• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dan8480

Gun Addict
    Feb 23, 2008
    Adams County
    I bought one about 6 months ago, and I finally got it out to the range. I wasn't shooting it very well, just couldn't get it on target. Welp, The front sight isn't centered in the dovetail. Should I send it back to S&W and deal with the shipping and all, or just take it to someone local to fix it? Or maybe just get someone to put a set of night sights on it, since I was planning on doing that anyways at some point? Who makes the best night sights now?

Gmercury2000

Ultimate Member
    Feb 26, 2013
    Gambrills
    I don't have a lot of expirence w/ night sights but my sig has the trjicon ( forgive me if I spelled that wrong ) but their great. I would just have the sights installed and not worry about sending it back. Seeing you already plan on getting new sights.

hdatontodo

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2012
    So. Central Balto Co
    I bet someone here has a sight pusher.

Or, do you have a wooden dowel and a rubber mallet?

SightFrontOff_zpsf09b385c.jpg

Sent from my Samsung Phone using Tapatalk

Dec 6, 2011
    Get the night sights installed at a local shop and call it done. Trij and Meprolight are the top choices. I prefer Meps as the white outline is more distinct and is covered by the glass lens. Trij is also excellent, but if the gun sees hard use, eventually the white ring will wash out with solvent or get packed with grease/crud.

Fifteen minutes after you walk in, you'll walk out happy and ready to go.

rouchna

Defund the ATF
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 25, 2009
    Virginia
    I'm not local, but it have the Ameriglos on my shield. The tritium is actually by trijicon.
    I would just put night sights on. Your white dots on the stock sights will eventually pop out after a few range trips.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    I'm not local, but it have the Ameriglos on my shield. The tritium is actually by trijicon.
    I would just put night sights on. Your white dots on the stock sights will eventually pop out after a few range trips.

QFT.

I was there for that instance. Went from 3-dot to 1-dot in less than 4 magazines.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Hahaha!!! Yep, that quickly.

When the first one went flying, I actually tracked it as the slide was coming back. The second one, just made me chuckle to myself.

To be fair though, IIRC, you bought that one used - so they may have just decided to give up the ghost at that time.

rouchna

Defund the ATF
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 25, 2009
    Virginia
    When the first one went flying, I actually tracked it as the slide was coming back. The second one, just made me chuckle to myself.

To be fair though, IIRC, you bought that one used - so they may have just decided to give up the ghost at that time.

You recall correctly, I did buy it used. However, I've never had that happen with any other handgun I've owned. After going on the S&W forums, I found out that it is not an uncommon occurrence with the shield. Oh well, gave me an excuse to buy some night sights :D

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    I think the standard 3-dot on the full-size/compacts are secured a little better.

Swapped mine out for truglo tfo's, best decision yet. The .45's front sight had to be touched up a few times to be visible, the gasses/debris would build up in there and pretty much make it invisible.

No longer a problem now. ;)

dan8480

Gun Addict
    Feb 23, 2008
    Adams County
    I have the tfo's on my xd, but I wanted to try something different. I was hoping for something a little brighter at night. My buddy had a Trijicon set on his, and it seemed quite a bit brighter. The ameriglos use the Trijicon lamp, so it should be close. I would like to see a few different types to compare. Someone has to have a few different mfgrs to look at?

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Let the shield break in a few hundred rounds first. Mine(9mm) began shooting high left and I was pissed. It started to tame itself a little now and I can live with it, since it's only a self defense gun and easily makes lethal 7-10 yard shots.

The thing with the Shield is that the FRONT sight is the one that is moved to adjust the sights, not the rear. That little screw in the rear sight is for removal only.

IF this is your only pistol and want it for precise shooting at the range, then get some new sights installed on it. I don't think sending it back and have them do "whatever" will resolve the issue.

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    The meprolight "trudots" are brighter than the trijicons, and as stated above have a cover over them to keep them clean. Guaranteed for 12 years. LGS GS put them on for me @$99. Sig factory service now installs meprolight trudots not the trijicons as may have been the case before. I now have them on 3 different pistols, and eventually will put them on a 4th. They are great in both daylight and darkened conditions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    loops12

Latest threads

Top Bottom