• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shinobi

Jan 4, 2011
    Calvert County
    I'm trying to get one last prize for my collection before October 1st. A new or used FN SCAR in 7.62mm NATO. I am on the waiting list at 2A Arms, but not holding out much hope. Any idea where I might find one?

Capt Skup

Ultimate Member
    Feb 29, 2012
    Calvert County
    I think I saw it there this morning. Give them a call before you take the long drive. Governor O'Malley will extract $6.00 from your pocket for the honor of driving over that well worn bridge.

mtel

Ultimate Member
    Dec 21, 2012
    Virginia
    Completely agree. If were me I'd have the seller take it to an FFL I choose. Have my FFL call, verify possession and condition. If satisfied, send the money directly to the FFL. Pick up the cost for involving this other FFL.

If that didn't work for the seller I'd pass.

Shinobi

Jan 4, 2011
    Calvert County
    Cash and carry raises an interesting point. Since SCAR are non-regulated firearms, I suppose out of state dealers will sell them to us after 1 October. But I guess it will be illegal to bring them into the state.

TxAggie

Ultimate Member
    Feb 25, 2012
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    As long as it passes the copycat test (no Flashider AND folding stock) it wil be cash and carry in and outside of MD post 10/1.

The current ban set to go into effect 10/1 does NOT list the SCAR 17S as a banned rifle. Also, it does not meet banned configuration as it only has 1 evil feature, the folding stock.

As per FNH's website of the SCAR 17S, the barrel has a "compensator" and not a flash hinder like that used on the military version. SB281 clearly defines flash hinder, and a compensator does not meet that definition.

http://www.fnhusa.com/l/products/commercial/carbines/scar-series/scar-17s/

Until another change comes out, bother the 17S and 16S should be good to go post 10/1.

altima98

Apr 6, 2008
    There was a dealer at the Chantilly Gun show had what looked like 3 black 17s Scars, I think the price was $2800.

Glock30Eric

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 4, 2013
    The current ban set to go into effect 10/1 does NOT list the SCAR 17S as a banned rifle. Also, it does not meet banned configuration as it only has 1 evil feature, the folding stock.

As per FNH's website of the SCAR 17S, the barrel has a "compensator" and not a flash hinder like that used on the military version. SB281 clearly defines flash hinder, and a compensator does not meet that definition.

http://www.fnhusa.com/l/products/commercial/carbines/scar-series/scar-17s/

Until another change comes out, bother the 17S and 16S should be good to go post 10/1.

To the OP,

Save your money and buy those guns are about to be banned. SCAR 17/16s will be legal after Oct 1. You just need to remove the flash hinder or whatever then it will be legal. Once you get it to your house and then put the flash hinder or whatever so on it. :)

TxAggie

Ultimate Member
    Feb 25, 2012
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    To the OP,

Save your money and buy those guns are about to be banned. SCAR 17/16s will be legal after Oct 1. You just need to remove the flash hinder or whatever then it will be legal. Once you get it to your house and then put the flash hinder or whatever so on it. :)

Again, the SCAR 17s/16s have COMPENSATORS, not flash hinders. The new law specifically defines a flash hinder as a device intended to reduce muzzle flash "from the shooter's field of vision." Compensators don't affect flash, they affect muzzle movement and are not an evil feature, and most times they increase nighttime flash visible to the shooter.

sfchoffman

Full Battle Rattle
    Feb 18, 2013
    Again, the SCAR 17s/16s have COMPENSATORS, not flash hinders. The new law specifically defines a flash hinder as a device intended to reduce muzzle flash "from the shooter's field of vision." Compensators don't affect flash, they affect muzzle movement and are not an evil feature, and most times they increase nighttime flash visible to the shooter.

While I agree, this is all slilly politics at work here.They will be back together again next session to simply add compensator to the evil list...All they have to say is it is evil because it reduces muzzle climb as the crazy gun nut shoots up the next school...Thats how they think !

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom