• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shadetech

Fuzzywhomp
    Jan 19, 2009
    I need the advice of the masters out there. Speed V bullet weight. bullet weight V wind. Best weight for barrel twist rate.

I understand the 223 is not the best choice by most for long range, but it is what I can afford to buy as well as buy ammo for. The piece in question is a Colt Hbar Elite 24" barrel with a 1 in 9 twist rate. I need suggestions as to the best projectile weight and why.

Hopefully E Shell will chime in with his expertise as well as others

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    i think some of the guys are shooting the FGMM 77gr 223 for the highpower matches.
    from what i hear it does well
    link
    Yes, and the 77 is probably the heaviest that you 1:9 will shoot well, and it's a decent load if it will shoot. I'm handloading them with RE-15 and my Service Rifle style AR has a Colt barrel and shoots them into less than 1 moa. If the 77s don't shoot well for you, the 69s should, even though they are a little more susceptible to wind and tougher to shoot at very long distances.

I'd suggest calling Rory at USArmorment (K Train's link) and asking him to send out a box of each so you can see which shoot best in your gun. Then, you can either stock up on the better shooting factory ammo or handload an equivalent.

For best results at VERY long ranges, heavier calibers work substantially better, and in your AR-15, the 6.5 Grendell upper is not a bad long range choice, but is a handloading proposition. For the cost of a well done match grade upper is a specialty caliber like this, you might consider tossing a few more bucks at it and going with a Rem PSS ($900) or 5R ($1,100) in .308.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom