• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teqmod

redneck gun toting member
    Jan 14, 2013
    Downey Oshunn
    I am looking at picking up a M&P 9 with the wear and carry kit. Unfortunately with MD laws I am going to have to look out of state because I don't want to buy one with a bunch of limited magazines. I would like to buy in state but thanks 281. The question I have is there are multiple versions with different safeties etc. Are there any restrictions as to which models are and aren't allowed? Plan is to buy in VA or PA, carry the magazines home and ship the gun to a local FFL

ADR

Ultimate Member
    Aug 17, 2011
    Why not buy the pistol in Maryland and then buy the magazines out of state so you don't have to pay the shipping & transfer fees?

Doobie

Ultimate Member
    Jan 23, 2013
    Earth
    I am looking at picking up a M&P 9 with the wear and carry kit. Unfortunately with MD laws I am going to have to look out of state because I don't want to buy one with a bunch of limited magazines. I would like to buy in state but thanks 281. The question I have is there are multiple versions with different safeties etc. Are there any restrictions as to which models are and aren't allowed? Plan is to buy in VA or PA, carry the magazines home and ship the gun to a local FFL

There are several different versions:
    Thumb safety with magazine disconnect, w/o mag disconnect
    No thumb safety with or w/o mag disconnect
    There are variations of the above with and without internal locks as well. One thing to make sure of...there are several "State" variations. What I mean by that is there is a Massachusetts compliant one...it has a10lb trigger. I first discovered this while looking at an M&P at a local gun shop a few years ago. I have fired a few thousand rounds through an M&P 40 (training and qualifying for my job) and the first thing I noticed while dry firing the M&P at the shop was how heavy the trigger felt. I got the sku# off of the box, looked it up on Smith & Wesson's website and discovered that models that are compliant to certain states have heavier trigger pulls.

teqmod

Jan 14, 2013
    Downey Oshunn
    Why not buy the pistol in Maryland and then buy the magazines out of state so you don't have to pay the shipping & transfer fees?

Thought about this originally. A quick search on factory mags puts the price at 40 each. The package price is roughly 60-80 more from what I have seen. Most FFLs charge transfer fees regardless as I recall so the main difference would be shipping. The kit also comes with the factory case, basic holster and mag holder. This will also be Used by my wife and having a case to keep it all together for her would be a plus.

teqmod

Jan 14, 2013
    Downey Oshunn
    There are several different versions:
    Thumb safety with magazine disconnect, w/o mag disconnect
    No thumb safety with or w/o mag disconnect
    There are variations of the above with and without internal locks as well. One thing to make sure of...there are several "State" variations. What I mean by that is there is a Massachusetts compliant one...it has a10lb trigger. I first discovered this while looking at an M&P at a local gun shop a few years ago. I have fired a few thousand rounds through an M&P 40 (training and qualifying for my job) and the first thing I noticed while dry firing the M&P at the shop was how heavy the trigger felt. I got the sku# off of the box, looked it up on Smith & Wesson's website and discovered that models that are compliant to certain states have heavier trigger pulls.
    I have seen the multiple versions and that was my question. Outside of the standard capacity magazines is there any version of the m&p that is not allowed in MD?

JamesH

That Guy
    Oct 11, 2014
    Laurel, MD
    Most FFLs charge transfer fees regardless as I recall so the main difference would be shipping.

Check with some of our IPs on the forum. If you buy direct from the inventory of a MD FFL, you shouldn't be paying a transfer fee. If your FFL charges a transfer fee for product in stock, it's time to find a new FFL.

aaronn

Aug 8, 2013
    Baltimore
    I bought mine through Gary at High Rock Outfitters in Hanover. He shipped the firearm to my FFL but held the magazines for me to pick up. It was a very easy transaction.

teqmod

Jan 14, 2013
    Downey Oshunn
    I bought mine through Gary at High Rock Outfitters in Hanover. He shipped the firearm to my FFL but held the magazines for me to pick up. It was a very easy transaction.
    This is a shop I plan to check out. I know they are an IP here and from what I have seen people have had good experiences with them.

Claybreaker 2

Aug 25, 2013
    Frederick County
    I have had good experiences with Hill Top Arms, an IP in Waynesboro, PA. They rarely post here so I think they are often forgotten. If you are set on purchasing out of state and transferring in Hill Top or High Rock would appear to be reasonably close or even consider Precision Firearms in Martinsburg.

IgotAgun

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 20, 2015
    Quantico Tactical in Woodbridge has 1000's of M&P 9 magazines for $30. I think they give you a small discount if you buy three.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom