb 28, 2013
    I wish this wasn't MD because there is a nice A1 that keeps getting posted on Armslist. Personally, I think its a trap because I don't see how it could be transferred, which is a shame. (pencil barrel).
    It's doable, but it would have to be without the upper. You could just take possession of that separately, and replace the barrel.

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    Why not just shell out the coin and get an older Colt HBAR? They are out there, price isn't that bad.

I think Delton, RRA and possibly model 1 still offer A2 guns. My Delton has been great, a little warry of Model 1

https://www.model1sales.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=340

Frankly, I'm probably just going to buy a A2 upper from CDNN and put one together.

Ive had a Colt HBAR, loved it but traded it for something else. I'm going non-HBAR on this one. As close to issued as possible.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Ive had a Colt HBAR, loved it but traded it for something else. I'm going non-HBAR on this one. As close to issued as possible.

I can understand, the HBAR guns are nose heavy. Ive almost parted with my J&T A2 (first AR) a few times as its a little unwieldy.

There is something to be said for a light or pencil barrel in 20". I suspect you may end up building it, really not that big of a deal, A2 uppers can be had, barrels are not in short supply, triangular furniture is available though Ive never seen it with those vent holes in the side.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    1:12 is what it is . Look at the % of 55gr fired through all those 1:9 and 1:7 twist bbls. My vintage 1:12 Colt handles 62gr lead core, just not the actual M855. (Fires M855 safely, just tumbles.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    cfreeman818

Latest threads

Top Bottom