• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AC MkIII

Feb 18, 2011
    Calvert
    What should I be looking for? It is a Sako. It has a bayo. If he still has it I will be seriously looking at buying it this Saturday. What might the value be?
    Thank for the help

Sirex

Powered by natural gas
    Oct 30, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    Heck, if it's a genuine bayonet, the bayonet may be worth more than the rifle. The M39 is a lot better than a standard Mosin. I would guess with no info $400-500?

AC MkIII

Feb 18, 2011
    Calvert
    The bayo has peaked my interest. He has the sheath too. He knows what it is worth but I have to make sure that I don't spend too much. I don't mind spending retail I just don't want to spend over retail.

MilsurpDan

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2012
    Frederick County
    The bayo has peaked my interest. He has the sheath too. He knows what it is worth but I have to make sure that I don't spend too much. I don't mind spending retail I just don't want to spend over retail.

Make sure the bayo is real or fake. Real M39 bayonets are very rare and there are quite a few repros out there now. I've come across numerous sellers who say that they have a genuine M39 bayonet, then come to find out its just a repro

lee2

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 8, 2007

Attachments

• dr-evil.jpg
      dr-evil.jpg
      23.9 KB · Views: 237

AC MkIII

Feb 18, 2011
    Calvert
    That is my biggest concern. There are obvious bayonet reproductions(blued, font, cheesey sheath) but are there good ones?

h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County
    Authentic bayonets are selling for a minimum of $450 these days, with many topping out at $600. Yes-just the M39 bayonet.

For the Sk.Y M39, there are a couple of things that affect the value among Finn collectors. A standard price will be about $450 for the most common year (1943). Most sellers these days are asking more than this as a starting price.

If it's a '42, the price should go higher. A '44 will command an even higher premium.

The main thing to look for next to a matching bolt serial is the stock cartouche.
    For '42s and '43s, the stock should have a cartouche that matches the year of the barrel.
    They didn't make '44 dated stocks, so the correct stock for a '44 rifle will be '43 dated.

Now, the next variable is personal preference. I don't buy rifles that have gone through a refurb. Mine look WELL used. A number of the Sk.Y contract M39s went through a depot refurb and look brand new. Many people and casual collectors prefer that and will pay more from examples in that condition.

Just keep in mind-If the seller has a legit bayonet with the rifle and knows what they are worth, he will ask for a minimum of $900 for the combo.

Good luck with your purchase :thumbsup:

AC MkIII

Feb 18, 2011
    Calvert
    H2u, thanks.
    With the condition it is in I believe it had a factory referb.
    It being a Civil Guard could it have seen no action and be in good shape.
    Like I said I didn't take a really good look at it just enough to see what it was.

Last edited:

Sirex