• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shooter88

Aug 21, 2013
    Hello all. I have a 10 round Pro Mag magazine for my M1 Carbine, but it does not feed very well...at least I hope its just the magazine. Does anyone have any experience with this brand? In the meantime I'm going to check out Midway and see what they carry.

Shooter88

Aug 21, 2013
    Well I tried 3 different magazines at the range last weekend. It failed to feed almost every round out of each magazine. I do not think the bolt is closing fast enough which makes me think its a worn recoil spring. I think that is what I will try next.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    This little video I did a couple of years ago May or May Not help you

If real USGI mags don't fit you should fix the gun and not every mag. Something is wrong. Of course the aftermarket repos may have to be adjusted but only after you verify USGI mags fit correctly.

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    I can fix your magazine issues. Take that Pro Mag and lay flat perpendicular on the table. Measure the feed lips woth a micrometer first loaded and unloaded. After its unloaded, light the piece of paper you wrote the measurements down on on fire. Take large hammer and smash unloaded magazine.

Buy some USGI magazines and make sure they seat and lock the bolt back. Some older USGI guns had a revised magazine catch for use with extended magazines for FA fire.
    Use quality ammo and enjoy rifle with USGI magazines.

nmyers

Jul 9, 2016
    It's best to stick to USGI 15 rd mags. Yes, 30 rd USGI mags usually work well, but they are made of Unobtainium. I have a couple of Seymour Products 30 rd mags (marked SEY), but they are extremely difficult to find today.

Neal

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    I have bought some of the Korean 15 round mags, and they work fine.

Korea kept a bunch of our (USA's) M1 carbines and likely patterned them after USGI mags and needed them to work due to constant threats so they're good stuff.

But I have yet to see a reliable Pro-Mag product line (not just the anecdotal mine works fine after adjusting the feed lips and replacing all the parts)

I think Korea is where Keepshooting sourced their mags from but not 100%.

obiii

Jun 2, 2010
    Allegany County, MD
    Check out the forums.thecmp.org/index.php
    They sell mags for the M1 Carbine all the time, some at affordable prices. I just picked up 3 15 round Korean mags for $28.00 including shipping.
    Good luck.
    OB

Yingpin

Ultimate Member
    May 31, 2013
    Kingsville, MD
    I picked about 15 or 20 up years ago from a member of the CMP. They were USGI packed in grease. I cleaned them and boxed them but only pulled out 3 for my carbine.

I don't remember what I paid for them and do not know what they go for today.

Bolts Rock

Living in Free America!
    Apr 8, 2012
    Northern Alabama
    It's best to stick to USGI 15 rd mags. Yes, 30 rd USGI mags usually work well, but they are made of Unobtainium. I have a couple of Seymour Products 30 rd mags (marked SEY), but they are extremely difficult to find today.

Neal

30 round USGI are very common at shows down here.

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    If the distance from the nubs to the feed lips is too short, it will not feed reliably. If too long, the mag won't seat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom