• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mossberg Kid

Feb 24, 2012
    Rockville
    Hello, Industry Partner friends.

I have a 1933 Mosin-Nagant 91/30 Hex -- which shoots great and I love firing it, whenever I can get a round into the chamber. But the bolt action is in need of more remedial attention than I, as a noob, am capable of providing at this point in my gun-loving evolution.

The rifle was fairly clean of cosmoline when I purchased it a few months back, and I've since gone to some lengths to make sure it was completely clean, (numerous cleanings, soaking the bolt pieces in boiling hot water, pouring the boiling hot water into the breech and down the barrel, more cleanings), but haven't gone as far as tearing the whole thing apart.

I know that bolt problems are a common issue for those of us who purchase these kinds of surplus rifles, and I'm hoping someone here with some gunsmithing chops has some experience in successfully dealing with this and can help out.

I'm not expecting this to function like a brand new rifle, and I'm not interested in completely sporterizing it (yet). But if somebody could bring the bolt action up to a level comparable with, say, the Yugo Mauser 24/47 I purchased at the gun show the other day, that would be great.

So if any of you IPs have some experience in solving these kinds of problems and you're interested, holler back.

Much thanks.

-The Mossberg Kid-

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Hard extraction on these are due to several issues. The Extractor is one, The smoothness of the Bolts Camming Surfaces is one, the smoothness of the chamber is one, and headspace is another.

While the mosin is not a difficult rifle to tear down and clean it does take time to "tune" one properly. Just going hog wild polishing and filing stuff wont improve the weapon.

I often do the above work but I also turn down alot. Wether I work on a Mosin depends on the condition. I look them over before doing the work and I determine if my work will yield benefits, if it wont Ill tell the customer this instead of stealing their hard earned money.

The next factor is cost. You have a $120.00 long gun. For me to tear it down, do an inspection, and tune/polish key areas properly takes time. Ill be in a Mosin for 2-3 hours. Thats a $175-225.00 labor bill.

Mossberg Kid

Feb 24, 2012
    Rockville
    Okay; thank you. I'm going to think about it before proceeding. It would be cheaper for me to shop for another one than to go through all of that.

But thank you for your honest evaluation and explanation. I respect you for that and will keep you at the very top of my list for future gunsmithing issues.

All the best.

AliasNeo07

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2009
    MD
    Okay; thank you. I'm going to think about it before proceeding. It would be cheaper for me to shop for another one than to go through all of that.

But thank you for your honest evaluation and explanation. I respect you for that and will keep you at the very top of my list for future gunsmithing issues.

All the best.

I know you're new around here, but yes, if you decide to do that keep Chad on your short lost. He does amazing work and is a very fair and honest gunsmith.

My mosin has similar issues...but...its a $100 mosin, I don't care to spend that kind or money to fix it. But I know someone that did and I must say its nice.

Mossberg Kid

Feb 24, 2012
    Rockville
    Cool; thanks, Mike.

A couple of weeks ago at the range, someone shooting nearby showed me his sporterized Mosin, and if I hadn't already spent much of my gun budget AND committed to a S&M M&P Shield, I would have made him an offer. It looked so sweet -- and a wonderfully smooth bolt action. I found it pretty tempting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom