• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BurkeM

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2014
    Baltimore
    Buy a new long gun in MoCo and, if you are not prepared, you will need to buy a gun case and TSA approved lock to bring it home.
    Nope.

Montgomery Co restrictions were blocked by State Judge.

------------
    Chapter 57. Weapons.
    C
    Sec. 57-8. Child safety handgun devices and handguns.
    (a) Findings. The unintentional discharge of handguns often causes accidental death or injury to children. Additional safeguards are needed to protect children from injury or death from the unintentional discharge of loaded and unlocked handguns. Requiring a firearm dealer who transfers a handgun to provide a child safety handgun device when a handgun is transferred can prevent unintentional injuries and fatalities to children.
    (b) Child safety handgun device.
    (1) A firearm dealer who sells, leases, or otherwise transfers a handgun in the County must provide to the recipient of the handgun a child safety handgun device for the handgun at the time of the transfer. The dealer may charge for the child safety handgun device.
    (2) A person who purchases or otherwise receives a handgun from a firearm dealer (or any transferor who would be a firearm dealer if the transfer occurred in the State) after October 8, 1997 must obtain a child safety handgun device for the handgun:
    (A) at the time of a transfer in the County; or
    (B) before entering the County with the handgun if the transfer occurred outside the County and the transferee resides in the County.
    (c) Notices.
    (1) A firearm dealer who sells, leases, or otherwise transfers a handgun must post conspicuously in the dealer’s place of business a notice of:
    (A) the requirement in subsection (b) for a child safety handgun device; and
    (B) the prohibition in State law of storing or leaving a loaded firearm in a location where an unsupervised child can gain access to the firearm.
    (2) If the firearm dealer transferring a handgun does not maintain a place of business in a commercial establishment, the dealer must
    provide the notices required by paragraph (1) in writing when transferring the handgun.
    (d) Enforcement. The Department of Health and Human Services and any other department designated by the County Executive enforces this section.

Sec. 57-10. Keeping guns on person or in vehicles.
    It shall be unlawful for any person to have upon his person, concealed or exposed, or in a motor vehicle where it is readily available for use, any gun designed to use explosive ammunition unless:
    (a) Lawful mission. Such person is then engaged upon a lawful mission for which it is necessary to carry a gun upon his person; or
    (b) Special guard, special police, etc. Such person is employed as a special guard, special police officer or special detective and has been lawfully deputized by the sheriff for the county, or has been appointed a constable in the county, or has been licensed under the laws of the state, should such a law be enacted, to carry such gun and then is on or in the immediate vicinity of the premises of any employer whose occupation lawfully requires the employment of a person carrying a gun while in the discharge of the duties of such
    employment; or
    (c) Military service. Such person is then lawfully engaged in military service or as a duly authorized peace officer; or
    (d) Hunting, target practice, etc. Such person is engaged in lawful hunting, drill, training or target practice on property of which he is the owner or lessee or on property with the prior permission of the owner or lessee thereof; or
    (e) Going to or returning from hunting, target practice, etc. Such person is engaged in going to or from lawful hunting, drill training or target practice, or in delivering such gun to or carrying it from a gunsmith or repairman, or is engaged in any other lawful transfer of possession; provided, that such person shall be on or traveling upon a public highway or property of which he is the owner or lessee or on
    property with the prior permission of the owner or lessee thereof; provided further, that such gun shall not be loaded with explosive ammunition. (1981 L.M.C., ch. 42, § 1; 2001 L.M.C., ch.11, § 1.)
    Editor's note—Section 57-10, formerly § 57-7, was renumbered pursuant to 2001 L.M.C., ch. 11, § 1.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Here we go, Montgomery county and what they say.
    F*&ck mongery county. Explosive ammunition, wtf are they talking about,
    What about the rest of the country side?
    Up until there was all kinds of what happens in Montgomery county, and how far the dog parks were or where there was school or some other sh&t for someone who just got all trained and kitted up to pack heat.
    No one, and I mean no one, had to even question how to transport a long gun around here in Fuddville.
    But now, all of the sudden I may or may not have to put my Fu**in rifle, or shotgun in a damn case, as well as my ammo? And then lock it.
    It was right in there from the beginning and who, has the answer to what never had to be questioned before?
    Permit holders, sensitive places is how I read it. This question was asked here once already and no real answer was presented.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Is this another “gun shop employee said”
    Or “HQL instructor said”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    I heard a new one today - I don't recall seeing it here on the board, but it's certainly plausible with Maryland being Maryland, but I was told that as of October 1st Maryland now requires locks on long gun cases, and the guy had a little TSA zipper lock on the zippers of his shotgun bag.

Is that an actual thing? He said that he heard it from a guy who worked at a range, and said that the guy was really making a big deal about it - claimed that it was law that went into effect on October 1st.

I figured that something that inane would have been mentioned on here at least once, but this is the first I've heard anything of the sort. With that said, we DO live in Maryland, so even something that crazy sounding could actually be plausible, so I figured I'd ask the MDS Forum brain trust.
    No such law or change in the law exists for regular transport.
    There was an addition to the law that any firearm transported in a sensative place would need to be a in a locked container or case.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Whats the penalty for doing so? Or getting randomly pulled over by a cop and having a half open box of steel shot placed in your backseat in a non locked container?
    Maybe a shell bag or something with a zipper only.
    No penalty at all. No requirement in State Statute to have ammo in a locked container of any type.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    You guys have confirmed what I thought - that no such law exists. It could be that he's thinking about it from the perspective of the fact that it's being transported on the back seat of a double-cab pickup, rather than the trunk, and therefore it's supposed to be in a locked case, but otherwise, I didn't think it was actually a law.

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    Gunpowder burns and makes pressure, it doesn't explode.
    Even the two types of cordite.
    Just a little gunpowder 101 for those that already dont know.
    Evidently, in Montgomery county however, it does.
    Boom.
    I doubt anyone on the MoCo County Council knows the difference between detonation and deflagration. Their just using odd, non-standard wording because they know nothing about firearms other than they're scared of them and don't want anyone other than those who guard them to have them.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    You guys have confirmed what I thought - that no such law exists. It could be that he's thinking about it from the perspective of the fact that it's being transported on the back seat of a double-cab pickup, rather than the trunk, and therefore it's supposed to be in a locked case, but otherwise, I didn't think it was actually a law.
    Again, There is no such requirement to transport a long gun in a case (locked or otherwise) in any part of your vehicle, in State Statute.

You could lean it up in the passenger seat and there is absolutely nothing in State Statute that would prevent that.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    I doubt anyone on the MoCo County Council knows the difference between detonation and deflagration. Their just using odd, non-standard wording because they know nothing about firearms other than they're scared of them and don't want anyone other than those who guard them to have them.
    I seem to recall that all the definitions MD uses for firearms describe a projectile driven by an explosion. Of course it's wrong, that's not how it works, but I doubt it would invalidate them in court.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    This is what I think they are referring to. But I think what is being referenced is an exception to the sensitive place list. It does not apply in other situations but Mark P can clarify View attachment 446109
    This is an exception provision to the bans otherwise imposed in that Section, and thus applies only to transport of a firearm taking place in a location that is otherwise prohibited by the Section. If you are outside such areas, transport as you did before.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom