• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MDPrinter

Jan 4, 2012
    I want to get a full size 45 for HD and figured since I'm willing to do a full size I may as well get a 1911 since I've always loved how they look.

I am trying to stay at $600 or lower which I know greatly reduces possible choices when it comes to purchasing a 1911. I have been looking on slickguns.com and have come across several brands that I have never heard of and some that ring a bell but I don't know much about.

What are you thoughts on something like:

http://slickguns.com/product/umarex...inless-hogue-7rd-external-3-dot-2247001-54018

I welcome any advise

MDPrinter

Jan 4, 2012
    and please excuse my 1911 ignorance but what does it mean when a 1911 is described as "loaded"?

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    and please excuse my 1911 ignorance but what does it mean when a 1911 is described as "loaded"?

It's an option package springfield armory uses. March barrel, lighweight hammer, target trigger, full length guiderod etc.

Rock island armory does the same kinda thing---they have a "tactical" which means hammer, trigger, sights, etc are all upgraded....

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    FireStorm Government Deluxe or American Classic II's seem to fit the bill. All the nice to haves without the price.

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    Rock Islands are nice! theres one in the classifieds

http://www.mdshooters.com/vbclassified.php?do=ad&id=8653

Very very nice if you want a gi clone but for a competition or HD pistol you will want better sights and cutting the dovetail is expensive. You can do better for a base pistol.... and speaking of which....

FireStorm Government Deluxe or American Classic II's seem to fit the bill. All the nice to haves without the price.

Add in the rock island tactical and you have it covered. Last time I checked Scott's had all three in the display case and you can check them out side by side.

sficksr

Feb 6, 2012
    harford co
    I'm going to also say rock island I own the gi, the sights are not the best but at $400 I can live with it for now. The tactical comes with better novak sights and a slightly higher price tag.

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    Thanks, just saw this one. http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...ock+Island+Armory/API RIA 1911A1 FS 45 TAC 8/

I'll look into it a but further. I definitely like the looks better on some of the other ones out there but for 4 something I guess I'll just have to mod it myself.

You can find that model at several local shops. Gun connection, Scott's etc.

You'll pay a little more than buds price but when you figure out transfer and shipping it'll be about the same.....

MDPrinter

Jan 4, 2012
    You can find that model at several local shops. Gun connection, Scott's etc.

You'll pay a little more than buds price but when you figure out transfer and shipping it'll be about the same.....

Thanks, I usually use the online places as a base line for shopping the local shops. Sometimes buds is just so much cheaper (especially since there isn't any tax) that its hard to justify spending so much more but I don't mind paying 5-10% to help out the local guys.

MDPrinter

Jan 4, 2012
    Heading to On Target as soon as I'm done with Costco. I live in GB so I will probably check out a few more shops tomorrow.

thanks for all of the advise.

HarCo.45

Nov 4, 2010
    I was at Engage today, they had a good selection of 1911s in stock... Including a few RIAs that were under $600 I believe. They also have a springer TRP, but that requires a slightly higher budget.

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    Ive seen the Remington R1 1911 - the Talo go for $599. Not a bad price - its a very nice 1911, I wouldnt mind having one myself.

You get a 2 year premium service with the gun, meaning Remington pays to have it sent back to them, they will do a complete cleaning (beyond normal field stripping) and send it back to you ..on there dime.

Look on Gunbroker.com too. There LOTS of 1911's on there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom