• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • robmints

Ultimate Member
    Jan 20, 2011
    When I first saw this post I thought it was an accidental. But that was just a flat out murder. I don't see the gun availability as the main problem on this one. Knife, brick, hammer, i think the little freak would have used whatever was at hand. More likely a Know Your Kid issue, or other parental problem.

Firearm availability was not going to stop or encourage the little timmy mcveigh we had there.

jc1240

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 18, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    When I first saw this post I thought it was an accidental. But that was just a flat out murder. I don't see the gun availability as the main problem on this one. Knife, brick, hammer, i think the little freak would have used whatever was at hand. More likely a Know Your Kid issue, or other parental problem.

Firearm availability was not going to stop or encourage the little timmy mcveigh we had there.

Sadly, this. His own siblings. :(

lamontjb

Aug 13, 2014
    they need to lock up these parents who left access to their children to firearms unsupervised too.

Is it a law to secure firearms in the home or are you proposing such law exist? I think Massachusetts is the only state that requires this...

john_bud

Ultimate Member
    Sep 23, 2009
    Lock up you firearms people!

http://news.yahoo.com/florida-teen-kills-brother-shoots-other-sibling-then-035344400.html

Thread title is dual purpose, they need to lock up these parents who left access to their children to firearms unsupervised too.

Such a tragedy, completely unavoidable.

You are assuming it was the parents or adult child's weapon. Could have been a weapon used for armed robbery or other illegal thuggery by the shooter. My $0.02 is on the shooter being a gang member and it was "his gun" illegally obtained and "unknown" to the parent.

still a sad result.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Only thing they could have locked up to help prevent this was the 13yo psyco that murdered his family, locking up guns, cleaning chemicals, knives, pointy things, flammable stuff, and basically everything else in the house might have postponed it, maybe mitigated it if the young murderer couldn't find the keys or bust a lock, but wouldn't have prevented it. Securing firearms has nothing to do with it no need for a condescending PSA from the highest of horses IMO, especially to a community of shooters and parents that are better educated in gun safety and more responsible than most.

bkuether

Judge not this race .....
    Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD
    So I am a parent of 2.

My kids have been out shooting with me, and are always welcome to go with me. In fact I enjoy having them and teaching them. It is time for them to learn about the fun of shooting, and the necessary safety in order for them to become responsible owners themselves someday.

I keep my guns locked up. It is just the right thing to do. I know some will argue if you teach them right you have nothing to worry about. I don't hide them when I clean them, and explain to them how the cleaning works.

I think the best thing you can do as a gun owner with kids is involve them, and don't try to shield them from the fact that you own them. If they want to see them, let them see. Hold them, sure, but enforce safety rules. When they are not a mystery, THEN you have nothing to worry about, and they won't be checking the safe every day to see if you left it open.

I was 11 once. Had I found a gun, I would have kept it hidden from my parents. I certainly know better now, but my current 11 yo does not.

webb297

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2010
    Bowie
    Is it a law to secure firearms in the home or are you proposing such law exist? I think Massachusetts is the only state that requires this...

I do not believe that laws should be required for things that are common sense.

If a weapon that you are responsible for is used by one of your children to kill (anybody really) another of your children, and you did not take adequate steps to prevent access to said deadly weapon to an underage child, you should be held accountable for the actions taken.

A sad story.

Absolutely. As sad as they come.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom