• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shinobi

Jan 4, 2011
    Calvert County
    I ended up getting a CZ 452 Varmint from Bass Pro shop this weekend. So, if I want to shoot targets or varmints at 100 or 200 yards, what ammo would you recommend?

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    I would have bought the .17 HMR????

That said CCI mini-mags at 1300 FPS but that is really going to stretch their capabilities.

Calengor

wishes he were spike
    Apr 13, 2009
    Frederick, MD
    When I was shooting with Ed Shell the other day he recommended Regular Velocity ammo for better consistency with my 452 trainer. I've had good success with CCI mini mags, and I've heard great things about Lapua .22 ammo.

Fishguy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2009
    Montgomery County
    What about CCI Velocitor?

Out to 200 yards, that would be a good one to try because of the high velocity and heavy bullet, but 200 is a b*#%h with a 22lr. At a hundred yards, most anything will make it out there with varying accuracy, you just need to try every different box of ammo you can get and see what works best. Subsonic or standard velocity is best for 100 yards because there is no problem with the bullet passing through the transonic barrier and getting screwy. But at 200, the drop difference between 100 and 200 yards on a 40 grain high velocity 22lr is 32 or 33 inches and couple that with just a little bit of wind, and it can make for a frustrating day at the range.

I've shot mine at 200 yards a number of times and have yet to figure out a good ammo for that range. Need much more practice.

Shinobi

Jan 4, 2011
    Calvert County
    Bowling balls and boxers might have knock down power, but bullets don't. Bullets kill by punching holes, causing blood loss, and destroying vital tissue, not by knocking things down.

What about Aguila Interceptors?

Shinobi

Jan 4, 2011
    Calvert County
    Anyway, thanks for all your opinions. I just ordered some CCI Mini-Mag 40 grain ball and 36 gr hollowpoint, and CCI Velocitor and Aguila Interceptors based on your recommendations. Will let you know the results. It's nice that .22s are cheap enough that i can try them all!

LeadPumper

Jul 20, 2008
    .22 at 200...

I've done it, but it takes some doing (and good wind reading). I set up a Savage Mk II BTV thumbhole for plinking at 100 and 200 yrds.

Was doing some ammo testing (lots of variation at that range) and was settling on Wolf Match Target as a standard when 3rdRcn gave me a box of Wolf Match Extra to try. Noticable difference for the better.

Try as many different quality types of ammo you can, .22s are finicky enough, but at that range they are even more so.

-Jeff

BeltBuckle

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2008
    MoCo, MD
    did a lot of .22 shooting those distances when I was growing up (in Arizona...). Found it worked best/was a lot of fun to the extent that I approached the rifle almost as though it were a mortar:lol2:

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    I use the Aguila Match Rifle in mine.

This target was out of a scoped 10/22 with that ammo. First shot, honest ;)

Attachments

• 200yard target.jpg
      200yard target.jpg
      21.8 KB · Views: 502

Schwabe

Ultimate Member
    Nov 20, 2010
    Sho'a
    Ever hear of Hydrostatic shock?

.... yeah ... but never in conjuntion with a .22LR. A .22lr does not have the speed nor kinetic energy to cause it at any distance.

the only shock you have with .22s is

Duuuuuuude, you shot me .... with a TWENTY-TOO, fo' real?????

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom