M&P 15 22 - Ordered Mine Yesterday $395, few questions....

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • derrickonline

Sep 22, 2008
    All, it's been a while, but I just added another gun to my collection. A Smith & Wesson M&P 15 22. For $395 from East Coast Guns in PA.

http://eastcoastgunsales.com/product.php?ID=105953

Be sure to get the MD complaint version. They had at least one MD complaint version in stock that I purchased. Not sure if they have more MD complaint ones. I believe the difference is the magazine (MD 10) most other places (20rds). And threaded barrel vs non-threaded.

I also bought a sight $32 it had great reviews and I'm not expert on sights so I surely wasn't planning to spend $500 for a sight for something I can only play with at the range.

http://www.amazon.com/Sightmark™-Multi-reticle-Reflex-Sight/dp/B000W4BQ7K

And I went ahead and bought a cabinet. Not a safe but just something to keep my 3 year old from getting to the goods. I keep my hand guns in a lockable steel case but this will hold my guns + M&P. $100 good reviews again it's just to lock them away, it's not a safe.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Stack-On-8-Gun-Security-Cabinet/11071333

Got a few questions.

1. Is it true that a fired shell casing isn't required for this gun? The FFL in MD told me it's not required for this one.

2. What is a threaded barrel? Is that just to put a silencer on? Seems like every time I read online, someone put a suppressor (I assume that's a silencer) on this thing, but what's the point?

3. I guess there are no kits for this since it's not a real AR-15?

4. I've read on these forums about Elk Neck State park for $10, but you have to bring your own targets? It mentioned something about building targets? I guess that means paper targets won't cut it? Or are there better/more fun things I should be looking at?

5. Is it illegal for me to get a larger magazine for the range? Or is it a situation where I can have a larger than 10rd magazine but it can't be shipped TO MD, but I can pick it up somewhere or have it shipped somewhere (like to a family member in VA) then pick it up and USE IT in MD at the range?

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    Fired shell casings are only required for new handguns sold within the state of Maryland.

derrickonline

Sep 22, 2008
    Will post pics once it arrives. Thanks for the info half-cocked. Five Point, I realize it's regulated but what does that really mean to me? Is it just that there's a wait once my FFL receives it? He said it would be about 2 weeks once he receives it or is there more to know when it comes to owning a regulated firearm?

ezeerider

Mount Airy, Marylandistan
    Feb 10, 2009
    Mount Airy, Md.
    Website says they won't ship this gun to Md.

This item cannot be shipped to the following states: DC,HI,IL,MA,MD,NJ,NY. Please call for more information.

donliv

Oct 25, 2008
    Bel Air
    4. I've read on these forums about Elk Neck State park for $10, but you have to bring your own targets? It mentioned something about building targets? I guess that means paper targets won't cut it? Or are there better/more fun things I should be looking at?

You must have a free standing target stand to attach your paper targets to. They must be 48" to the center of the target to keep shots from ricocheting into the baffles and ensure they hit the berm. It is very cheap and easy to make a stand that fit their requirements and for the price ($50/year pass) its a good bargain.

MauiWowie

I have the SIGness...
    Nov 23, 2008
    Harford Co.
    Got a few questions.

1. Is it true that a fired shell casing isn't required for this gun? The FFL in MD told me it's not required for this one.

YES no shell needed

2. What is a threaded barrel? Is that just to put a silencer on? Seems like every time I read online, someone put a suppressor (I assume that's a silencer) on this thing, but what's the point?

Suppressed weapons are alot of fun to shoot I have a threaded barrel and when I get funds a 22LR can is the first on the list... What's the point of a 22LR AR15 besides fun?

3. I guess there are no kits for this since it's not a real AR-15?

Not sure how to answer but I've heard that the S&W will fit most AR15 parts

See DONLIV post

5. Is it illegal for me to get a larger magazine for the range? Or is it a situation where I can have a larger than 10rd magazine but it can't be shipped TO MD, but I can pick it up somewhere or have it shipped somewhere (like to a family member in VA) then pick it up and USE IT in MD at the range?

You can have up to 20 rounds but S&W only makes a 10 and a 25 rounder so unless you can go across state and buy them or pick them up then you are SOL. No shipping of mags greater than 20 rounds into our out of MD

:)

Sinjin

Jan 21, 2009
    Just an FYI, mine was cash and carry, as well.

I don't believe it's truly regulated.

derrickonline

Sep 22, 2008
    Thanks for the info guys. Can't wait to get it.

Eezrider: You need to ask them for the MD compliant version which is 10rd mag, same price

balttigger

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2008
    Middle River, MD
    according to COMAR: "Regulated firearms" has the meaning stated in Public Safety Article, §5-101(p), Annotated Code of Maryland. "Regulated firearm" means:(1) a handgun; or (2) a firearm that is any of the following specific assault weapons or their copies, regardless of which company produced and manufactured that assault weapon:

Ergo, S&W M&P15-22s are by definition by the State of Maryland and supported by the State Police Firearms Division, a regulated firearm and any dealer selling OTC is in violation. Is it a stupid law? We all know it is, but regardless.....

balttigger

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2008
    Middle River, MD
    That being said: Here's MINE!:party29:

30052_1448130572093_1498058837_31182761_6704801_n.jpg

aquaman

Ultimate Member
    Sep 21, 2008
    Belcamp, MD
    At the York show there was a dealer selling MD&NJ compliant models cash and carry. The guys at Just Guns told me that the whole issue over .22 look alikes only came up because some dealer (who they said was a jackass) asked the MSP how to treat them. I don't think they are regulated but they say they do it just to be safe. Hell, even in California these are legal because they are rimfire not centerfire and the AWB stuff does not apply.

balttigger

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2008
    Middle River, MD
    I don't think they are regulated but they say they do it just to be safe. Hell, even in California these are legal because they are rimfire not centerfire and the AWB stuff does not apply.

Again, according to the people the enforce the laws, they are considered copies of an AR-15 and therefore regulated. You can argue semantics all you want, but when it comes down to it, the sale is not legal because the MD law does not specify out rimfires like CA does.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom