• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rmbstyle17

Dec 31, 2008
    Millersville
    I just got an M1 Garand from my father that dates back to WWII from the cerial numbers. I tried loading it with a clip of 30-06 Springfield, and realized it is too big, and wont fit. I know some M1's are cambered for .308, so I loaded the clip with that, and it still wont fit. Im not sure if something is wrong with the bolt/chamber, cause it dosent feel like its going back all the way. I not very familiar with the M1 Garand, so I dont know.
    PICS:
    005.jpg

004.jpg

003.jpg

001.jpg

Thanks!

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    Yup, it's got another inch to go.

Take the heel of your hand, slam it home. PULL back hard on the bolt, it will and should go.....otherwise you might have a bent op rod or broken spring but I doubt it.

Until you learn something about the M1 Garand, DON'T go sticking your finger, thumb, or any other body part in the action unless you want to loose a piece of that particular body part. Always hold the charging handle securely to the rear with one hand while attempting to do anything with the other hand in the area of bolt travel.

gdubyacobb

Mar 6, 2009
    Patagonia Arizona
    As previously stated, the bolt isn't all the way back.
    Do some reading about the M1. That action will break a finger before you know it. Also, commercial 30.06 is a no no ( for the most part. but you'll learn that as you go)

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    Until you learn something about the M1 Garand, DON'T go sticking your finger, thumb, or any other body part in the action unless you want to loose a piece of that particular body part. Always hold the charging handle securely to the rear with one hand while attempting to do anything with the other hand in the area of bolt travel.

Yes, as I was taught in boot camp 100 years ago........"The M1 Thumb". :) Never got it but the instructor scared the shit out of us with the possibility.
    NOW you made me look, they have everything on youtube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zANFR_AwAA8

kalister1

R.I.P.
    May 16, 2008
    Pasadena Maryland
    You will need to get someone to show you or get a good book or video. There is a part inside that can be put back together wrong, and doing it wrong causes what you have right now. I know, I did wrong a few times.
    Don't try to force anything, it needs to be field stripped and put back together correctly.

ProShooter

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2008
    Richmond, Va
    I just got an M1 Garand from my father...

I tried loading it with a clip of 30-06 Springfield

I know some M1's are cambered for .308, so I loaded the clip with that...

I not very familiar with the M1 Garand, so I dont know.

Your last statement that I highlighted above is the true problem here. If you don't know how a firearm operates, you shouldn't be handling it, period. You ESPECIALLY should not be handling it with live ammo if you don't know how it operates.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    Your last statement that I highlighted above is the true problem here. If you don't know how a firearm operates, you shouldn't be handling it, period. You ESPECIALLY should not be handling it with live ammo if you don't know how it operates.

Thank you for stating the obvious!

+1 for the responses about no live ammo if you don't know the rifle.

Here's what it's supposed to look like when loading your Garand. Also, I agree with keeping your fingers out of the chamber area. If the bolt slams on a thumb or finger it'll bring tears to your eyes. Good luck with your Garand.

Attachments

• g1.jpg
      g1.jpg
      92.1 KB · Views: 200
    • g2.jpg
      g2.jpg
      72.7 KB · Views: 201

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    +1 for the responses about no live ammo if you don't know the rifle.

Here's what it's supposed to look like when loading your Garand. Also, I agree with keeping your fingers out of the chamber area. If the bolt slams on a thumb or finger it'll bring tears to your eyes. Good luck with your Garand.

Just curious, are they factory loads with the SP ammo or handloads? Modern factory ammunition will contain powder that burns too slowly and you may damage your operating rod or worse. Military ball or handloads with faster powder will serve you better........

kalister1

R.I.P.
    May 16, 2008
    Pasadena Maryland
    Look closely at these two pictures. Can you see what is wrong?
    The "Ammo Follower" ? is in backwards.
    Try to get together with somoene who knows the M1 Garand rifle to get it back together correctly.

Attachments

• g1.jpg
      g1.jpg
      92.1 KB · Views: 199
    • G2.jpg
      G2.jpg
      65.5 KB · Views: 197

Drew1340

Nov 30, 2010
    AA county
    someone stated that you shouldnt use commercial ammo in the garand? why is this? hotter load or what? i figured 150 gr 30-06 is the same if not better now then the old surplus...
    I see someone has stated it can damage the op rod, why is this and as a person who doesnt reload or really shop for old military ball ammo that has corrosive issues, is there a way to shoot factory ammo as long as the gun is cleaned well or am i just out of luck?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lloyd_Hansen

Latest threads

Top Bottom