• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • zombiehunter

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2008
    So the state gave documents defending their position that shows long gun carry is legal. Awesome.

What I'd like to see happen:
    Msi organized long gun meet and greet with del. Smeigal?

nomo613

Nov 24, 2010
    pikesville
    i always thought this was the law, but then how come continental gave my brother in law grief about this? he walked in with an unloaded mossy 500 under his coat only to not freak out anyone who might see it outside. when he came in and pulled it from under his coat they yelled at him for concealed carry without a permit! they wouldnt let him leave the store untill he put it in a garbage bag. he told them they probably know the law better then him but he has gone to many ranges like this without any complaint. they also called carrying your gun from the back wall of the range to your booth carrying without permit. is the law more strict in a shooting range, or does the dude with the long hair have nothing better to complain about?

shawn

Oct 23, 2007
    Just had a thought.

We need to consider the Arizona tragedy factor.

If people or the Police see someone walking around with an AK they might automatically think "active shooter" scenario.

Forget getting hasseled by the police or getting arrested.......if you are walking with a long gun and the police yell "stop" and maybe you didnt hear them and turn around and ask "what did you say" you might get shot without even a getting chance to explain yourself.

Not saying we shouldnt do it.....Just something to think about.

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    Just had a thought.

We need to consider the Arizona tragedy factor.

If people or the Police see someone walking around with an AK they might automatically think "active shooter" scenario.

Forget getting hasseled by the police or getting arrested.......if you are walking with a long gun and the police yell "stop" and maybe you didnt hear them and turn around and ask "what did you say" you might get shot without even a getting chance to explain yourself.

Not saying we shouldnt do it.....Just something to think about.

This is my concern, as well.

Think about it: You're looking out of your living room window, and some guy comes walking by carrying an AR, mag inserted. Are you going to call the police?

shawn

Oct 23, 2007
    This is my concern, as well.

Think about it: You're looking out of your living room window, and some guy comes walking by carrying an AR, mag inserted. Are you going to call the police?

I personally wouldnt but most people in this state probably would.

jonnyl

Ultimate Member
    Sep 23, 2009
    Frederick
    Gansler said in the brief that (I'm paraphrasing) someone could carry a long gun the same way someone with a permit can carry a hand gun. What inconsistencies/issues do we see with the other laws.

Demonstrations - 4-208- looks like there's no exception for people with permits, so even if MD went Shall issue tomorrow no carrying at parades, speeches, etc... Is that correct?

Loaded in the car? - There seem to be some statues regarding a rifle in the car must be unloaded, but people with permits are clearly able to have loaded guns in the cars with them.

Regulated - Several folks have mentioned carrying un-regulated long guns, but I think it's pretty clear that regulated doesn't matter. Anyone see issues there?

Other pitfalls? (other than the obvious of probably getting arrested and let off a few $1K's later..)

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    I personally wouldnt but most people in this state probably would.

I'm a shooting enthusiast- I have a collection of fine arms, roll my own, and regularly compete in a few different shooting styles. I am a member of the NRA, GoA, MSI, SAF, USPSA, IDPA, Quantico Shooters Club, and Hap Baker.

However, I live in the city; if I saw some guy walking down the street with an AR and a vest full of mags, I'm calling 911.

A holstered pistol wouldn't even get a second look.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    While you won't get locked up for carrying a long gun, you'd probably be hard pressed avoiding a "disturbing the piece" charge.

Sorry, carrying a firearm legally is not sufficient to warrant a disturbing the peace charge and the second amendment is quite clear that this is a CIVIL RIGHT.

Acting in a threatening manner or discharging said firearm might be an offense, but simply slinging it over the shoulder and walking down the street won't get it. No way that would survive a legal challenge from any attorney that wasn't completely coked out.

Mark

jonnyl

Ultimate Member
    Sep 23, 2009
    Frederick
    While you won't get locked up for carrying a long gun, you'd probably be hard pressed avoiding a "disturbing the piece" charge.

Definitely agree, I guess I have two issues. One is that I think there are laws on the books that contradict in part to what the AG claimed in the brief. But also, feeling like I don't want him to get away with making a claim that can't actually be put into practice.

Since "assembly" includes 1 person, you couldn't even clear it with the local Sheriff and stand on the corner handing out "Ask me about my rifle" flyers.

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    Sorry, carrying a firearm legally is not sufficient to warrant a disturbing the peace charge and the second amendment is quite clear that this is a CIVIL RIGHT.

Acting in a threatening manner or discharging said firearm might be an offense, but simply slinging it over the shoulder and walking down the street won't get it. No way that would survive a legal challenge from any attorney that wasn't completely coked out.

Mark

Are you a police officer? (I don't remember...) I'm curious of what other police on the forum think. If they saw a guy walking through the Inner Harbor carrying an AR, would they question them? Take them for a ride? Are there any charges that would stick?

Boxcab

MSI EM
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 22, 2007
    AA County
    Why do it?

To de-sensatize both the Police and civilians.

This would be a learning endeavour. The Police will need to get up to speed and the civilians will need to get up to speed. If nobody does it out of fear, then it is not a Right at all, but a loss of Rights.

Am I going to do it?

I'm not on board yet. I'm also not going to call 911, like some people on this board say they would, if I see someone exercising their right. I grew up in areas where people did openly carry pistols and rifles down the street, gun racks in every truck and a population that just accepted them as tools. Safest towns I ever lived in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom