• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bluarms

May 3, 2014
    I recently picked up a couple of Mosin Nagants and am trying to find a local gunsmith to check head spacing for me. No luck so far. Free time is limited so rather than drive from shop to shop I'd rather confirm on phone or via email before I take them in. Any help is appreciated.

ADR

Ultimate Member
    Aug 17, 2011
    Buy/borrow a headspace gauge and check it yourself, it's not difficult to do.

Bluarms

May 3, 2014
    North end of Frederick. My neighbor is a military base and has many large satellite dishes.

Shamr0ck

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2011
    Frederick
    You might try tim Hafer just south of Hagerstown or bob Bollinger in taneytown.

Glade valley may be able to help and get are close to you but are always closed whenever I drive by. They are just north of market and schifferstadt blvd by TJ MIiddle.

--
    Shamr0ck

Shamr0ck

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2011
    Frederick
    I hadn't heard of Walt and I live close to ijamsville. A quick google search turned up:
    Licensee Name: Walt Frear
    By Appointment Only
    Monrovia, MD 21770
    Phone: 240-671-9790

Listing from FFLGundealers.net

--
    Shamr0ck

psycosteve

Meme magic works!!!
    Sep 3, 2012
    Gentrfying the Hagersbush.
    Mid-Maryland gun repair .

11103 hessong bridge rd Frederick MD 21701. They do repairs and custom reloading for SASS . The guy has a row of like 6 550 and 650 Dillon's against the wall. He did the bolt job and sight repair after another shop effed it up.

Shamr0ck

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2011
    Frederick
    Mid-Maryland gun repair .

11103 hessong bridge rd Frederick MD 21701. They do repairs and custom reloading for SASS . The guy has a row of like 6 550 and 650 Dillon's against the wall. He did the bolt job and sight repair after another shop effed it up.

Thanks for posting this - I've heard good things about their work and believe at least one of the smiths/owners belong to Thurmont Conservation.

Any idea what their backlog is or if they specialize in certain work?

--
    Shamr0ck

Bluarms

May 3, 2014
    I actually have made contact with the by on Hesson Bridge Rd. he said he doesn't have the gauges to check a Mosin. I'll have to try the guy in Ijamsville and the other one. I'm at the point now that if I can find a little ammo tomorrow - I am most likely just gonna run out to Cresap and try out the M44. I needs the least amount of cleaning and as far as I can tell, I'm reasonably comfortable with it. I do want to give it a good coeaningmfirst to get the small amount of Cosmoline out of it, look it over some more, and at least check the firing pin adjustment. Still not sure about the 91/30 because it has a lot of Cosmoline in it/on it. I'm leaving that one up in the air until further notice. I'll shoot one round and closely inspect the casing and that will determine if any further rounds are fired. Thanks for the suggestions. Once I find someone I'll post back and let everyone know where I ended I going - if I find someone that is.

Also, anyone familiar with The Gun Center? Their website shows that they do all kinds of gun smithing. I know then from many years ago also. I haven't had any luck with calling, from contacting them via their website. I guess they don't need the business to bother answering their phone or replying to messages. Are they still in business?

Shamr0ck

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2011
    Frederick
    If the gun center is out on rosemont by ft Detrick, many folks won't patronize them any longer as they would not release on time last year.

Their prices tend to be high too as many from the Ft shop there for convenience and don't shop price.

Several times during 2013 they had prices well above MSRP and a devil may care attitude.

Sure there are some who have had different experiences, but I'll not shop there.

--
    Shamr0ck

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    If the gun center is out on rosemont by ft Detrick, many folks won't patronize them any longer as they would not release on time last year.

Their prices tend to be high too as many from the Ft shop there for convenience and don't shop price.

Several times during 2013 they had prices well above MSRP and a devil may care attitude.

Sure there are some who have had different experiences, but I'll not shop there.

--
    Shamr0ck

^^^This

Bluarms

May 3, 2014
    Thanks for the heads up. I have a hectic schedule so I always prefer to either talk by phone or email to see if someone can do what I am looking for. Wen a company never answers their phone, I can only imagine how irritated is beef I had to leave my rifle with then only to not be ale to reach them without walking through their door.

A maybe someone here might know wherein can find some ammo locally. I know where I can get one tomorrow, but its in Woodbine and I drive to Baltimore daily so I'd just as soon not do it on the weekends too.

What I am looking for is some 7.62x54R. I had planned to order a Spam can of surplus but just haven't had a chance. I'm interested in anything between a couple of 20 round boxes of whatever up to a surplus spam can.

Any suggestions?

psycosteve

Meme magic works!!!
    Sep 3, 2012
    Gentrfying the Hagersbush.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Drake1990$