• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • j2k4r

Apr 11, 2009
    Upper Marlboro
    ttfDPqTl.jpg

sc4xvvbl.jpg

- All I could come up with was a quarter :innocent0

I have a sneaking suspicion that firing the gun has a lot more cleansing force upon anything that may be in the gas port (temperature & velocity can be a seriously great scraping tool) than a pipe cleaner with a little solvent. in fact, I can guarantee it. If the gun fires and cycles, port cleanliness isn't an issue. Port SIZE could in fact be small. That can be remedied with the proper size drill bit....an item which I have in my basement. :)

You speak of possible ejector issues, then talk about bolt replacement. The ejector is not part of the bolt in an AK. It's spot-welded to the left side inside the receiver.

If you weren't implying the latter would solve the former, then it's just me not reading the statement properly, which has happened once or twice to me before. ;)

j2k4r, if you could, perhaps take a photo of the inside of the (field-stripped) receiver, with maybe a penny or dime next to the ejector to show scale? May help myself and others in helping to diagnose without going hands-on. :)

j2k4r

Apr 11, 2009
    Upper Marlboro
    I did try this... and the rounds fly a long way... mind you when I have this issue... It happens about once a range trip... usually between 60 and 100 rounds in. Never happens twice in a row.

first check your gas port - sounds like it could be under gassed causing the FTE issues. give it a good cleaning with a pipe cleaner and some solvent before you try changing out parts. if your gas port is good, check that your ejector is good. take out your firing pin and aggressively hand cycle a mag (follow all the core safety rules). If the rounds aren't flying across the room at the 1-3 o'clock then that is most likely your issue. AKs are not like ARs; you cant just replace the bolt. you'll have to headspace for the new bolt and that can be a lot of work.

friendlyhippo

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 7, 2015
    Glen Burnout
    sounds more and more like maybe just a single round now and then being a bit underpowered? ejector looks fine, extractor looks fine. No excessive wear or peening. Hmph.

j2k4r

Apr 11, 2009
    Upper Marlboro
    i do have a few of the ak-builder gas port drill bits....we could meet up and i could make sure it's not undersized just a bit as well.

I took it out to the range again today... only put 50 rounds through it.. no failures this time. Seemed to be cycling better. I did get a Texas Weapon Systems Dust cover rail kit, and part of the install is putting on their guide wire and spring retainer... gonna take it back out and try putting 200 rounds through it as a real test (dont want to shoot up all of my remaining Arsenal ammo).

Think the problem could be (have been) the buffer spring?

friendlyhippo

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 7, 2015
    Glen Burnout
    entirely possible. i wouldn't doubt they'd re-use (old) buffer springs that came on the kits instead of investing in new ones. math-wise, most of them are probably totally serviceable, and the failure rate, although likely low, would eventually rear its head *SOMEWHERE*.

seems like things are looking up, which is good. :)

j2k4r

Apr 11, 2009
    Upper Marlboro
    Thanks much!

I took it back out to the range today. Put 150 rounds through it. No problems at all.

One side note - the Texas Weapon System Rail with the peep sight on it is a major improvement over both the stock RPK sight and the Mojo I put on after it.

Shot the best groups I ever got out of that gun at 50 yards with irons.

entirely possible. i wouldn't doubt they'd re-use (old) buffer springs that came on the kits instead of investing in new ones. math-wise, most of them are probably totally serviceable, and the failure rate, although likely low, would eventually rear its head *SOMEWHERE*.

seems like things are looking up, which is good. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom