• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MikeLee

Jan 23, 2015
    MSP has ruled that Norinco m1as aren't banned because key parts aren't interchangeable.
    This will have MANY parts that are not interchangeable. For example, the whole upper receiver, since AK's don't have upper receivers. My guess, from what little I know about Maryland? No problem. (note the word "guess" in this comment)

MikeLee

Jan 23, 2015
    But it looks scary! And you might be able to put a shoulder thingie that goes up on it, it must be banned, it's for the children!

:shocked4:
    Yeah, I checked the specs... "upward shoulder thingies" are not specified... not even an option, so far as I can see. ;)

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    M+M is making state-specific packages for every market. I don't know the Maryland laws, myself, but if the rifle CAN be made legal for Maryland, they are doing what they can to get it in.

I believe it, label says CA legal, so logical that they would 'work with' other states to get them in, in whatever configuration is legal.

There's something about the look of that thing, it's like part AR, part AK and part Sig. It's like my left brain says that shouldn't work, then my right says, oh, yeah, it will work... :)

MSP has ruled that Norinco m1as aren't banned because key parts aren't interchangeable.

What? How did I miss this?

That's because the M1A is banned by name, so something that is not interchangeable with an M1A is not an M1A clone. If you made a giant scaled up M1A/M14 clone in .50 BMG for example, it would be legal just like the Polytech M14S because parts do not interchange with an M1A....

Need to tell my buddies who regret not picking up an M1A before the ban.

Yeah, I checked the specs... "upward shoulder thingies" are not specified... not even an option, so far as I can see. ;)

Up to 5 posts... all of them good so far. :thumbsup:

mtel

Ultimate Member
    Dec 21, 2012
    Virginia
    I don't like the stock adapter much. Need more info but I kind of like it. Don't know if it's more than a range toy but I like the concept.

I know people get tired of AR influences on an AK but an upper helps solves obvious problems.

Can get a closer look at 13:48 here.

image.php

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    Is this gun not banned? If so, cool.

Not banned to buy in MD, but banned from being imported to the US since it's Chinese.

If you look around, you should be able to find a used Chinese M14 for under $1k. There are a few on Gunbroker, but the prices are ridiculous.

What you can't do though, is modify it to take USGI parts, as was commonly done. Then, you'd be turning it into a clone of a banned firearm. You also can't buy one that has been modified such.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Not banned to buy in MD, but banned from being imported to the US since it's Chinese.

If you look around, you should be able to find a used Chinese M14 for under $1k. There are a few on Gunbroker, but the prices are ridiculous.

What you can't do though, is modify it to take USGI parts, as was commonly done. Then, you'd be turning it into a clone of a banned firearm. You also can't buy one that has been modified such.

Thanks!

Just discussed with Seth at 2A Sales and Supply (great gun shop!)

Scott7891

Love those Combloc guns
    Sep 4, 2007
    Back in MD sadly
    I don't like the stock adapter much. Need more info but I kind of like it. Don't know if it's more than a range toy but I like the concept.

I know people get tired of AR influences on an AK but an upper helps solves obvious problems.

Can get a closer look at 13:48 here.

image.php

Well it says in the press release they are coming out with two models, a standard and elite. If and that is a big if I were to get one of these I would get the elite simply because they use forging for their components whereas the standard one is cast, everywhere, including the bolt carrier and possibly other critical components. No thank you I will stick with the proven forged method.

1time

Ultimate Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Baltimore, Md
    I disagree.

The law says "Avtomat Kalashnikov rifle in any format" meaning it has to use AK parts since the law itself says "specific" models. That means the parts would have to interchange with an AK. No parts on this gun will work with an AK "in any format" except mags which doesn't count as a feature to make it banned.

Plus you have to take the law into account when it was made. Nothing like this existed 21 years ago.

The bushmaster semi auto rifle is a bull pup with nothing in common with the AR pattern rifles they make today. That didn't stop MSP from banning a bushmaster ar.

Feb 28, 2013
    The bushmaster semi auto rifle is a bull pup with nothing in common with the AR pattern rifles they make today. That didn't stop MSP from banning a bushmaster ar.

I think that is because of it's wording in the list, so next time some idiot goes off his rocker with a Bushy AR the MSP can't be sued for allowing their sale.

Problem is, that logic or lack thereof could be applied to anything bearing the name, even if the name refers to a "model" like with the originals, in addition to a "make" as with the AR pattern rifle maker.

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    On the PAFOA site, it says there is a regular and CA version. What is the difference? 10 Round mag, or does the CA one also have a bullet button? I can live with a 10rd mag, not another button. The bore is nitrided, not chromed?

yup- and believe me that us a good thing

a well done nitrided barrel blows the crap out of a well done chromed barrel

depth of nitriding depending on alloy used can be up to 4 times thicker than chrome, and of equivalent hardness.

4140 and 4150 take to it extremely well with deep case depths of about 60 and 62 HRC hatdness respectively.

Where chrome tends to disappear quickly from the leade of most barrel throats I fire steel cased ammo from, generally the nitrided bores wear much better, with corners rounding on the 'step' in the throat, and tiny tiny pinpricks appearing after prolonged firing instead of complete erosion, keeping geometry the same.

Nitriding is the future

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Thing is, this doesn't use an AK action. The recoil spring is on the piston, ala the Sig 55X. That is a VERY significant change, and I think it's enough to let this gun slip through.

MikeLee

Jan 23, 2015
    Thing is, this doesn't use an AK action. The recoil spring is on the piston, ala the Sig 55X. That is a VERY significant change, and I think it's enough to let this gun slip through.

That's true, and it's not the only difference between this rifle and an orthodox, 1950's AK design. I would argue that, significant as the recoil spring design is, it's not even the MOST significant improvement (I would venture to say the integrated rails in the upper receiver would catch that distinction.)

I can say that I haven't heard anyone at the factory talking about states they WON'T be shipping to, so my guess is that they expect to get it in. I'll post after I have a chance to corner one of the top dogs and ask about this, see what their thinking is.

(and, btw, the CEO and chief engineer told me that spring design is part of what gives this rifle much improved accuracy over the old 4 MOA AK designs.)

MikeLee

Jan 23, 2015
    Not much new in this article but it does state it's long stroke.

http://www.outdoorhub.com/news/2015/01/26/mm-inc-rethinks-kalashnikov-m10x/

MikeLee, I know this isn't what you do but...any chance you could post a pic of the BCG?

I would have to go through channels, taking a photo, getting the photo approved, and then getting the forum approved as a place to post a photo... all of which will change in the next very short period between testing production rifles and publishing the results of the testing... in short, there will be plenty of photos posted on various sites before I could get the approvals necessary to post here myself. Sorry.

MikeLee

Jan 23, 2015
    Really did figure as much. Thought it couldn't hurt to ask, thanks anyway. :)

BCG= bolt carrier group, yes?
    Here you go: Carrier with bolt installed, and carrier with bolt next to it.

Attachments

• IMAG0053.jpg
      IMAG0053.jpg
      58.7 KB · Views: 342
    • 54.jpg
      54.jpg
      30.1 KB · Views: 263

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members