• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • theBIGone2087

Point-of-Aim Productions
    Aug 15, 2010
    Laurel, MD
    So I have a nice M1 Garand that I had re-barreled (Fulton Armory did the work), my hand loads that I used (150gr FMJBT and 168-Gr AMAX) dont shoot the way they did so I am starting from scratch.

I will most likely go back and use the 150gr Hornady's and get some Speer's as well... my question is has anyone cooked up a nice 'old school' M1 Ball round, using a 173gr projectile? The idea is intriguing.

paxfish

Ultimate Member
    Nov 11, 2008
    Culvert & Points West
    I've been using 46.0 gr 4895 behind a 168 HPBT - The same load my Dad used in this rifle 40 years ago.

Just enough to run the action, not enough to punish you, and very accurate.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    I use a 168 gr HPBT bullet. That has been used in matches for years. It is suggested because of the potential to bend the operating rod to keep the powder around 4895, That is what I do. Some people used a faster burning powder like 3031 but I do not except in my Bolt action rifles. Here is some suggested load data from the NRA.
    http://web.archive.org/web/20000620055732/home.att.net/~Masterpo/M1load.htm

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!

This is exactly what I was trying to find, for Mdeng!!!

THANK YOU!!!!!!!! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

OP: I worked up a load for a DCM rifle many years ago, using Sierra 168 gr MatchKing boolits, LC (69 and 72) cases and W-748.
    47.7 grains of 748 produced some really good groups at 100 yards.
    This is a little-known load, and is easy on the oprod and your shoulder.

This load doesn't shoot worth a crap out of my DCM M1 Garand w/ Marlin barrel. (That Marlin barrel is a correct replacement barrel, btw.)

theBIGone2087

Point-of-Aim Productions
    Aug 15, 2010
    Laurel, MD
    OP: I worked up a load for a DCM rifle many years ago, using Sierra 168 gr MatchKing boolits, LC (69 and 72) cases and W-748.
    47.7 grains of 748 produced some really good groups at 100 yards.
    This is a little-known load, and is easy on the oprod and your shoulder.

This load doesn't shoot worth a crap out of my DCM M1 Garand w/ Marlin barrel. (That Marlin barrel is a correct replacement barrel, btw.)

W-748 is the same powder I used behind my 168gr Amax and LOVED IT. Not so much any more :-(

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    W-748 is the same powder I used behind my 168gr Amax and LOVED IT. Not so much any more :-(

The difference in performance COULD be the boolit.

Instead of those Hornady A-Max boolits, try the Sierra MatchKing 168s.

I haven't messed with my Garand in a lonnnnnnnnng time.
    I've got a couple of cans of M2 Ball, and haven't really worked up a load using 168s.

molonlabe

Ultimate Member
    May 7, 2005
    Mountaineer Country, WV
    You should always keep a copy of this on the wall of your reloading bench.
    http://www.hodgdon.com/PDF/Burn Rates_121211.pdf
    I would also suggest getting a chronograph they can be had for 99 bucks from midway. I use it when I work my loads then I put it away. By knowing the fps you can very easily calculate the drop at different ranges. For matches I weigh each round and use a powder trickler to bring the scale to the right weight. That is only part of what has to be done when making match loads.

Last edited:

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    Check out 155 nosler custom comps over 46-48 of 4895 or varget. Great round.

If you don't have any 155s or never tried them, I have some I could part with if you want to try some out. I believe I have 2 100 packs I could part with.

I also have some 168 custom comps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ramseye

Latest threads

Top Bottom