• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shift

Ultimate Member
    Apr 11, 2012
    Denton
    I say only about 75 people in comparison to previous days, I imagine 75 is more than usual

drblast33

[This Space for Sale ...]
    I knew today would be smaller but I wasn't expecting only about 75 people

I think the snow/rain really put a damper on it. Lots of people were home with their kids, or couldn't travel through the slush to Annapolis.

Plus, I heard the Bay bridge was closed, and I dont know what time that started... but that couldn't have helped.

Not to mention, we are burned out from testifying... and either no one is in their seat, or they dont care about the unprecedented opposition to these bills.

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    Sorry I couldn't make it today. I think I would have made Smokey look tame if I had to look at Frosh and how futile our efforts are especially in his committee.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    I testified yesterday, but I could not today. I was deterred by 1 1/2 hour drive from Western Frederick County and the forecast. Not to mention getting home last night well after midnight. Of course, the storm was a bust, but who knew.

Ironsighter

It's "Citizen," not "Civilian"
    May 10, 2011
    Down South
    Actually, 75 people is pretty darn good for a bad weather day and the day after a major rally.

I have been coming up with a guy who worked the Virginia legislature. A Virginia pol told him that if three people or small groups turn up in his office to talk about an issue, he thinks it's a big blip on the radar.

Most of the American public are so apathetic that 20 people on top of the professional lobbyists is probably a crowd.

I'm not saying we shouldn't strive to keep the numbers up, but don't get discouraged when our numbers are merely good rather than incredible. We've set a damn high bar for ourselves.

Shift

Ultimate Member
    Apr 11, 2012
    Denton
    Frosh was being a real jerk, 75% of the time he wasn't in the room and when he was in there he wasn't paying any attention. Nancy Jacobs was the only one in there that stayed in her seat and payed attention.

hodgepodge

Senior Member (Gold)
    Sep 3, 2009
    Arnold, MD
    I'm grateful to those who went and those who testified.

I'm dealing with a wife awaiting foot surgery. It was a good day to be home.

I did send out some emails.

Shift

Ultimate Member
    Apr 11, 2012
    Denton
    I'm not saying we shouldn't strive to keep the numbers up, but don't get discouraged when our numbers are merely good rather than incredible. We've set a damn high bar for ourselves.

Doesn't discourage me in the least, I plan to make every trip I can. I'm especially proud of the guys who like myself haven't done this before and are really uncomfortable testifying. They are willing to suck it up and step out of their comfort zone for this important fight. I thank you all.

04RWon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    What happened today? Theres to many other threads with other stuff or that have got off topic. What was todays out come? Whats left?

Shift

Ultimate Member
    Apr 11, 2012
    Denton
    What happened today? Theres to many other threads with other stuff or that have got off topic. What was todays out come? Whats left?

These were today's bills, some good testimonies made, most of the Senators weren't there so who knows what will come of it

SB 445 Sen Ferguson, Public Safety - Handgun Permits - Requirements and
    et al Limitations
    SB 533 Sen Jacobs, et Handguns - School Employees - Handgun Permits and
    al Carrying Weapons on School Property
    SB 540 Sen Raskin, et Public Safety - Regulated Firearms - Reporting
    al Lost or Stolen
    SB 544 Sen Frosh, et Public Safety - Ammunition - Sales Records
    al
    SB 646 Sens Jennings Public Safety - Handgun Permit Background Check -
    and Klausmeier Armored Car Company Employees
    SB 660 Sen Jacobs, et Public Safety - Regulated Firearm License -
    al Reciprocity
    SB 688 Sen Jacobs State Government - Access to Public Records -
    Firearm Ownership Records
    SB 786 Sen Pipkin Crim Proc - Crimes of Violnc Involving Firearms -
    Diminution Credits, Parole, and Plea Agts

Raineman

On the 3rd box
    Dec 27, 2008
    Eldersburg
    Friday 2/6-didn't get in the Senate building until 4PM. NOT because I got there late, but because I was busy knockin' on doors and doing face to face with the legislators.

3/1- #72A - STILL spent all day face to face with legislators on both sides of the street.

3/5- #46C- Knockin' on doors again on both sides of the street, room to room.

Past 3 years- knockin' on doors and testifying for and against other various bills.

I will not make an excuse for not being able to be there today, (or did I just do that?) but I will dang sure thank those that were.

I am not saying that your thread suggest I should. However I know how I have made people feel by saying the same kind of thing.

You say turnout was low. Perhaps as some see it.

Not me. I would bet they expected to see about 7 or 8 of us with the way they feel they have beaten us down and the weather forecast. With 75 (ish...or about 80-90% more than they expected..corrected for the post following mine...or maybe we should ask the media?) showing up, I guarantee it was more than they expected.

You may think it was low, but the numbers were significant, and as has been stated, not just one of us submitted early written testimony. ;)

davek

Feb 4, 2013
    I'm not sure 75 people showed up despite the Federal Government having been closed at 6:00AM... I understand perfectly the western areas were being hit hard, especially by mid-morning. I understand that schools were closed and that made going to Annapolis difficult, but I thought maybe ...

For myself I left western Howard County at around 11:30 when it was snowing very hard. When I got to Rt32 and Rt70 the road was just wet. By the time I passed NSA it was just rain. I got to Annapolis in record time. No cars on the roads. I parked in the Navy parking lot with maybe 10 cars ... I was #62 testifying and I was just about the last person to do so...

I do think people are sick of seeing and hearing us. To be honest it's getting old for me too. You can only hear Patrick Henry speeches so many times. I do however believe we are having an impact. It's too bad that most have given up on this as a done deal. I think many people in Annapolis are impressed with our conduct and demeanor from the security folks, to the office workers, to the legislators themselves. I believe among other things we've brought spirited debate, candor, and quite frankly excitment they probably haven't seen in years, all in a nice, cordial, well regulated militia way. I think we've enlivened Annapolis and the workers there who see the vigor and understand again the importance of their supporting roles in our Government. I saw ordinary citizens, who work for our government, smile in a way validating the work they do.

So, please no Patrick Henry speeches, just calm, unemotional logic on how this impacts you personally and how you feel. The legislators (I think) are in a tough place. They KNOW they just HAVE to do something. Give them ideas of what to do w/o condescending, acusatory tones and fingerpointing. Find bills that are reasonable if they have tweaks and offer the tweaks. Find bills you support and tell them what you support. For bills you don't support tell them what you don't support and why. Tell them in plain language how well intentioned legislation might be abused and consequently criminalize you. Thank them for their long days. (let's be honest 8+ hours of listening to the same old crap and I'd be surfing the web too).

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Today, there 75 more people testifying for our side, than there were antis willing to come out in the weather.

Nixon

Jun 28, 2010
    You know, two or three years ago turning out 75 people for our big pro 2A in Annapolis would have been considered good. My how times have changed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lloyd_Hansen

Latest threads

Top Bottom