• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Evojoeix

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2014
    Put another 150 rounds through my new M&P 40 vtac today at freestate. Today I noticed something....

Sometimes when I put my magazine in and the slide is back, the slide will automatically slide forward so the gun can be fired right away. It only did this a couple times though. It doesn't always do it and in the first 300 rounds I shot, it never did it

I'm putting the mags in with the same force each time, so it's not like I'm doing anything different. It just randomly does it. Why is this? Is it normal?

Hambone

May 30, 2013
    Baltimore
    My M&P 9mm that I bought in December does the same thing every time I insert a loaded magazine. It has all along, I do not know if its normal.

Evojoeix

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2014
    I did a quick google search and some people say theirs do it and some don't....

I just don't understand why mine only did it a couple times and it's not consistent

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    It's common.

My M&P .45 and .357 SIG would do the same if I slammed a mag home, usually a full mag, but could do it with half a mag as well.

Glocks do it too. HK USP too - but if you get it wrong you break the base of the magazine ($60+ magazine).

I actually enjoy that quirk, for me it's quicker than sling-shotting or trying to trip a slide lock when on timed events.

Last edited:

Keystone70

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 14, 2012
    HoCo
    I have a fs and comp MP 9. They both do it almost all the time . Full mag and insert with force. Really helps during reloads in IDPA matches.

Evojoeix

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2014
    Maybe it's not consistent because I only put 10 rounds in a mag when I'm shooting targets for practice

Next time I go out, I'll fully load the mags and see if it does it every time for me

Keystone70

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 14, 2012
    HoCo
    Maybe it's not consistent because I only put 10 rounds in a mag when I'm shooting targets for practice

Next time I go out, I'll fully load the mags and see if it does it every time for me

That does make a difference; Although, in IDPA limited to 10 rounds in a mag and mine still works great. Practice with the forcefull insert. Don't just flip it in. Push it hard and don't leave go until after you shove it all the way in one strong push.

5cary

On the spreading edge of the butter knife.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2007
    Sykesville, MD
    It's very common. I have 3 M&Ps, including a compact and full size .40. They all do it.

I actually *hate* it. It creates a training "scar" for me. I've spent years manipulating the slide on reloads. Now I get the "auto forward" 98% of the time, and that 2% messes with me because now I expect it.

OrbitalEllipses

Ultimate Member
    Jul 18, 2013
    DPR of MoCo
    Happens to my M&P 40 if you slam the mag in. As someone mentioned, this is a 'feature' and I've heard of other manufacturers changing the geometry of their slide release to either accommodate or get rid of this 'feature'.

aaron.foulk

Feb 16, 2013
    Yep, mind does it, too. It is common. When it is inconsistent, it's a blessing and a curse if you're shooting IDPA. Mine does it most of the time, but when it doesn't work out, I wind up looking stupid and losing time. I'd rather it not do it at all and be consistently fast with a 100% reliable method.

itsslow98

Ultimate Member
    Nov 8, 2010
    Harford County, MD
    That does make a difference; Although, in IDPA limited to 10 rounds in a mag and mine still works great. Practice with the forcefull insert. Don't just flip it in. Push it hard and don't leave go until after you shove it all the way in one strong push.

That's what she said :thumbsup:

Sorry, I couldn't exit the page without saying it.

BerettaMan

Mar 27, 2011
    Harford county
    I believe it's pretty common on polymer frame guns. I saw a vid on it a while back. Can't remember where. If the slide release isn't fully seated, slamming a mag in allows the frame to flex just enough to release the slide. Happens to me once in a while with my xdm. Nothing to worry about. You can do it with a Beretta 92 as well.

R81

Jun 30, 2006
    In my opinion, it a design flaw. (even though some people like it)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom