• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • VTHokie7

Feb 10, 2010
    Katy, TX
    It's kind of a myth about TX being super pro gun unfortunately. Yea, they're better than MD and NY but a lot of weenies in the legislature being swayed by vague "law enforcement concerns".

The amendment was pushed by the liberals as a poison pill and then some others latched on. Will be a total crock if it falls through. Although in truth I have no intentions of open carrying here. I just liked the extra protection for accidentally showing. Although it's already protected to some degree here.

VTHokie7

Feb 10, 2010
    Katy, TX
    Finally Texas oc made it through the house and senate. Too bad the amendment was stripped to bar police from stopping chl holders to ask for their license. But atleast it will be passed.

krucam

Ultimate Member

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    More likely: 4th amendment violation. Being a felon is not the default status, so the police need to be able to articulate some reason other than having a gun on your hip to stop you.

This has been an issue in VA where police in independent cities with ordinances neutered by state law kept harassing open carriers. It took a couple of expensive lost lawsuits for the police chiefs to get their officers in line. I dont anticipate this being a big issue in TX, the state is chock full of lawyers itching for work.

Odiferous Maximus

Feb 16, 2011
    San Antonio, TX
    It's a good start, but the goal is Constitutional Carry...the mayor and police chief in San Antonio have already said that they plan to use "lawful" means to "discourage" people from OCing. Austin, Houston, and Dallas will probably do the same (guess where all the Libs live?).

Hopefully, after two years of non-events, our legislators will grow some cajones and restore our rights even further.

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV

jc1240

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 18, 2013
    Westminster, MD

Opponents say the notion that armed students would make a campus safer is an illusion that will have a chilling effect on campus life. Professors said they worry about inviting a student into their offices to talk about a failing grade if they think that student is armed.

And more about "inflated grades" at http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/06/0...campus-carry-law-would-bring-grade-inflation/

It really bothers me that people so stupid and devoid of logic are the ones teaching kids.

Kharn

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2008
    Hazzard County
    This has been an issue in VA where police in independent cities with ordinances neutered by state law kept harassing open carriers. It took a couple of expensive lost lawsuits for the police chiefs to get their officers in line. I dont anticipate this being a big issue in TX, the state is chock full of lawyers itching for work.

Virginia Beach still arrests OC'ers on occasion.
    The average pay-out once VCDL gets involved is over $10k.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    Is the campus carry bill one that specifically authorizes carry or one that simply decriminalizes it? Many states have campus carry decriminalized but the leftist elites that run 99.99% of colleges will expel any students caught or fire any teachers caught carrying.

Campus carry is already technically legal in TX, but only on university grounds and not inside buildings. Carry inside of campus buildings is allowed, but only if the school opts-in to it, which predictably, (probably) none have. That was written into the 1995 law that made TX shall-issue.

This new law makes campus carry the default condition for public universities. However, public universities may designate certain "sensitive" areas of their campus to be gun-free and opt-out of carry for them (at least for the law abiding). They cannot decide to have a complete ban on carrying in buildings.

This is a right guaranteed by state law, so students should not be able to be expelled over it. However, I don't recall reading an enforcement mechanism, so I don't know how individuals can recover damages if expelled or fired over it or if officials who do so may be punished.

With this new law, open carry on campus is still illegal, even if open carry is signed into law.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kdaily1127

Latest threads

Top Bottom